RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Balsa USA Brotherhood (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11597922-balsa-usa-brotherhood.html)

Leroy Gardner 11-21-2014 04:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
There are some very good builders and a lot of nice planes shown here, hope I do as well with my Balsa J3 1/4 scale being built into a scale Super Cub, I have a long ways to go yet, maybe I should join the club.

Leroy

3136 11-22-2014 01:59 PM

Welcome Leroy, you have #89, list above edited.
I have been watching your progress, lookin good.

Leroy Gardner 11-22-2014 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 3136 (Post 11923126)

Thank you Mark, will have to add it to my signature,
After what I got in the Balsa USA 1/4 scale J3 kit for plans I'm not sure I will ever buy another kit of theirs, plans are pretty bad and a lot of corrections had to be made not to mention cutting some formers to fit and all the ribs were not the same size. All stuff I can fix but shouldn't be that way.

Leroy

AndyF 11-22-2014 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner (Post 11923314)
After what I got in the Balsa USA 1/4 scale J3 kit for plans I'm not sure I will ever buy another kit of theirs, plans are pretty bad and a lot of corrections had to be made not to mention cutting some formers to fit and all the ribs were not the same size. All stuff I can fix but shouldn't be that way.

Leroy

They will replace any defective part per their warranty on the kit. Just give them a call.

Andy

ARUP 11-23-2014 05:54 AM

Leroy

I can certainly understand but for the money these are great kits, IMHO.

3136 11-24-2014 01:49 AM

Leroy

Hmmm.................. the balsa USA brotherhood was meant to be for people who;
Love building BUSA planes
Love discussing BUSA planes
Love talking about their next BUSA plane
Love showing off their BUSA planes.

It doesn't sound like you fit into any of these categories.
This is the first time I felt the need to do so, however you are stripped of your BUSA # and evicted from the brotherhood.

AMA 74894 11-24-2014 07:10 AM

:) I know the feeling, Brother! Work has been absolute lunacy for the past couple weeks and is only gonna get worse until the last shipping day before Christmas.
The Pup is coning along very nicely, and YES, I'm still planning to stitch all the fabric :-O This has truly whetted my appetite for some more real live scale building :D
(I'm thinking GTM or Proctor for the next one :) things are good.)

Originally Posted by RCKen (Post 11922624)
Jim,
Sorry that I have had time to say hi lately. Things have been totally crazy for me with far east hacker inviting my me upgrade some of my servers (had to reinstall and upgrade 2 firewalls, a web server, and a mail server) the last few weeks and dealing with our family dog almost dying. It's been quite eventful. Anyway, the pup is really looking great there. Have you made any more progress on the covering?? Are you still planing on doing the truly authentic covering for the plane like the original plane was done??

Ken

jwrich 11-24-2014 07:19 AM

+ 1, built them for years, I have 10 photos on their web site of my BUSA Airplanes. Sorry Leroy

Rich
BUSA Brother #11

Karp050555 11-26-2014 04:05 PM

To all my brothers, Happy Thanksgiving from the one, the only, The Karp!

vertical grimmace 11-26-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Karp050555 (Post 11925702)
To all my brothers, Happy Thanksgiving from the one, the only, The Karp!

A Karp never forgets! lol

Back at yah!

So to the brotherhood, what will be your next Busa build? Mine will most likely be the 1/6th German offering. Whatever that may be.

Karp050555 11-26-2014 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the DR-1 with the NGH 38cc gas four stroker. Love it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2050359http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2050360

acerc 11-26-2014 05:10 PM

I have peered in on this thread many times and have enjoyed watching a lot of what has taken place. Keep up the good work!

s3nfo 11-26-2014 05:29 PM

Just ordered the QS D7 kit and Scott Annis' shock absorbing landing gear mod

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace (Post 11925707)
A Karp never forgets! lol

Back at yah!

So to the brotherhood, what will be your next Busa build? Mine will most likely be the 1/6th German offering. Whatever that may be.

vertical grimmace 11-26-2014 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by s3nfo (Post 11925773)
Just ordered the QS D7 kit and Scott Annis' shock absorbing landing gear mod

This gear mod is available as a kit?

