RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Houston, I have a problem!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11354168-houston-i-have-problem.html)

Gray Beard 01-11-2013 07:39 AM

RE: Houston, I have a problem!!!!

That does make me feel better, like a lot better. I stuck a YS 1.10 in it. On land the roll out can be measured in inches if I want. Not how I take off but during the testing I did it just for a giggle. I now have the floats set to the blue prints as Mr. Ziroli has them. Before I had the step a couple inches back so the plane was floating more level. Just waiting for the day to warm up then I will float it again and see what I have. There was a pretty hard freeze here last night, I don't do cold!!

Gray Beard 01-11-2013 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Big improvement!!! Just some minor little things to do and I can put it away and wait for either the lake bed to flood again or spring so I can get to the lake. I could get to the lake now but if I have to get out to retrive the plan on a jet ski or even the little boat I could freeze to death. As I have mentioned, I don't deal well with the cold. 50 and above for me.;)

goirish 01-11-2013 11:57 AM

I was thinking that the step should be approx 1/2" in front of the CG. I know that is where they are on my float planes. BUT!!!! don't take my word for it.

Gray Beard 01-11-2013 02:25 PM

Gene, that's about a half inch farther forward then what I have learned and if this plane was set that way it would be pointing straight up when in the water. I was told it could be about a half inch behind the CG. This time it is set on the CG as per the plans. Doesn't mater though, I'm finished fooling with it. If it won't fly from water then it's a land plane, it flys great from land.:D

Zor 01-11-2013 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Big improvement!!! Just some minor little things to do and I can put it away and wait for either the lake bed to flood again or spring so I can get to the lake. I could get to the lake now but if I have to get out to retrive the plan on a jet ski or even the little boat I could freeze to death. As I have mentioned, I don't deal well with the cold. 50 and above for me.;)
Thanks for the picture Gray Beard.

Am I dreaming or is the tail wheel in the water ?

Zor

Gray Beard 01-11-2013 06:43 PM

Tail wheel is in the water. The original build didn't have a real tail wheel and the swoose has a bottom fin. I mounted the wheel to a hard point I put into the fin. Think of it as just another rudder!!:) Don't sweat the small crap!! It comes off with two screws.;) Another freezing night, even if the lake bed flooded I wouldn't be flying in the morning anyway. With age comes gray mater.:D

DGrant 01-11-2013 09:07 PM

Interesting thread and conclusion.. glad you got it worked out. Yep.. we got the hard-freeze thing going here in the valley too.. its been a man-cave day.. its going to be man-cave weekend I'm sure. Curious here how well your set-up works.. it looks great though. :)

Gray Beard 01-12-2013 05:17 AM

ORIGINAL: DGrant

Interesting thread and conclusion.. glad you got it worked out. Yep.. we got the hard-freeze thing going here in the valley too.. its been a man-cave day.. its going to be man-cave weekend I'm sure. Curious here how well your set-up works.. it looks great though. :)
I didn't hear from the renters in Mariposa yesterday but I'm sure they are freezing up there in the hills. Our higher mountains up by the ski area got a bit of snow this week. Nothing but cold here with clouds just teasing us with the idea of rain. Yesterday if you were in the sun it was warm, not so much in the shade!! This plane will be a while before it sees water again. I'm thinking the little lake in Calico is good for ice skating about now!!

ARUP 01-12-2013 05:43 AM

Frozen lake in Calico???? Skiis? Here we go again.....:D

Gray Beard 01-12-2013 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Frozen lake in Calico???? Skiis? Here we go again.....:D
People don't know that it gets cold in the desert. For a goof the news sends out camera crews to the Welcome to Las Vegas sign and films the tourists in there shorts and tank tops taking there pictures in front of the sign. They had no idea it froze or snowed here. It's been warm this winter until just last week. I was over on Las Vegas Blvd. on Xmas day flying while just wearing long pants and a tee shirt. When it gets cold it can happen over night. One year I couldn't get my car up the little incline of my driveway due to snow. You have to come to a stop before you can drive in and the stop screws everything up. When I moved here I left my snow shovel behind, mistake! At least no snow this year. Grant is in the Central valley of Calif. and when it freezes there it turns into some of the best duck hunting in the world. Just find any open water and you got it made. I loved the central valley except for the fog. But then the Crow hunting was really good along with the duck hunting. You make due with what you got. It's just clear and cold here but only in the 20s. I wouldn't want to be in another state where it gets below zero. I can do dry heat, I don't do cold.

