RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Goldberg Tiger Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11213467-goldberg-tiger-club.html)

bikerbc 11-21-2012 05:08 AM

RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

Leroy with regards to your question about ailerons...I have not shortened the ailerons on a Tiger yet but I have done it on an Ultra Sport..The Late Minn Flyer Encouraged that in his build thread.. You use the inboard 9 " for flaps and the rest for ailerons..You dont need to increce the width of the ailerons to make up for them bein shorter ..The outboard portion of the ailerons are the most effective part..It works so well on my Ultra Sport that I am going to try it on my next Tiger 60..

Leroy Gardner 11-21-2012 04:40 PM

Thanks biker but I already have made new T.E. spar for a builtup aileron thats 2 1/2" X 15". Ribs are modified and extra ribs made from lite birch ply to suport wing tube. what I'm doing will get posted as I start assembly, still making small parts and working out the fuse. mods. to accomodate wings and DLE 20 install.

bikerbc 11-22-2012 04:16 AM

I mam looking forward to your build. I am going to build another Tiger after Christmas

carlgrover 11-22-2012 05:22 AM

Can someone give me the thrust line on a Skytiger Jr? I was given one without plans and don't know how high to mount the engine on the firewall. I'm planning on using a K&B .28.

Thanks,

Carl

nh4clo4 11-24-2012 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick picture of my progress this weekend. I took one bay off of each wing, enlarged the rudder and elevators by 1 inch. Planning on keeping it light with a 91 4 stroke. Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

bikerbc 11-25-2012 04:00 AM

Leo I like Your Idea of putting the DLE 20 on the front of your Tiger to help with the balance issues...I am presently building two 10 ft Spitfire's so have no room on my workbenches but I sure feel like building another Tiger...The way it is going I will not be building a tiger this winter ..I now have a Hanger 9 PA18 Super Cub to assemble too....I am not complaining , I will just have to be satisfied with watching you build yours for now...I like your Ideas...When you increase the size of your rudder and elevator if you do it to the leading edge you will have a better surface for hinging...( just a thought ) .

jkr_1100 11-25-2012 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

Here's a quick picture of my progress this weekend. I took one bay off of each wing, enlarged the rudder and elevators by 1 inch. Planning on keeping it light with a 91 4 stroke. Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

I can't wait to hear your results with the .91. What brand .91 is it? Thanks for the PICs you are well on your way. The roll rate is so good the wing hardly need to be shortened. I would love to come have a turn on the sticks with that airframe. You will love it for sure.

I know it sounds like minutia, but what type of pushrods and linkages are you planning to use?

bikerbc 11-25-2012 08:48 AM

Thought those snap off tabs were supposd to be on the bottom of the wing..Am I rembering wrong? Or do you just have it set up that way for pics?

nh4clo4 11-25-2012 10:35 AM

Yeah the wings are upside down for the pictures, hope to have them sheeted and read to join the halves later today.

Not sure on the push rods yet, before I glue the rest of the fuse, I will figure it out.

It will be a magnum 91, have had a lot of success with them.

I did the same to my Tiger 2 as far as clipping the wings, with reduced dihedral, and was very happy.

I think I will do outboard ailerons and inboard flaps on it.
Ed<br type="_moz" />

rye 11-25-2012 12:34 PM

hi
how much did you reduced the dihedral buy and does the reduced wing lenght make it fly better?thanks rye

nh4clo4 11-25-2012 02:25 PM

I added 1 inch to the rudder and 3/4" to the elevators. If you look at my post on page three of this thread, there is a picture of my Tiger 2.

I removed some dihedral and clipped the wings. It was a fantastic flier, but the stock rudder and elevators were not quite where I like it.

It should be fine.
Ed<br type="_moz" />

Crazy4Flight 11-25-2012 03:03 PM

Its not a Tiger, but I did manage to put a plane on the Xmas tree.

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Leroy Gardner 11-26-2012 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I gota get something going here. Pict's. will show some of the mods. I'm doing, most ribs are cut, trailing spar and leading edge of aileron is made and drilled for 3/16" Robart hinge points. I had to build a sleeve for wing tube ( that was fun ) rapped aluminum tube with 1.5 oz. glass and it was a bummer to get off. Fuse. as you can see it is getting a make over, raising the foward deck 1" so I can raise the engine and canopy section will lift off to get at electronics and such and the wing will be raised 3/4" also. Still a few things to work out, like how much the dihedral will be. anyway here are some pict's. for starters.

Leroy Gardner 11-27-2012 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could it be that I started my build on the wrong thread ?. I got the impression that with all the guys joining that there was going to be a building party going on here. Sounded like several were ready to start their builds, "oh well".