John_M_ 11-26-2014 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 3136 (Post 11923126)

Leroy

Originally Posted by 3136 (Post 11923973)
Hmmm.................. the balsa USA brotherhood was meant to be for people who;
Love building BUSA planes
Love discussing BUSA planes
Love talking about their next BUSA plane
Love showing off their BUSA planes.

It doesn't sound like you fit into any of these categories.
This is the first time I felt the need to do so, however you are stripped of your BUSA # and evicted from the brotherhood.

Hey Mark, aren't you over reacting a bit... you're beginning to sound more like an "Emperor", rather than someone with the "Camaraderie" to run a brotherhood thread as you are.... Leroy was mentioning his observations regarding the BalsaUSA kit he is working on... there was nothing derogatory mentioned towards the BalsaUSA brotherhood, or its members; just some things he would like to see better about the kit... for the majority, and "maturity" of this board, that is part of discussing builds... I never got disbanded from the Cub brotherhood because I mentioned things about Piper Cubs I don't like, or would like to see changed / different.

Maybe you should step down, and hand it over to someone who has the decency, respect, and certainly the maturity to lead a group with Camaraderie as a Brotherhood should be lead.

John M,

Leroy Gardner 11-26-2014 09:13 PM

Any time a person can post in honesty something about a certain kit he's building regardless of who,s kit it is and get a response it got is a reminder of how we are having our rights of free speech hindered. Mark what country did you come from, your sure not an American, you see we have that right and no butt head can take that away, Another thing I did not ask to be added to your club I simply said, maybe I should get on your list and you took it upon yourself to add me and now I'm glad you took me off.

I could ram you in a hole 3136 but you are digging one of your own, have a nice trip.

Hope you all have a nice thanksgiving, personally I have a lot to be thankful for, after all this is America, home of the brave, land of the free and of free speech.

Proud to be Leroy

vertical grimmace 11-26-2014 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner (Post 11925916)
Any time a person can post in honesty something about a certain kit he's building regardless of who,s kit it is and get a response it got is a reminder of how we are having our rights of free speech hindered. Mark what country did you come from, your sure not an American, you see we have that right and no butt head can take that away, Another thing I did not ask to be added to your club I simply said, maybe I should get on your list and you took it upon yourself to add me and now I'm glad you took me off.

I could ram you in a hole 3136 but you are digging one of your own, have a nice trip.

Hope you all have a nice thanksgiving, personally I have a lot to be thankful for, after all this is America, home of the brave, land of the free and of free speech.

Proud to be Leroy

Leroy, I wonder if your kit is new, or maybe an older one? I have found the new kits I have built were of very high quality. I cannot speak from experience, but I have heard that the old kits, designs were not as user friendly.

Regardless, good luck with your build, I am finishing an aircraft now, that I got from a kit cutter that was so bad, I will not even mention who it is as I do not want to advertise for them. It has become a complete scratch build, considering all of the parts I recut and replaced.

3136 11-26-2014 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner (Post 11922658)
There are some very good builders and a lot of nice planes shown here, hope I do as well with my Balsa J3 1/4 scale being built into a scale Super Cub, I have a long ways to go yet, maybe I should join the club.

Leroy

Leroy,
you did ask to join, read your post.

I started the Balsa USA brotherhood to create a place where all people who love BUSA planes could congregate and swap stories, pics, info etc.
Upon being welcomed you stated that
the ribs were bad,
the formers were bad,
the plans were bad
and you had no intention of buying another Balsa USA kit.

That's hardly a way to act after being welcomed, to me this came across as trolling.

Lets say someone joined the NRA, in their first club meeting they said "I don't like guns, guns kill people, guns are bad"
Do you think that person would be welcome?

Leroy asked where I'm from, Australia.
If you look at the login name on the left it shows join date, location and posts.

That being said I may not be American, however I have a great love of Balsa USA kits and I will rapidly defend them, and make no apologies for doing so.

3136 11-27-2014 12:04 AM

Leroy you also said this in your cub thread,

"Enjoyment, "oh yeah", this one is like redesigning the whole set of plans, I have never seen such a mess, crocked lines, out of square and parts don't fit following the plans. I'm not going to address this with Balsa USA, if they cared they wouldn't have put these plans in the box of wood in the first place. Wing would be 109" following the plan, they have been corrected and has the flaps drawn on them now. It's all laid out with the trailing edges of flaps & ailerons much like the real plane drawings.

