RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   It's Building Season, Whats on your bench? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11297313-its-building-season-whats-your-bench.html)

ovationdave 11-15-2012 08:40 PM

RE: It's Building Season, Whats on your bench?

Nice work on lots of stuff here. I really like the skybolt and the fleet concept......very nice. I have a fix/recover job to do on my giant super sportster. I also have a don muddiman flying machine to finish up, as well as a Ohio r/c 62" ultimate. Then its on to either the Mr. Mulligan 110" or the 1/4 scale skywalker,..........decisions decisions!

Dave

dakoris73 11-16-2012 12:49 AM

This is going to be my first year of building other than an ARF, and I have a Tower Uproar kit that I received 4 years ago as a club raffle prize, a Sig Something Xtra kit, and a PT-25 Autogyro that I'm hoping to have built by early summer. I'm looking forward to this challenge, and hoping that I don't run into too many issues as I build. To help encourage me to to get through these builds, I've challenged my club to a Winter Build challenge and fun fly in the spring, with a Pilots Choice awards for best builds...... Been getting alot of responses as well, so this is definitely going to be a fun building season.........

Hydro Junkie 11-16-2012 02:51 AM

Does a Sig Kadet Jr being built from the plans included in a long dead kit count? I started this build several years back, modding the wing by adding one 3" bay to each side. The next change was to remove all the dihedral, just couldn't see building it with the stock 2" shown in the plans with mod #3, adding barn door ailerons. These measure out to 25% cord and 3 bays wide. Mod #4 is to make the plane convertible between tricycle gear and twin floats, hense the wing tip extensions that were added to help keep wing loading down when carrying the extra weight. If all goes well, I may even get it done this winter;)

cymaz 11-16-2012 03:39 AM

I'm currently building a Stampe from an old Precedent kit. It is on another build log [link=http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=75514]HERE[/link]

flyer35 11-16-2012 05:07 AM

Winter comes early here so my bench is already full. For myself Im building a Balsa USA Eindecker 80", for a club member Im blding a TF Corsair. I also have a Spitfire for him and a Dynaflite Decathlon for me. Going to be a good winter!! Happy holidays guys.

nh4clo4 11-16-2012 05:47 AM

The Decathalon is a nice plane, I have one with a g38, and it is an excellent flier.

I just finished an Ace 4-40, going to start on a Tiger 60, and plan on building a 4*20 with a fs30.
Ed<br type="_moz" />

MajorTomski 11-16-2012 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Gene,<div> As much as I like Ultra Sports, I'll have to pass on that one!!!! ;)</div><div>
</div><div>I'd love to see the article on the tail skid though. It is one of the modifications I have planned for my build. </div><div>
</div><div>Ken</div>

Ditto on seeing the spring loaded skid here too!
Ken did you know that there is only ONE photograph of Udet with this plane? It is printed in the Fokker Datafile series. It is also taken from dead astern with Udet standing by the rudder blocking most of the details of the plane. Most of the profiles of the plane are mostly conjecture!

One of the guys out of Tulsa had a completed BUSA bird at WarBirds over Tulsa this last summer. He commented that most folks have used these numbers: Lower wing and Stab set at +2 degrees to the thrustline and Top Wing -1.5 to -2 to the thrust line to overcome the kits tendancy to need a lot of down elevator trim.

On deck at my procrastinating building board; a Guillows Arrow for the rest of the indoor FF season here in OKC. Followed by a prevously started by someone else's 30 size HOB Pietenpol Air Camper. Want this one finished by April for training season. The local RC hobby shop (Mike's Models in OKC) uses the Air Camper on Real Flight as an intro bird to rc. This will tie the hobby shop experiance into reality at the field

Followed closely by a Top Flight Elder 20 on floats for next years float flies.

And if the dedication continues we may start on a TF Spifire Mk9 to be painted as a Spit MkI from the Battle of Briton movie.

Procrastination University
Teaching tomorrows leaders how to do everything tomorrow, or maybe then next day.

RCKen 11-16-2012 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Gene,<div> As much as I like Ultra Sports, I'll have to pass on that one!!!! ;)</div><div></div><div>I'd love to see the article on the tail skid though. It is one of the modifications I have planned for my build.</div><div></div><div>Ken</div>

Ditto on seeing the spring loaded skid here too!
Ken did you know that there is only ONE photograph of Udet with this plane? It is printed in the Fokker Datafile series. It is also taken from dead astern with Udet standing by the rudder blocking most of the details of the plane. Most of the profiles of the plane are mostly conjecture!

