RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Bradak Gee Bee Model D (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11354307-bradak-gee-bee-model-d.html)

jkpape 01-02-2013 07:02 PM

Bradak Gee Bee Model D

I just got a Brodak (Spirit of Yesteryear) Gee Bee Model E. Originally, it was kitted by Coverite back in the eighties. I had one of the original kits. Well, the wing of the new kit has been totally redesigned. The good news about it is that it will be easier to build. Bad news, it's not to scale anymore:-( It has a thicker wing cord & it's now flat bottomed. That also effects the bottom shape of the fuse. I don't know if this is something that Brodak did, or Spirit of Yesteryear. The D Model kit that I got from Brodak a few months ago has the original design of the wing.

icegs 01-02-2013 08:35 PM

RE: Bradak Gee Bee Model D

Any idea which version of the wing the Coverite version has?

I have the Coverite "D" that will probably come off the shelf next, but I would really like to get my hands on the Chester Special!

jkpape 01-03-2013 09:13 AM

Coverite was the original kitter so it will have the original wing design along with all the poorly fitting parts.

ARUP 01-03-2013 01:58 PM

I have built these before. It shouldn't be too much work to make new ribs. I have the plans so if you wanna copy some parts or sump'n just give me a shout. I belong to RCRC. I built the 'D' but made it look like the GeeBee'X'. It was really cool in its black and white livery with orange trim. The Coverite 'Jeep' has to be the sweetest flying airplane I've ever owned. I have fond memories of it!

jkpape 01-03-2013 05:35 PM

I've got the d model also. I can cut out another set of ribs using those as a pattern. The problem is that they made changes to the fuselage to accept the newer non scale wing. I'm not sure just how much was changed on the fuse other than the wing saddle. It would probably be better to build it just as is and do a build thread on it. The kit still has the original written building instructions and nothing on the new wing other than what is on the plans which have been completely re-drawn.

jkpape 01-03-2013 05:43 PM

Arup, I was a member of RCRC from 1984-1992 until I got involved with full scale. If you're ever going to be at the field during the week in the afternoon (after 2:30) let me know and I'll meet you over there. I don't work to far from there. Actually, it's on my way home depending how I go.

Joe

jkpape 01-04-2013 01:00 PM

Anybody interested in a build thread on this? If so, I'll post my progress & photos here. I will be building it per the plans except for how the servos are mounted in the wing. Everything is laser cut & looks really nice compared to the original Coverite kit.

Gee Bee Model E only

Just a quick note, the wing spar mat'l that is supplied with the kit is the wrong size. What is supplied is 3/16" x 1/2" x 30" hardwood. That is also what is called out in the mat'l list. What is called out on the plans though, is 3/16" X 3/8" x 30". I cut mine down to the correct size with my band saw.

TLH101 01-04-2013 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wouldn't mind seeing it go together. I built one of the originals several years ago. Powered it with an OS .46SF. Was a rocket, and a handful due to weight. I bet the newer kit will be much lighter. The older one was somewhat reminiscent of the old Sterling kits. I fly electric noe and have considered converting one of these to electric.
Here's a couple pics mine.

ARUP 01-04-2013 06:26 PM

Please do a build thread! It's always fun to see these go together. Have you a color scheme in mind? TLH101's looks very nice in its classic blue and cream suit! Also, whenever the weather warms a little I will get to field. It's been a long time since I flew there. I can fly small stuff outta my back yard and fly at a friend's field near Springfield for the BIG stuff.

jkpape 01-04-2013 07:24 PM

Ok guys, a build thread it is. Got to get some glue first though.

jkpape 01-05-2013 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gee Bee Model E only

The build begins. A quick note, the horizontal stab is made up of 2 pieces. They are keyed to aid in gluing. The tabs are not located centered on the parts, so if at first they don't line up, don't start hacking away, flip one of the parts over :-)

jkpape 01-05-2013 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Both Gee Bee Model D & E

1/16 strips added to horizontal stab to simulate the ribs. I wish I had some ca glue to do this. They get added to both sides as well as the vertical stab, rudder & elevator halves.This is new to the current kit. The original Coverite kit did not have these.

