RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11326847-intrested-im-bashing-tiger60.html)

akbowen 12-15-2012 04:51 PM

RE: Intrested? I'm Bashing a Tiger60

Two things:

First, I find that I'm incredibly jealous of your shop/garage/basement or whatever that space you have for building is. I've got a corner of my garage to work with. In comparison, you have acreage.

Second, the flapperons. I've set up a couple of planes that way and never liked the way it worked out. Consequently, never really used them. Seems like you loose some aileron control without gaining the slow speed steep angle of descent that flaps should give you. It's sort of the worst of both.

Leroy Gardner 12-15-2012 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gary Harris thanks, you going to be here for the end ?, be good to have you.

Harry46 I will be reworking the tail also, should get to that shortly' retracts, I here bad things about them from those that have been there, hope your's turn out ok.

akbowen, glad you like my shop, must admit I'm spoiled, was and still is somewhat of a cabinet shop, I just don't do that any more and have since got back into RC. Tiger is my 3rd build, TF 1/5 scale mustang was the last one and a Eagle II before that, I had taken 50 yr's. off prior to all that. I'm also an old airframe / engine mechanic who still likes planes so here I am. Thanks for the heads up on flaperons, I'm hearing that from others also. I will show you all my mustang so you get the idea I might know what I'm doing.

I have another question for you all. Has or can you put a servo in top of wing for a speed brake control and how much brake size would be needed for this size and weight ( 10lb's. ) of plane ?.

Fuse with gear on and engine mounted, engine looks big and wheels look small, they are 2 3/4" 3' may be better. I have 2" clearance with a 16" prop in plane position as it sits.

It's a no upload time of night, does this all the time, I'll be back.

Leroy Gardner 12-17-2012 03:58 PM

I was kinda hoping that someone might goin in and build one with me, I know there are several of you sitting on one. More fun that way.

Leroy Gardner 12-19-2012 12:38 PM

I'm putting flaps on it, I will make them 15" from aileron strips and created a little extra construction as they are not as wide as ailerons. Should have some picts. tomorrow after that Christmas will slow things down a bit.

"Wow, I got a 5 star on my build"' sure didn't expect that, thank you to who ever decides that, pretty nice.

Hope every one has a great Christmas and our New Year should be better too.

bikerbc 12-19-2012 01:12 PM

You would not have got a five star if you didnt deserve it..What you are doing is well above average.. Good decision on the flaps in my opinion..You are going to have a very nice wing....Merry Christmas

GaryHarris 12-19-2012 03:17 PM

Leroy, I'm with Ken. You do excellent work. ;)

Leroy Gardner 12-19-2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ken and Gary thank you it's nice to have your work appreciated, it's even better if others learn from it. Even I have learned how easy it is to bash the Tiger 60, it lends itself to what I'm doing real well and on top of that it's fun to do.

Wings will be done shortly, I got the trailing edges all laid out and most parts glued in place. I will have to add 3/16" to leading edge of flaps, I miss measured at some point, easy fix thow. I was able to pre drill flaps for 3/16" hinge points and it makes it possible to dowl them control surfaces together for sanding perfectly flush surfaces of entire wing. Should have the sheeting on shortly and start on stabs and still have upper cowling to finish. Plug for cowling will be something new for me, I've never did that before but I'll just do it, can't be that hard.

Pict. will show simple gig to hold flap parts for drilling.

Can't post picts for 3 more hours, same every night.
A snow storm is causing some problems with internet, try once more. Yeah !

Leroy Gardner 12-22-2012 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished ailerons and flaps and glued skins together, one wing bottom skin is presently glued and under weight, will have the rest done by Christmas day. After bottom skins are on I will drill corners of servo mounts and add additional hinge blocks for ailerons then put top skins on. Bar sanding will come after that, aileron and flaps will be dowel mounted so all surfaces will be flush, wireing tubes will not need pull strings as I can go straight through them. Wing tips will be all thats left on them.

Will get to the stabilizers after the holidays and they will undergo changes also, then top of foward deck and the plug to make cowling from, starting to see the end, still haven't decided on a scheme yet. I do like the looks so far.

As usuall can't upload this time of day, later

While I was waiting I skined bottom of other wing.

GaryHarris 12-22-2012 05:11 PM

Leroy. Try this.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11340956

Leroy Gardner 12-22-2012 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Leroy. Try this.

Hi Gary, I looked at your photo shop and may try it at some point. I found that posting pictures after 10:00 PM my time there is no problem, prior to that I can't upload even one so I just wait it out.

Thanks for the tip:)

Leroy Gardner 12-22-2012 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Leroy. Try this.

Hi Gary, that is intresting and I may try it at some time. I can upload pictures after 10:00PM my time with little problem, prior to that I can't do even one so I just wait it out.

Thanks for the tip, Leroy

Leroy Gardner 12-27-2012 12:54 PM

Getting the sheeting on and sanded sure changes the perspective of this 855 sq. in. wing, I actually gained 4" more when I went outboard mounted as I never cut them down. Will be starting on the wing tips and stablizers, both will differ from plans, pretty much a total make over of entire plane, Cowling will take some time building the plug to make the mold to form a fiberglass one from. Still plenty to do, it's been an enjoyable project to say the least.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Uplload picts. tonight, server error as usual

thailazer 12-27-2012 03:04 PM

Looking forward to how you are going to do the cowling plug and cowling. Always looking for a better way.

