Sig Spacewalker 1/3 scale (by rookie)
First a little about me.
My name is Kevin
This will be my third kit build.
My first was a Sig Kadet. I finished the Kadet last year about this time.
I learned to fly on the Kadet this past summer. Crashed it twice and rebuilt it twice.
I will be continuing to improve my flying skills on the Kadet in the spring.
This pic is of the 2nd rebuild. On the 2nd crash I lawn darted it and buried the engine under terra firma.
The wing and tail feathers was all that was salvageable. Ordered another fuse kit from sig
and put her back together.
The second build was just completed. It is a Sig Something extra that I bashed a little.
I probably won't be ready to fly this yet come spring. Will have the guy who taught me to fly
I got interested in the Spacewalker while reading VincentJ's Spacewalker 2 build. His builds as well as his build logs are first rate. A joy to read.
I chose the 1/3 scale over the 1/4 for three reasons.
1. I already had a 55 DLE engine.(wouldn't have to buy an engine)
2. I have to get this into or on top of a Honda Civic. The 3 piece wing of the 1/3 seemed to make this possible.
3. If your going to go big, well ..................
Ok now, lets begin.
I will try and do a step by step build log.
This is the box it comes in
Attachment 1968940Attachment 1968944Attachment 1968945
At the unboxing and inventory this kit felt daunting.
The wing ribs have been removed from there tree's in these pics.
They are made from ply and stayed very flat, very little bowing.
Attachment 1968953 Attachment 1968954
Some subassemblies are required to be done before the wing construction is to commence.
First was to laminate the 4 wing spars.
The laminations consist of 4 different lengths of spruce strips.
They are 1/8 by 3/4. The longest being 48 inches.
This was my first layup. Sig suggests using epoxy for the lamination. I used Hysol.
I used magnets to hold the spruce straight and square.
As I watched the epoxy squeeze out. I thought. Dummy. Epoxy is getting all over your magnets and your going to glue your magnets to the spar. So I waited for the epoxy to jell. Remove magnets from one side, cleaned epoxy off them. Then scraped the squeeze out off side of spar. Replaced magnets and repeated on other side.
This is my second layup. I used wax paper.
Attachment 1968970 Attachment 1968973 Attachment 1968975
Till next time.