TLH101 01-05-2013 12:52 PM

I thought you had a Model D. That's a Model E. About the same plane, except with a radial engine.

jkpape 01-05-2013 01:08 PM

Woops, your right. Is there any way to change the title of a thread? I do have both kits though.

jkpape 01-06-2013 05:03 PM

Ok, looks like I will be doing a double build on here of both the Brodak-Spirit of Yesteryear Gee Bee Model D & E kits. I must be nuts to build 2 kits at once:-)

Gypsy56 01-06-2013 08:48 PM

Great, I'll be following closely, been thinking about buying one or both.
I built the Coverite Model D in the early eighties and let someone talk me out of it.

ARUP 01-06-2013 09:36 PM

Are all of the parts shown on the plans? If not then trace the 'missing' ones for future reference.

jkpape 01-07-2013 09:18 AM

Plans do not show all the parts. There's just a side view of the fuselage & plan view of the wing.
Just a heads up, the wing plans that came with the D model that I received were undersize. I don't know if Brodak has corrected that yet.

jkpape 01-08-2013 05:30 PM

I haven't done much on the Model E, so nothing worth reporting. I'm going to install a OS FL-70 4-stroke. I'm leaning toward mounting it upright. I will have to modify/recess the firewall. The plans call for 3 deg down thrust. I'll post some photos once I get it sorted out. Got to stop off at the Hobby shop for some 1/4" plywood & glue tomorrow.

Aldo Rebsamen 01-18-2013 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Gee Bee's designed by Henry Haffke are great flyers. Although the Coverite kits build a bit on the havy side and are rather a motivation package than real kits. But once you start building you always find your own way to build that airframe. I will follow your build http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif.

Regards Aldo

jkpape 01-18-2013 06:57 PM

Aldo, do you still have your Gee Bee? I built one of the early Coverite Gee Bee Model E's back in the eighties. I ended up selling it before finishing painting it. I remember that parts did not fit very well and the instructions left a lot to be desired. The new kits so much better than the originals except for the instructions. That's the main reason for doing the build on here. They actually build fairly easy if a person has built a few kits.

Right now, I am working on the E model. I'm not going to start on the D model until I decide on what I want to use for an engine. I'm thinking I may want to try one of the new Evolution 10cc gassers on it.

Aldo Rebsamen 01-20-2013 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Joe, yes I still have the Gee Bee D and I fly it 3 to 4 times a year. It is not an everyday-flyer, although it has no bad habits.

I also did some work on a Gee Bee E from Coverite. But it is sitting there for years. I will first make an everyday-flyer before I restart the work on my Model E.

Regards, Aldo

Behind the fuse of the YAK you can spot the tail of the Model E and underneeth the wing is the cowl. I have too many projects.

ARUP 01-20-2013 06:25 PM

I flew my 'X' (GeeBee 'D' conversion) with an O.S. 40 four stroke. Yours will really scoot with a 70!

jkpape 01-20-2013 06:55 PM

ARUP, we'll see. I've got the OS-FL-70. I had it nib. I hope it's not a mistake. I haven't heard much good about this engine. One of the reasons that I'm installing it in the up position. It's got some really funky plumbing for the fuel tank. I'll be posting some photos of the engine installation in the next few days.

Ardo, nice looking jet. Is it EDF, turbine. I want to do the turbine thing, but just can't seem to get past the possibility of $7000.00 dollar smoking hole. :-)

Aldo Rebsamen 01-21-2013 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Joe, it is an EDF-powered proedf-Draken. I think today it's sold through Hobbyking. Power is 6S4000 with a 90mm Midi-Fan and a NeuMotor. About 1500 Watts in 2.7kg plane. It does fly quite nice.It is not a dollar-burner. Most expensive part is the ESC from Kontronik. We have a grass runway, therefore the Draken is for bungy and has no landing-gear.

I have an OS-70-SP-I 4-stroke in my Gee Bee D, but it does not need that much power. Without flying-wires it is a pretty fast plane. I also bought10 years ago an OS-70-FL for the Model E, for the reason of having an engine not as heavy as the SP-I (I had to put some weight in the tail of the Model D). I learn "don't buy an engine before you need it". Today the OS-70-alpha would be a good choice.

I will learn from your experience with the OS-FL. I mounted mine inverted, let's see how it will run.

I think you don't need 3 degree of downthrust. I have 0 degree on my Gee Bee. May be the different airfoil leeds to some downthrust andthat radial cowl compensates some of the nose-heavy momentumgiven by the wheel-fairings. The Gee Bee Z even needs some upthrust due to it's big wheel-fairings. I would go with 0 to 1 degree.

That YAK will eat the Gee Bee.

Regards Aldo