One of the guys out of Tulsa had a completed BUSA bird at WarBirds over Tulsa this last summer. He commented that most folks have used these numbers: Lower wing and Stab set at +2 degrees to the thrustline and Top Wing -1.5 to -2 to the thrust line to overcome the kits tendancy to need a lot of down elevator trim.

Tom,
Yes, I have discovered all the controversey surrounding the color scheme of this plane. You are absolutely correct in that there is only one photo of this plane known to exist, and because of the angle of the photo, and Ernst standing in front of the plane, it's hard to see any details on the plane. So many have speculated what the plane actually looks like. There are even many that argue the plane was actually black and white instead of the red and white many accept it as. Bill Holland, who is the Head Judge at Top Gun and WWI plane freak, is a good friend of mine. I called him up while researching this scheme to ask him about it. He said that there is actually a lot more research that has been done with things like interviews from people in Udet's unit and others, and they all state that they plane was red and white. I'm going to be getting that documentation from Bill next time I see him in person.

I covered Warbirds Over Tulsa this year but I'm not sure who you are referring to. I know that Jim Ellis has a ton of biplane experience. Is that who you were talking about? I also know Rich Richardson out of Enid and he's built the BUSA D-VII. When I was talking with Bill he told me that Rich has the mods all worked out for the D-VII so that it doesn't require all the down trim that many have experienced. He's has the numbers for the incidence as well as adding positive incidence to the horizontal stab when building it. So I'm definitely going to be spending some time talking with Rich as I get going on this bird. If it was somebody else that you are talking about by all means could you point me in their direction so that I can get in touch with them. I definitely want to use the experience of others so that I don't make the same mistakes when I do this build.

Funny side story since I brought up Rich RIchardson. He has a gorgeous SR Batteries Eindecker that he flies at a lot of shows. I've always liked the looks of that plane when he flew it and thought to myself that I'd like to get one if I could. But looking at the price, $450, I wasn't sure I would get one anytime soon. The SR Batteries bird is 100" and roughly 1/4 scale. It's not a true scale model of the Eindecker, but it's closer than most other kits that are available. Anyway, just recently we can across a lady in Anadarko that was selling off her late husbands RC stuff. I couldn't make it up there to see what he had, but one of my buddies went. He told me that there was a Dynaflite 84" Flybaby kit for $75 and a Balsa USA Eindecker 90 kit for $100. Well I jumped on both of them as they were great deals. The FlyBaby isn't available any longer, and the $100 for the Eindecker was a good deal because a new kit from BUSA cost $149 so I felt like I got a good bargain. I got the kit home and opened it up and there was the instruction book for it right on top. I read through the manual and it was standard quality for Balsa USA. Anyway, I went back to the kit and stated to look at everything packed in the kit box and the first thing I notice was a huge aluminum cowl. Hmmmmmm. That baffled me because the BUSA Eindecker has a ABS cowl in it. So I thought maybe he had bought an aftermaket cowl for it. I kept digging in the box and started noticing that none of the parts looked right. When I got to the bottom of the box I found ANOTHER instruction manual. This one was for the SR Batteries Eindecker kit. I about flipped out. Could it be possible?? So I unrolled the plans from the box, sure enough they were the SR Batteries plans. So I started inventorying everything. Sure enough, it's a SR Batteries Eindecker. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/eek.gifThe guy even purchased all the "extras" that SR Batteries sells for the kit. So all told I picked up about $700 worth of kit and extras for $100!!!!! SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Now that brings up a real problem this winter because I want to build both the D-VII and the Eindecker. But I don't have room for both at the same time!!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/confused.gif But I will say this, it's a nice little problem to have!!!!! ;)

Ken<br type="_moz" /><br type="_moz" />

eddieC 11-16-2012 08:23 AM

Ken,<div>Since you're swamped and lack the room, I'll help out and take that not-true-scale kit off your hands for $125 shipped. </div><div>
</div><div>:D
</div>

acdii 11-16-2012 08:24 AM

Just received an email from Tower, all kits on sale until end of the year.

2walla 11-16-2012 08:51 AM

I have been working on an ME 262 and on for the last year.. Need to finish to make room to do repairs on the rest of the fleet..

rich6170 11-16-2012 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I have several repairs to do this winter;
I am rebuilding a 12' Telemaster on floats to add flaps and do some upgrades.
Got a Lanier Cap 232 that needs a 50cc engine and finnish the cowl.
I am currently working on a 1/4 scale Balsa USA Sopwith Pup. I have the wings framed and starting the tail feathers. It is going to be patterned after the Sopwith Pup that the Soviet Red army used in 1919. I have not hdt a lot of time to work on this one because I am also building the FULLSCALE version of the same plane.</p>

impulse09 11-16-2012 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
33% Extra from Great Planes

Granpooba 11-16-2012 09:59 AM

Just putting the finishing touches on installing a DLE-20 into a Great Planes Revolver 70.