Leroy Gardner 12-27-2012 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: thailazer

Looking forward to how you are going to do the cowling plug and cowling. Always looking for a better way.
Tovio I'm not sure mine will be the better way. I'm going to just build the balsa one right on the plane with the engine in it and a mounted spinner ring to build to plus the muffler to build around so it's all enclosed. I will have to do it in such a way that I can get the plug out after it's glassed. I have a concept in my head and I only want to do it once. Except for the cheeks it's a pull off and I'm thinking there is a way around that, guess I'll find out, huh.

Don't understand what happened to the way picts. were uploaded and viewed, more of the samo samo.

sensei 12-27-2012 07:41 PM

Looks like you are making some really good progress.

Bob

Leroy Gardner 12-27-2012 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bob glad to see your still here, things are moving right along on the build, wish they were on RCU servers, they had those issues solved at one time, now other problems pop up posting.

I'll try to post those picts again, sheeted and nearly finished wings.

Same old crap, internal server error, it's been going on all day.

Keeps this up I will get PO'ed enough to hang this thread up, they give you a 5 star build and you can't put a picture on it now, go figure

3 days later I have pictures again, things are looking up.

GaryHarris 12-28-2012 08:30 AM

Leroy, if you use my method for posting pics, server error doesn't some into play.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps40478e7d.jpg

Leroy Gardner 12-28-2012 01:50 PM

Ok Gary but maybe you can ease my concern a bit. When I went to PhotoBucket my AVG went nuts with warnings about contamanating my computer ( and I have done that before and outcome wasn't funny ) so, is that normal ?. I have went there some time back ( reccomended for sizeing ) and got the same message. You can see my apprehension doing this. I down loaded your instructions, 9 pages but to be truthfull I'm as dumb as a stump when it comes to the computer and I have yet to figure out how to do a URL as an example. I can build a hellofa airplane, read blue prints and even draw them but my computer hates me and I hate it. "Now " you see where I'm at and you can only help a guy so much and boy I need some.

Disspell my fears and I will give it a whack, God help me if I screw up this computer. I have a wife who uses it also but she don't know how to do this stuff either. I really apperciate you trying to help me Gary and others of you, I just hope I can help myself with your help. Duh, do I feel dumb or what?.

Leroy

I do have a question while we are on the subject of pictures, I notice that all over the older posts including some of mine many pictures have been eliminated ( erased ) and there is a box with a red X in it and no pict. anymore. Looks like they are trying to make more room by getting rid of alot of the inactive thread picts. If thats the case it isn't working.

By the way I just tried to upload those 2 picts and it's not going to happen, well, the RCU way anyway.

Leroy Gardner 12-29-2012 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The tiger tail is getting a new look and it looks pretty good, now the vertical one and rudder is next.

Leroy Gardner 12-30-2012 01:29 PM

How many got a kit for Christmas, like maybe a Tiger 60 to bash a little ? Would be great to see another one right here.

Happy New Year to all.

bikerbc 01-01-2013 08:07 AM

Happy New Year Tiger fans

Leroy Gardner 01-01-2013 06:03 PM

Thanks Ken, same to you and all.

Can't do a post due to time outs and no upload picts. to see next chapter go here

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786693

sensei 01-01-2013 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Leroy Gardner

Thanks Ken, same to you and all.

Can't do a post due to time outs and no upload picts. to see next chapter go here

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786693
I took a look and you know what I saw, I saw the work of a true craftsman, very nice!

Bob

Leroy Gardner 01-02-2013 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Bob, nice words.

I don't know why there are these posting problems again, they were gone for awhile but are back now. I'll try this again.

With the major build done I put it all together to see how it looks and must say it's looking good. I will be lightening the tail components (drilling holes) and I have remade some new lighter parts for tail to get some of the weight off. Have some shaping to do then they are done. Wing tips are next, top of forward deck and then the plug to make cowling from. There is still plenty to do but I'm happy with what I have so far.

Wheels look small, will make some pants for them and I have ample prop clearance.

Enjoy the pict's. if I can get them to upload. It worked.

Adding another pict to show how to lighten the tail up.

Leroy Gardner 01-10-2013 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From verticle stablizer and rudder pict above I had to revamp that fixture because of interference of the ballance tab to stablizer, at any rate the tab was altered to become part of the rudder. Good idea, bad design.

After scanning store shelves for a plastic bottle to use for platform to build cowling from I found nothing there but I did spy a Valvoline oil jug in my shop, 1 gal. and empty. Something just clicked, wasn't sure what until I cleaned it up, cut it in half and stuck it on plane, first one way then the other and I seen the cowling. I really did say "holly crap, cant be", well things just got better. A few lines then cut the handle and snoot off and there it was, well part of it but the rest will be alot easier than building from scratch the whole thing. I will save whats next for the next pict. post.

I have never built a plug to cast a mold from to form the final glass cowling. I'm hoping that I can just wax it and not use PVA for release agent. Plug will have a glass finish on it so why shouldn't just wax work ?. I could use your experience as I only want to do it once, like I said I've never done this before. What say, any help out there?.

Enjoy the pict's, you'll see what I saw in that jug, Thanks

Internet isn't ready to upload yet.