RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   ~~SIG Brotherhood ~~ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11593544-%7E%7Esig-brotherhood-%7E%7E.html)

Mike Gretz 02-21-2014 06:44 AM

The differences between the KOUGAR and the KOUGAR MkII were not noticable in the label picture, thus it wasn't changed. One of two improvements was the center section of the wing. The original KOUGAR did not have a stationary piece attached to the wing between the two inboard ends of the ailerons. It was left open. The other main difference was going to an injection molded ABS cowling, instead of a vac-u-formed ABS cowling. The KOUGAR was selling well enough at that time to justify the large expense of making an injection mold for the cowling. That same cowling is used on the KING KOBRA.

Mike

FlyerInOKC 02-21-2014 06:52 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Mike!

bchapman 02-21-2014 07:18 AM

Nice to know the back story on Sig kits, especially the Kougar. I've never built one, but I've heard so mant good thighs about them I gotta do it. I started flying SPA events a couple years ago and I believe that the Kougar is a legal airframe. The planes can't be designed after 1976 I think.

Brian

cloudancer03 02-21-2014 08:47 AM

Add me to the brotherhood.i built over the years many of the kits and right know am finishing a sig liberty sport.will use a a os 91 surpass. A couple years back built a sig 1/4 scale spacewalker.

Sgt. Meyer 02-21-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cloudancer03 (Post 11742276)
Add me to the brotherhood.i built over the years many of the kits and right know am finishing a sig liberty sport.will use a a os 91 surpass. A couple years back built a sig 1/4 scale spacewalker.

Hey, dancer,

Let us know how that Liberty Sport flies. My dad built one back in the 70's and just hung it up down at our office. Beautiful red/white silk & dope job. Never even had an engine mounted on it. I recently gave it to a nephew to hang it in his son's bedroom. I'm thinking about taking it back and re-covering it (the old fabric is kinda tender after all these years) and getting it back in flying shape. That's a really pretty bird, but I'm a little intimidated by biplanes.

Steve.

p.s. - need pics.

Super08 02-21-2014 09:17 AM

I have built a few over the years. Anyone remember the Klipper or Colt? I currently have a Kavalier nib that I just bought.

FlyerInOKC 02-21-2014 10:53 AM

I was curious at what a Colt looked liked and found for sale in a virtual yard sale in Louisville! Anyone in that area interested? Link is below.

http://www.margnat.com/DalesBigList.html

Super08 02-21-2014 11:01 AM

That is a good buy. The Colt was the plane that I finally taught myself how to fly with. The easiest way to finish the wing back then was to paint it with Varathane which was one of the few foam safe fuel proof paints of the time.

US185Damiani 02-21-2014 12:14 PM

Sig Kougar, King Kobra, and Kommander here

cloudancer03 02-21-2014 01:17 PM

Well sarge when I have it covered I will post a pic on this site.j got it all from a friend who stripped it and I put out an sos for landing gear and one fine gent sent me his.the 90 four stroke should fly it nicely.bought prepainted coverite and because the lhs had it a long time soldit for the price of momokote.i had to correct a lot of modifcations but when done should be good as new.

SushiHunter 02-21-2014 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Gretz (Post 11742179)
The differences between the KOUGAR and the KOUGAR MkII were not noticable in the label picture, thus it wasn't changed. One of two improvements was the center section of the wing. The original KOUGAR did not have a stationary piece attached to the wing between the two inboard ends of the ailerons. It was left open. The other main difference was going to an injection molded ABS cowling, instead of a vac-u-formed ABS cowling. The KOUGAR was selling well enough at that time to justify the large expense of making an injection mold for the cowling. That same cowling is used on the KING KOBRA.

Mike

Great information! The SIG Komet that I'm in the process of building must be one of those older SIG kits, which I estimated is between 40 and 45 years old. One of the things you mentioned was "the stationary piece attached to the wing between the two inboard ends of the ailerons". The Komet does not have this stationary piece, I have incorporated that specific design into the current Komet build that I'm working on. I didn't like they way the plans showed a gap in that area and felt the stationary piece is not only an appearance enhancement but also an structural integrity enhancement as well. Another enhancement to this Komet that I incorporated into this bird from the Kougar builds is the two dowels that hold the front of the wing into place to the fuselage. The Komet plans call for only one dowel. The Kougar has two so I went with building two dowel system into the Komet. This would be strictly a structural integrity enhancement, as the dowels are not visible when the wing has been attached to the fuselage. I also added a little more balsa materials to the fuselage where the horizontal stabilizer mounts to the tail section. Also added to the Komet is solid bulkheads, four of them in total between the tail section and the trailing edge of the wing. There is now absolutely no flex in the entire fuselage at all. I'm installing a much more powerful and modern power plant into this plane than what it was originally designed for, so I knew I had to accommodate such changes in the form of strengthening up the fuselage a bit.