Have been considering a Revolver 90 with a DLE-55 for a winter assembly. But just purchased a new Hyundai Tuscon and doubt very much that the Revolver 90 will fit in the back of the new vehicle.

Perhaps I will just do a Revolver 59, with a new OS, to keep myself busy.

By now you must have guessed or assumed that I like the Great Planes Revolvers, well I do. Have been flying an R-70 with a Saito 91 for a couple of years now and it flies really nice and I feel very comfortable with it. Feeling comfortable with what you are flying is a major concern in this hobby, correct ? :D

If I do not do another Revolver, I have a few other planes that could use some minor tweaking or some new parts. I am sure that I will be able to find something to put on the ole bench. ;)

retransit 11-16-2012 01:30 PM

"So all told I picked up about $700 worth of kit and extras for $100!!!!! SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I hope you know that stealing is a crime.

Bob

invertmast 11-16-2012 01:57 PM

None of these are kits.. but they are all on the building tables:

1/5.3 HO-229 (this picture is a month old, and the plane is already in primer)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../null-28-3.jpg

26.5% GeeBee R2 (highly modified... well, the only thing that is still the same as the hostetler plans I began with, is the Firewall, so its essentially my own design), it to is ready for paint:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/DSC03476.jpg

1/7 F-14D Tomcat.. Molds are nearly all completed with only a few small ones to do, and a few of the smaller composite parts have been molded:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...f/DSC03450.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...f/DSC03230.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...f/DSC03233.jpg

Suprfort 11-16-2012 02:56 PM

I am buiulding a 36% T-34-B from the Bob Patton design. Should be complete for Top Gun. It has electric retracts and electric servo operating gear doors. Powered by a Desert Aircraft 200 engine. Wing span 154" length 120" weight TBD. The bigger they are the better they fly.

Revy 11-16-2012 02:58 PM

Those are some sick builds you have, invertmast! Uber cool!!!

triumphman49 11-16-2012 03:54 PM

[img][/img]477811887_b621b09471

No actual build pics, but hope to finish up a Kyosho AgWagon (Saito FA62) and a Sig SMP (Saito FA60T) before moving on to a big BUSA Taube modified to a Rumpler version (Saito FG20) . . . . or mabey a BUSA 120 Stingray for an engine test bed

T-man49 in Al
Club Saito 723
Spitfire Bro 19

tried to copy AgWagon image in "Military colors with Sharks mouth" . . . but don't quite know how

Greg Wright 11-16-2012 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished and test flew this F-86 Sabre last weekend. Now i'm back to work on this F-100.

retransit 11-16-2012 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Neat build, that Horton. Would like to see it when you finish. Pics below of the full size.

Bob

Speedy-Gonzales 11-16-2012 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Project #1
I am "bashing" a Lanier "Shrike 40". Reduced wing airfoil thickness by 30% and fuselage cross-section. Doing away with strip ailerons and installing "barndoor" type with gapless hinges. 3/8" CF tube spars and shortened nose moment by 1 3/8" and 2" spinner size. K/B 6.5cc RE on mini-pipe. Not "uber fast" but fast. This build should go quick.

Project #2
82" HEINKEL HE-100 ( from my own plans ) for the new DLE 55RA rear exhaust with full house. This will be a full scratch build and will be on the board for some time but this winter is the time to get it started. Original model pictured at 74" Now enlarging to 82".

Yes there is an airplane in the picture if you look closely. The gal is my wife ( 8 years ago ) so watch it!!! :)

Starting a project is easy. Finishing it is a different story.

Project #3
Brodak "Galaxy" C/L with ST .35-C. Getting back into C/L again. I miss it and the simple fun it brings to my hobby.

eddieC 11-16-2012 05:46 PM

Like an RCM cover. <div>
</div><div>Does she have a sister?   :D</div>

Speedy-Gonzales 11-16-2012 05:59 PM

Yes but my wife is the only one that ended up with a pair of big...............blue eyes????? :D

I am a lucky man! She doesn't complain about my hobbies either!!!

Speedy-Gonzales 11-16-2012 06:11 PM

OMG!..... that wasn't 8 years ago. That was 18 years ago!

She's still pretty as a peach!

Time flies when you're havin' fun! ;)