RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Goldberg Tiger Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11213467-goldberg-tiger-club.html)

Leroy Gardner 11-29-2012 10:20 AM

RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

It's a big stik 60 Arf gear. I have a 120 4 stroke on it, and needed taller gear for prop clearance, these fit the 60 Tiger perfectly.
Ed

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBNA9&P=Z

14.00 not a bad price<br type=''_moz'' />
Ed thanks for that, it looks like what I'm after. 14" wide is ok, is the mounting surface 4" wide on your's and how tall is it from base to axle. I will probably have to use a 16 x 8 prop to properly load engine and idle low enough to slow down for landings, I have got alot of info. on the DLE 20 on the Gas Engines site and that prop is best performer on that engine. Your 120 will turn a fair size also, hows your ground clearance with the prop your useing.

It's really great having this kind of help and support Ed, thanks alot

Leroy Gardner 11-29-2012 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Front gear mount is just 1/4 ply epoxyed in place and reinforced with tri stock I believe..Is there not a tail dragger mod in the plans ? It is in the fuse rite on the leading edge of the wing......You have done way harder stuff already...I think about 6/32 blind nuts in the ply...Is that what you were asking?
Thanks biker, no I worded it wrong, I need the gear leg and mount sizes before I can go much farther. I suppose I can get the mounting plate in, have to do it anyway and can put the blind nuts in later, it's easier to do before it's glued in thow.

nh4clo4 11-29-2012 06:25 PM

the 120 is on my big stik, I have a 91 on the Tiger,

With this gear a 15" prop is no problem approx 2-3 " clearance with the tail wheel on the ground and 1.5" when the tail is level, so you will lose another 1/2" with the 16",

I was running a 14-10 on the 120 big stik, it was way faster than a 60 size escapade with a DLE 20, I put taller landing gear to run a 16-6, and the vertical was way better, could actually hover it, and pull out, but lost some top speed.

One club member put a three bladed prop on the dle and had great results, another way to get some more clearance.
Ed

Leroy Gardner 11-29-2012 09:16 PM

Crap, server timed out. I still would like the length of that gear and base width. the thrust line is different between the two planes which may help. Thanks

bikerbc 11-30-2012 01:24 AM

I am using the Du-Bro Super Strength landing gear on my tiger... It is 4.5" from the bottom of the plane to the axel 14" wide and mount is 3 5/8" I am swininging a 14" prop and when the tail is up it clears the ground 2" ... This is fantastic gear..You can not bend it..It is paintable...No bounce The Du-Bro Number is 789 Take a look at it I am using it on everything it will fit on I like it so much... I am only using 2.75 wheels on my tiger , if you needed a bit more ground clearance you could get it quit easily by puttit a larger set of wheels ,lowering the axel a wee bit and addind a extra plate on the bottom of the fuse...My ground clearance measurments were accurate with the tail very high...I think you could easily get away with a 16" prop...Du-bro's price for the gear is $14.70

Leroy Gardner 11-30-2012 12:03 PM

Biker where is Sorrento,I have rode all over Eastern B.C. and much of Western Alberta ( Venture 1500 ) love it up there, have'nt been up for some time and don't ride anymore. Anyway you get a star today for actually reading the post "and" giving an answer, thank you so much. I'm getting to like you.

I took your measurements to the shop and laid it all out with 2 1/2 " wheels and I get 1 3/4 " of clearence on plane which will work just fine. Question, where did you get the gear from. Nice having you along for this build, take care.

P.S. I don't think tundra tires would look good on a Tiger,ha ha.

I checked the gear out at Tower Hobby and it's injection molded, not sure I like that. You said it won't break but will it support a 8 to 10 lb. plane?. A .61 is a 7 lb. plane and thats the max. it's rated at. I really like the looks of it thow, just can't emagine the composition used to get that kind of strength.

bikerbc 11-30-2012 01:25 PM

Sorrento is in the interior of BC Close to Kamloops. We have western Canadas biggest anual float fly here every fall..Its called the Shuswap Fall Clasic It was featured in the Fly RC Mag a while back... If you are ever in the area the long weekend in September take it in..We even have pilots from as far as Australia come...Lots of very cool planes and fun .times..This last year I won 3 planes..I came home with a 120 Seagull Spacewalker And and a bind and fly Albatros and a Shoestring ARF , I was a lucky boy...I gave the Shoestring to my Buddy because he always gives me stuff...I picked that Du-Bro gear up at Lesters Hobbies in Vernon BC..Anybody that handles DU-Bro Should have it or at least be able to get it within a week or so.......If you like PM me and we can swap riding stories..I am not sure if this stroke will effect my riding or not...I sure hope not...Thanks for the nice comments..

nh4clo4 12-01-2012 07:57 AM

Well one week and I am ready for final sanding and finishing. I keep getting 500 server error, I will try later to upload pictures
ed

rye 12-01-2012 10:50 AM

hi
ok we are going with the tail dragger verion with a os -60 ,which gear should we use the Du-Bro Super Strength landing gear or the ugly stick arf ones the os -60 is old but was never ran i dont know how i ended up with this new in the box i found atfer cleaning up the shop ,lol[X(]:D

bikerbc 12-01-2012 12:31 PM

If you have the Du-Bro Super Strength already I would use that for sure....If you need to buy it why dont you try the gear that you already have and see how it works for you...If you are not satisfied then replace it with the DU-Bro...