ARUP 01-12-2013 07:19 PM

Yah... I've been to Reno for the races and it can be hot or cold. You gotta pack for all contingencies. I always get a laugh out of the 'know it alls' who move here (KY) from northern climes and criticize the 'shut downs' due to seemingly little snow. Our snow is wet and slicker than a cow pie on a wet rock. Just 1/2" will have you in the ditch if you don't use good sense. It doesn't snow here enough to warrant the road clearing equipment so we just have to endure when we get socked in. Those same folks try to use snow blowers, too! It's so funny seeing all of them for sale right after a winter period. The snow just clogs 'em because the snow is not 'powder' and won't 'blow'.

Zor 01-12-2013 11:32 PM

Yah... I've been to Reno for the races and it can be hot or cold. You gotta pack for all contingencies. I always get a laugh out of the 'know it alls' who move here (KY) from northern climes and criticize the 'shut downs' due to seemingly little snow. Our snow is wet and slicker than a cow pie on a wet rock. Just 1/2" will have you in the ditch if you don't use good sense. It doesn't snow here enough to warrant the road clearing equipment so we just have to endure when we get socked in. Those same folks try to use snow blowers, too! It's so funny seeing all of them for sale right after a winter period. The snow just clogs 'em because the snow is not 'powder' and won't 'blow'.
Looks like we can divert now that Gray Beard has finished his beautiful seaplane.

Just to let you know that a 1/2" snow fall does not bring out the snow blower. It does not come out for less than 3" of snow.

From over 3" up to anything (like 10" or 15" wind blown accumulation) even if the snow is wet my rated 9 HP blower will throw the wet snow 20 feet away and up to 40 feet away at lower forward speeds.
There is 6 forward speeds and I am talkling about speed 2 or speed 3. It is self propelled, power steering and electric start. It takes out 27" wide and up to 25" in snow height. Just walk behind it or back up in reverse speed.

Ah, the beautiful snow that has just all disappeared in the last few days here with record temperaures for this time of year. It was up to 58 degrees F yesterday. We had 6" on the ground a few days ago.

I used to be a ski enthousiast not only on my own feet but also on my models.

Enjoy winter or move to the tropics http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif.

Zor

ARUP 01-13-2013 06:56 AM

Zor- I never said 1/2" of snow needs a snow blower- you did! [:@] You are welcome to live in KY. Bring your snow blower, too. :eek: Sorry, GrayBeard

Zor 01-13-2013 10:15 AM

Zor-

I never said 1/2" of snow needs a snow blower- you did! [:@] You are welcome to live in KY. Bring your snow blower, too. :eek: Sorry, GrayBeard
ARUP

This is a typical example of misunderstanding as often seen (read) in this forum.

I know you never said "1/2" of snow needs a snow blower and I did not write that either.

You wrote "Those same folks try to use snow blowers, too! It's so funny seeing all of them for sale right after a winter period. The snow just clogs 'em because the snow is not 'powder' and won't 'blow'.</p>

You were referring to others "Those same folks".

The wet snow will rarely clog the outlet if the regulated high rpm is selected on the engine.
If it ever happens a tool is supplied with the blower to unclog it.

The skis on the sides of the scoop are set to keep about 1/2" above the surface so it would not pick up 1/2" of snow anyway.

Blowing snow is nearly as much fun as flying a model airplane. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gifhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif.

Gray Beard said he is finished with his nice float plane. Let us see if he has anymore to discuss about the original topic.