I got the main wing halves with the joiner tube in them done today, dihedral is 1/2" per wing half or 1 percent, I hope I did'nt reduce it too much. Wing section of fuse. is next and final fit of wings can be done to the fuse. I did'nt shorten the wings so I will have a total length of 74".

This can be a fast build but I'm going to drag it out and see if there are any joiners going to get it on.

thailazer 11-28-2012 12:44 AM

Leroy, your build here on this thread is great so keep it up. Did you use any release compound when you made the glass wing tubes? Don't see how you could have gotten them off if you didn't use some type of anti-bonding material.

The dehederal should be perfect. I've build many planes with zero dehederal with no problems flying. (Makes a fast build with 48 inch spar material and sheeting.)

bikerbc 11-28-2012 04:41 AM

I am watching your build Leroy but unable to start mine at the present time..I have two ten foot spitfire builds going on in my shop and there is just not enough room to start another...I would really like to , you are making me jellous...I also have a 1/4 scale Hanger 9 PA18 I have to squeeze in here after Christmas but it is an ARF so it will not tie up space for much more than a week...Please keep up your build thread. I am finding your ideas interesting

nh4clo4 11-28-2012 07:21 AM

Leroy, your dihedral should be fine,  I prefer just enough dihedral so the wing doesn't look droopy, Mine is about where yours is.<div>ED</div>

Leroy Gardner 11-28-2012 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: thailazer

Leroy, your build here on this thread is great so keep it up. Did you use any release compound when you made the glass wing tubes? Don't see how you could have gotten them off if you didn't use some type of anti-bonding material.

The dehederal should be perfect. I've build many planes with zero dehederal with no problems flying. (Makes a fast build with 48 inch spar material and sheeting.)
Hi Toivo, well I'll hang out here but I'm going to slow down some. Wing tube, "oh yea", I got it off but not because it slid off and yes I waxed the heck out of it but had to split it. Too much shrinkage, even heated it but it wouldnt budge. I had another 3/4" tube, part of a inner tent pole that I put a 1&1/2 wide strip of packing tape on, waxed it up and slid split tube on with seam centered on tape and 1/2 tube at a time wrapped with another course of glass removed and slid back on and did the other end, worked perfectly and joiner tube fit is very nice. All in all it did'nt take that long. I hafta admit I cussed some trying to get it off, ha ha, but was'nt funny at the time. Thats how ya learn stuff but you still nead a working brain to figure some stuff out.

I'll take your word on the dihedral, others are saying the same thing so thanks for your input.

Leroy Gardner 11-28-2012 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

I am watching your build Leroy but unable to start mine at the present time..I have two ten foot spitfire builds going on in my shop and there is just not enough room to start another...I would really like to , you are making me jellous...I also have a 1/4 scale Hanger 9 PA18 I have to squeeze in here after Christmas but it is an ARF so it will not tie up space for much more than a week...Please keep up your build thread. I am finding your ideas interesting

I'm the guy thats jellous, wish I could afford two big builds and a Tiger at the same time. Every since I retired from Lowe's I gave up alot of expendable income so I'll get by with less expensive builds, there is alot of nice kits out there but this coming year is giong to be devoted to flying as I'm way behind on hours in the air.

Glad you like my build, bashing is fun and my first go at it, way to easy out of the box-I need a challenge to make it intresting. After the TF 1/5 mustang this is a piece of cake.

Pict. of my last one.

bikerbc 11-28-2012 01:21 PM

Well Leo it is not as bad as it sounds , one of the Spits will be my buddys plane so of course he is paying for that one...Good thing too because although I have been avioding adding it all up I think we are looking at over $1000. each with the retratcs and DLE30's...It adds up... I too need to get in more air time...I really want too try and get some in this winter...I will fly floats off the snow..

nh4clo4 11-28-2012 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the wing mounted and the landing gear mounted.
set the wheel pants to see how they might look.
ed

Leroy Gardner 11-28-2012 09:38 PM

Where can I buy front gear, some place that shows dimentions of base, width and length. All I find is pict's. with no specs, don't know how they sell stuff, they do have a price thow. Plane is a tail dragger if that helps.

Thanks all.

ed, your plane is looking good, where did you get your gear ?.

nh4clo4 11-28-2012 10:07 PM

It's a big stik 60 Arf gear. I have a 120 4 stroke on it, and needed taller gear for prop clearance, these fit the 60 Tiger perfectly.
Ed

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXBNA9&amp;P=Z

14.00 not a bad price<br type="_moz" />

bikerbc 11-28-2012 11:35 PM

Front gear mount is just 1/4 ply epoxyed in place and reinforced with tri stock I believe..Is there not a tail dragger mod in the plans ? It is in the fuse rite on the leading edge of the wing......You have done way harder stuff already...I think about 6/32 blind nuts in the ply...Is that what you were asking?

hairy46 11-29-2012 06:34 AM

Great thread guys keep it up! Good read!