All in all I will have a super cub in the end and yes it is enjoyable fixing a mess I was provided, :) Shame on Balsa USA, :(:("

So that was also taken into consideration.

3136 11-27-2014 01:41 AM

BTW John M Don't send me any more PM's.
I'm not the slightest bit interested in your opinion.

Karp050555 11-27-2014 05:03 AM

I know the people of BUSA personally and I must say they're a great bunch of people who will bend over backwards to help you. That being said, I agree with Leroy that there are shortcomings in their kits but things must be taken with a grain of salt. When I was building my MS-1, I was on the phone with them whenever I got stuck. They were helpful and never condesending. I found the die cutting on my Camel to be somewhat lacking and they offered to replace any parts I needed no questions asked. They have no voice mail or pick a number system on their phones. You talk to real people. I'd rather have that than never being able to get a human on the phone.
Being part of a brotherhood means being a brother. Brothers may sometimes fight amongst themselves but will band together when messed with. That being said, I see nothing wrong with what Leroy posted. He said what he felt but not in a defamitory way. There is no way he deserved to be talked to in this manner. Mr. 3136, would you like to be talked to like this? Taking an "it's my ball so it's my rules" attitude seems very childish to me. Also, everybody needs to take a chill pill or something. You're in this hobby to have fun. Remember that.

vertical grimmace 11-27-2014 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Karp050555 (Post 11926016)
I know the people of BUSA personally and I must say they're a great bunch of people who will bend over backwards to help you. That being said, I agree with Leroy that there are shortcomings in their kits but things must be taken with a grain of salt. When I was building my MS-1, I was on the phone with them whenever I got stuck. They were helpful and never condesending. I found the die cutting on my Camel to be somewhat lacking and they offered to replace any parts I needed no questions asked. They have no voice mail or pick a number system on their phones. You talk to real people. I'd rather have that than never being able to get a human on the phone.
Being part of a brotherhood means being a brother. Brothers may sometimes fight amongst themselves but will band together when messed with. That being said, I see nothing wrong with what Leroy posted. He said what he felt but not in a defamitory way. There is no way he deserved to be talked to in this manner. Mr. 3136, would you like to be talked to like this? Taking an "it's my ball so it's my rules" attitude seems very childish to me. Also, everybody needs to take a chill pill or something. You're in this hobby to have fun. Remember that.

Interesting your die cutting was so so, considering those have to be new dies, as the camel is a new kit. It must have been the wood selected that did not cut well. I have always been impressed with BUSA's die cutting. I have experienced the bad side of it with all of the old Sterling kits I built! Die crunch!
I have spoken to them about laser cutting, and the answer was simple, it takes to long. Which is a good thing in reality, as they sell a lot of kits, so die cutting is a more efficient manufacturing process. As long as the die cutting is as good as I have had, I will not complain, although I do prefer the accuracy of the laser.

Karp050555 11-27-2014 07:40 AM

Yes, I called and asked if the die cut sheets were generic and shared by several kits but was told the dies were brand new for the Camel. But, it's not really such a big trouble to use a #11 knife and cut them out. I remember the Sterling kits (made in Philadelphia, BTW) with their die crunch kits. And the SIG kits where the lines were printed on the wood and you had to cut them out. Such fun. I thought I had died and went to heaven when I built my first Carl Goldberg kit. Drop out die cutting and everything actually fit.

BTW, Vertical Grimmace, I like your quote from Flash Gordon but I like this one better.

"Out of my way, Dildo", Wang the Perverted from Flesh Gordon.

vertical grimmace 11-27-2014 09:04 AM

The Goldberg kits were revolutionary. Ushered in a whole new level, expectation of quality. It seemed in the 80's, half of the planes at the field were Goldberg's. Sig followed suit with their later kits. I suppose cutting out the inked parts would not be a big deal for me now with a bandsaw, but when I was a kid, lucky to have a sharp x-acto knife, they were troublesome at best. There is the old trick of sanding the back sides of the sheets to help free your die cut parts.

Max Von Sydow made that movie. You must be referring to the adult version, which I must have missed. Netflix does not seem to have that one! lol

Karp050555 11-27-2014 09:49 AM

No, these were clearly not cut through far enough. Sanding wouldn't do it; only a knife. As for Flash Gordon, that was the Sam Jones version wasn't it?