Zor
</p>

Gray Beard 01-13-2013 12:34 PM

The thread has been dead once I got the plane straightened out. On RCU once a question or problem has been answered or taken care of it's an open for BS thread. Talking with old friends on threads and PMs over the years has really shot up my post numbers to a huge amount. To the point of stupid.
It was 26 when I went to bed last night but it's dry so no snow yet this year. We may get up to a foot here but there are no snow plows at all. Last big snow we had I put on my insulated boots and over coat, walked several blocks down the hill and drove people home in there cars after they decided to stop on the bottom of a hill and didn't know how to get them going again or how to drive in the snow. Some fool had to stop for some reason in front of my wife then he had it in low gear and tried to floor it to get going again. My wife had to back up to keep from getting hit. When I went down to help out I left him sitting there after my wife told me what happened. We had cars parked and left all over the main road when people got stuck and couldn't get going again. Watching people try to walk in there dress shoes is also a lot of fun. Last time I got caught in snow wearing a nice pair of loafers and walking down hill I was on my butt as much as my feet too!!:D I don't mind the snow as much as just these cold snaps. Could be worse, I watched the ball game yesterday that was in Denver!!!!!!!:eek: My wife and I used to ski too but it's been a long time sense we have had any snow gear. I still have my long johns from duck hunting but I can't fly wearing gloves and it's my hands and feet that have been frost bitten. May fishing in the Sierras, now they get cold really fast?[&:] Very light breeze blowing and if it was warmer I would be out flying. Two more months and all will be good again, our winters are very short here.

DGrant 01-13-2013 12:48 PM

That pretty much says it when I was thinking about snow-skis for your Swoose. Sounds like I don't even need to ask.. haha.. although it would make an interesting subject for skis. :)

Gray Beard 01-13-2013 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: DGrant

That pretty much says it when I was thinking about snow-skis for your Swoose. Sounds like I don't even need to ask.. haha.. although it would make an interesting subject for skis. :)
You don't think I suffered enough getting the floats figured out???? I'm really sick of all that thinking and measuring stuff. If I was still in Mariposa maybe the ski thing would be fun. I have friends on the east coast that fly from snow just using the floats. That could be fun too?

goirish 01-13-2013 01:23 PM

I enjoy the snow flying with floats more than the water. I like the rooster tail that the snow kicks up. Also, I live on a farm so I can fly off the snow, don't have a lake on the property.

Gray Beard 01-13-2013 03:15 PM

If we get a hard snow anytime soon I think I will give it a try. Be a good way to see how the plane handles with the floats on it.
My Dr said I could get back to exercising again so today was my first day back in the pool. I jogged 2 miles today in the pool then used the float weights for half an hour. I have things to do in the shop but I hurt in a lot of places, the recliner is a bunch easier then the pool!! We even have a show to go to tonight, old people out late!! May even play a machine and have a couple drinks, the free watered down drinks. I'm still cheap!!:D

goirish 01-13-2013 05:23 PM

it doesn't even have to be hard pack snow. In fact the light fluffy type is really neat. You will be surprised at how well it will track and turn in the snow.

Gray Beard 01-13-2013 07:29 PM

When it does snow here it is usually pretty wet and heavy. Great for snow balls.

Zor 01-25-2013 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

When it does snow here it is usually pretty wet and heavy. Great for snow balls.
Hello Gray Beard,

Just wondering how you are doing with your float plane. Did you fly it ?

Zor

GaryHarris 01-25-2013 06:19 PM

What is snow? [&:]

My AC is set on 72 right now. [:@]

Gray Beard 01-25-2013 07:25 PM

Yes Gary but it is also really windy there!!:D Zor, as of yet it hasn't flown off of water. It will have to wait until spring so I can get out to the lake or it will have to wait until the dry lake bed floods again. It is raining here but nothing that will flood the lake bed yet. I have my hopes though. I have been flying a lot sense the big freezing cold snap has moved out. I left three planes and all my gear in my van so I could just pop over to my secret field and fly every day for a while. Had to go shopping today and removed the planes and gear but it will be raining on and off for a few more days. I did pull down the Satyr and I'm finishing it up and going to order the covering for it this week. Just minor things to do to it then sand and cover.
Gene

Zor 01-25-2013 08:47 PM

Thanks for the news Gray Beard

Zor