RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   My 1st Kit Progress (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11253962-my-1st-kit-progress.html)

carrellh 10-08-2012 09:46 AM

RE: My 1st Kit Progress

1 Attachment(s)

I'm having a tough time picking my covering colors
My first kit built trainer was mostly dark blue, with yellow tail and wing tops. It was not very pretty but was easy to see.

I had two ARF trainers, before I built the PT-60 kit, that were mostly white. They were O K but I prefer the dark base with bright trim.

I am a fan of red and white. For me it is very visible in the air. Mostly red, with the white on top of the wings and on the sides of the fuselage.

My Corsair is a tribute to http://www.warbirddepot.com/aircraft...f2g-race57.asp but it is solid red on the bottom.

The Astro Hog is covered like the picture on the box.

AlmondRancher 10-08-2012 10:35 AM

The Thunder Tiger GP series engines are good engines.

Bill, I have copied and pasted a couple of links about covering a model airplane. There is a lot of good information here. Mike did a very nice job on the how-to article and the covering videos.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=726
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...?article_id=67

- Allan B

All Day Dan 10-08-2012 10:39 AM

Bill, I’ve been building for the past 65 years. Be sure to speak to your loved ones before you continue. It’s a great addiction for which there is no rehab. Dan.

huck1199 10-08-2012 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bill

Here are some pics of my color scheme

BillinIndiana 10-08-2012 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone.
<div>
</div><div>  I was planning on doing some checkers too. That is one part I knew I was going to put on.. Now for the rest of the plane  IDK?...hahaha</div>

RCKen 10-08-2012 12:24 PM

Bill,<div>Consider doing some kind of straight line down the fuselage. It can be a line, or a line where you change colors on the fuselage. The reason for this is that the straight line will help you in orientation of the plane when it is in the air. </div><div>
</div><div>Another good trick for orientation is to have contrasting colors on the top and bottom of the wing. That was you will be able to tell instantly which way your plane is oriented. Look at doing strong bright colors for your covering scheme. Reds and yellows are usually the easiest to see. whites, blues, and lighter colors should be avoided as they will tend to blend into the background of the sky.</div><div>
</div><div>As a funny side note, we had a guy come to our field that had a plane covered in silver monokote. Look sharp as all get out on the ground. Then he took off and the plane simply disappeared into the sky!!!!!! [X(]</div><div>
</div><div>You definitely want your plane to be very very visible to you. always remember that when you design a covering scheme. I have a Senior Telemaster that I use for piggy-backing gliders up to altitude with. Since it's getting way WAY up there in altitude I covered the bottom of the wing with Cub Yellow and black checkerboards on the wing tips to aid in visibility when it was up at a high altitude.</div><div>
</div><div>Hope this helps</div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>

BillinIndiana 10-08-2012 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

<div></div><div>As a funny side note, we had a guy come to our field that had a plane covered in silver monokote. Look sharp as all get out on the ground. Then he took off and the plane simply disappeared into the sky!!!!!![X(]</div><div></div><div></div>
I actually bought a roll of Ultracote "Chrome", thinking it would reflect the sun.. maybe not ....?

huck1199 10-08-2012 01:14 PM

You could use the chrome on the windows as I did.

Fs one 10-08-2012 04:07 PM

You aredoing a great job .Reminds me when i first started.Keep up the good work doing a fine job.Give us a few pics when she's all done.Didn't read anywhere the fella asking for help.Give the guy some encouragement.

RCKen 10-08-2012 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: RCKen

<div></div><div>As a funny side note, we had a guy come to our field that had a plane covered in silver monokote. Look sharp as all get out on the ground. Then he took off and the plane simply disappeared into the sky!!!!!![X(]</div><div></div><div></div>
I actually bought a roll of Ultracote "Chrome", thinking it would reflect the sun.. maybe not ....?

I actually like to put a 1/2" strip of chrome monokote on the leading edge of my planes. I find that helps me to see the plane better on the landing approach, but I have had others at my field tell me that it would distract them to see that glint off the leading edge when the plane is coming in for a landing. Something like that is a personal choice.

Ken
<br type="_moz" />

Zor 10-09-2012 06:25 AM

= RCKen

I actually like to put a 1/2" strip of chrome monokote on the leading edge of my planes. I find that helps me to see the plane better on the landing approach, but I have had others at my field tell me that it would distract them to see that glint off the leading edge when the plane is coming in for a landing. Something like that is a personal choice.

Ken
Ken,

I agree that it is a personal choice.

I have tried the silver reflecting strip on the leading edge once.
It was not "chrome monokote"; it was a self-adhesive aluminum foil.

I did not like the sun reflection as the model on final approach coming toward me was reflecting the sun rays coming from my back. That sun reflection was changing and doing some flashing as small maneuvering was taking place toward the center line of the runway.

I paint nearly all my wings with a white leading edge to contrast with the usually green backgound.
This avoids any variable sun flashing as approach speed is being controlled.

To each his preference.

Regards from Zor

green river rc 10-09-2012 04:41 PM

Always good to see kit building is still alive, much more rewarding than pulling it out of a box and having the exact same plane as the next guy.

Zor 10-10-2012 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: green river rc

Always good to see kit building is still alive, much more rewarding than pulling it out of a box and having the exact same plane as the next guy.
green river rc,

It is a matter of whatan individualenjoys as a hobby.

Having two (or more) identical models allows the owners and pilots to compete as to their abilities to setup the model and compare themselves as pilots.

Competing is part of human society.

Zor

Edited 11 Oct. 2012 at 23:47 EDT to change the name from "greem" to "green".
Sorry about the mispelling of a name.

End