I've not built a Kobra or King Kobra before so these are two birds I may build in the future.

Hab 02-21-2014 03:30 PM

I have few Sig kits under my belt. MK II Kadet - (2) My original I soloed on, and another I just built for my son , Kavalier and with the idea of doing another once the board is clear, Smith Mini and a Sig Skybolt awaiting on the shelf. Sig has designed and kitted some excellent flying and durable planes.
Please add me to the list of Sig Brotherhood.

Thanks - Ken

Sgt. Meyer 02-21-2014 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Super08 (Post 11742294)
I have built a few over the years. Anyone remember the Klipper or Colt? I currently have a Kavalier nib that I just bought.

I am currently flying a Klipper that my Dad built in about 1974. See my post #154.

I'm thinking about cutting out the ailerons and hooking them up.

I'm off work for a few days, so I'll post some pics when I figure out how to do it.

I'd like to get hold of a Scamp or a Super Sport, the taildraggers that used the same wing.

Steve.

Smashmaster 02-21-2014 06:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Please count me in.
I have a Hog Bipe,and a Kougar put together.
I originally had a Saito .82 for the Hog. But decided it needed a a saito 100 before I ever flew it.. The motor mounts were a tad too close together for the 100. Being lazy,I decided to shave a little off each mount for the 100 to fit instead of redrilling new holes in the firewall,all along thinking "this isn't a good idea". The plane was flying awesome and everything couldn't have been better until the motor mounts broke "I didn't really think it would happen". 12 of us looked for the motor for a couple hours and couldn't find it. It was found the next day though. The fuse is broken,but I think it's repairable I WILL get the Hog in the air again when I get time.. Moral of the story is don't take any chances on motor mounts .

I don't have any Pics of the Kougar yet,but I'll take some and post one before I fly it.
I also have a 4* 40 to put together.

Rv7garage 02-21-2014 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my Miniplane (almost 8 years old now!), sitting next to the kit that my bud just gave me. I also have built 2 Somethin' Extras over the years, and have another kit in the box...

Rv7garage 02-21-2014 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of my Sig 1/5 Anniversary Cub (old pic, still had a few finishing touches left to do)...

Super08 02-21-2014 07:03 PM

Nice!! Love the colors.

Rv7garage 02-21-2014 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I also dug dug out a pic of my last SSE build as well- I regret selling that bird! It's ok tho, I will build another one some day :)

cloudancer03 02-22-2014 01:56 PM

Love seeing all these sigkits .remi ds me of good flying sessions with the club on weekens
Ds

cloudancer03 02-22-2014 02:41 PM

After finizhing my first bipe I am seriously considering another one.the logical choice it seems would be the hogbipe.

ThunderBoat42 03-01-2014 11:05 AM

!!!!! On the SIG web site Noticed on the "Discontinued" tab of the web site a few favorites are going away. Sad. Also, Fox issued a letter stating they are suspending production w pricing driven by the cheap Chinese imports and sales down. Terrible.

If one of your favorites are there.. You may want to snatch it before their gone. I hope it's not permanent.

The LHS's in AL and GA I've visited in the last 2 weeks listed as dealers did not have inventory .. I was hoping to buy local and encourage them to get more inventory. I did tell them there are many people that appreciate their products. I have asked both to make available.
I did find a CL LHS that had some inventory. It's not helping w Tower and Horizon not including the SigM products

cloudancer03 03-01-2014 12:56 PM

It is a part of the hobby that concerns me and I know theres nothing we can do.i know things change as time goes on but sig kits have long been a staple of oour hobby.how many of us learned to fly on a sig kadet.nothing flies like a balsa plane and thats just the little boy in me.i just cant embrace foam.

fix-n-fly 03-01-2014 01:00 PM

I am really sorry to see the discontinuation of the following Sig Kits:

King Kobra (RC)
Mid-star (RC)
Super Chipmunk (Control Line)
Skyray 35

I realize if kits aren't selling that they can't justify keeping them in stock, but some of these planes have been around for decades.

Smashmaster 03-01-2014 02:35 PM

Hmmm,I can't find where it says that on the Sig websight.
If it's true I might have to grab a King Kobra.

cloudancer03 03-01-2014 06:14 PM

Almost finished with liberty sport.i forgot when sig called a kit a craftsman kit.and I used to think they had more pieces than anyone.but these days I have come to appreciate the fun building has brought me personally.kind of renewed my interest in the hobby.