Crazy4Flight 12-01-2012 01:02 PM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNM65&P=SM

I have used dubro in the past strong... works great... never failed!

there might be other brands of fibreglass gear out there

Leroy Gardner 12-01-2012 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Thank God for swap meets, went to one this morning and found the Du-Bro super strength landing gear new in wrapper for $5.oo, two 2 3/4" wheels $2.00 and 2 new Zinger 16 x 8 props for $10.00
Biker told me about the gear and he was right about the quality, stroung and very nice looking as well as worth the $14.70 from Tower Hobby.

Sure nice having all you guys helping us out, thank you all.

Leroy Gardner 12-01-2012 03:50 PM

Well one week and I am ready for final sanding and finishing. I keep getting 500 server error, I will try later to upload pictures
ed
I have had the server error also, I think it could have something to do with the time and load being put into it ?.

Every one likes pictures so I hope you will be able to post soon. I'm at a stage of getting the fuse to accept the new mounting system for wings, 3or4 more days, should have more to add.

Best to all.

nh4clo4 12-01-2012 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got them to load, Hopefully I can start sanding tonight.
ED

Leroy Gardner 12-01-2012 09:08 PM

Looking pretty good Ed, now we can see your pool table and I like the wheel pants, I have'nt got mine yet, they are the finishing touch to the Tiger. You'll have covering on before you know it, gota scheme yet.

jkr_1100 12-02-2012 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

What about the Weight savings over aluminum. this seems to be what the pattern and race guys used to use. i bet all the race guys use CF now. this sounds like the cost effective alternative.

jkr_1100 12-02-2012 05:46 PM

Finally got them to load, Hopefully I can start sanding tonight.
ED

plane looks good. pool table needs work though. get the ping pong top for it. then put two or three build projects on top. then your pool table will be on par with all other RC guy pool tables.

Edited.....

Just noticed the stove in the background. this would be nice. get tired of building for while and make a little snack.

nh4clo4 12-02-2012 07:47 PM

That stove is a mint condition 50's montgomery ward. It was left when we purchased the house by the original owners. You can cook a snack with it, or my preferred cooking, heating plastic for my vacuum former. <div>
</div><div>I have had the pool table buried, but i'm trying to change my ways:)</div><div>
</div><div>Ed</div>

Leroy Gardner 12-04-2012 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got a few more things worked out. There is a full size ply doubler between former A and B, actual retainer wing rib in place and wing will be fit on plane, there is a 1/8" taper toward rear and the surface is flat. Pictures show the new construction upper cowl , turtle deck and cockpit area

Wings were installed to check fit and see how it was all coming together, looks good. I can cut the engine fire wall mount out and cut for tabs then drill wall for engine mount and finally start glueing it together. I made some new parts to fit the mods. I made and beef up front end to handle the bigger engine. Top of cowl will still have the hatch but it will be longer and canpoy will be 5" shorter. I think it's going to look pretty good when done.

I'm doing everything I can to hold the weight down, what I've added weighs very little. I did a small amount of tail end work to help strengthen the weekness there, I will feather elevators and rudder to remove some weight there, they will be extended some.

nh4clo4 12-04-2012 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm leaning towards this scheme, bottom all black, whatcha think?
ED

PS looking good Leroy!!<br type="_moz" />

Leroy Gardner 12-04-2012 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ed the colors are a matter of choice, if you like that then do it, should be easy enough to do. Whats that site where you did the scheme ?.

I like the sceme on this one but not sure on colors. Plenty of time to consider the finish.

thailazer 12-05-2012 03:24 AM

Leroy.. How can you not enjoy spending time in your shop with that P-51 sitting there. Nice!

Unrelated to Tigers... I have some of those red and blue bins in my shop too but for the life of me I don't know how they should be mounted. Do they have a rail at the back or is there a shelf holding them up?

thailazer 12-05-2012 03:27 AM

I'm leaning towards this scheme, bottom all black, whatcha think?
ED

PS looking good Leroy!!<br type=''_moz'' />
Span-wise stripes like that with contrasting colors really make a plane visible in just about any light. I think it is a good choice. I try to use that concept and it has saved me a few times when the plane has gotten, er... a little ahead of me.

meltay 12-05-2012 03:52 AM

I am in too people !!

bikerbc 12-05-2012 04:49 AM

Leroy I gotta tell you out of all the Tigers I have built and seen built I am finding what you are doing with yours to be the most interesting of all...I am itching to see it finished and how it will fly...You are doing a fantastic job...Do you have access to a lazer cutter? Your parts look so clean and acurate..Nice work... Looking great Ed..I like your colour scheme