RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Balsa USA Brotherhood (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11597922-balsa-usa-brotherhood.html)

jeffEE 06-20-2016 02:07 PM

So if you were thinking about getting a DRI, but were worried about how hard it is to taxi/fly/land, Fear NOT! This thing is a sweetheart. Yes, I made a point of taking off and landing into the wind, but that's how is gotta be done. And I know I posted this link on the 1/3 scale DRI thread, but if anyone did not see it there I put it here too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFUAJIj428 Time to pack up and head to the Windy City Warbirds gathering.

foodstick 06-20-2016 06:40 PM

I must admit the reviews on the 1/3 being such a well behaved DR1 is what sold me on it.... Other than I already had the perfect motor just sitting there. Yours sure seems to be flying easy on the 62 cc's !

I have the foam brushes and paint out.. but I am not gonna rush it.. just going to savor it and hopefully nail the streaked look ... There have been quite a few nice DR1 paint jobs rolling off the line this season.

jeffEE 06-21-2016 07:08 AM

best advice I can give on the camo streaks is test, test, test, test, test, test, test, and then try it on the airframe. Good luck.

foodstick 06-21-2016 03:16 PM

WILL DO ! ;)

I am thinking of trying a few different ideas on brush mods to get the real distinct streak look, so I will be making some test passes on some card board "Prolly" ;)

3136 06-22-2016 02:27 AM

Hey Foodstick if you go back to page 14, post 335 and keep reading the following posts there are a few ideas that may help.

Awesome Dr1 Art.

R/C Art 06-22-2016 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 3136 (Post 12226901)
Awesome Dr1 Art.

Thanks. It has been a great project. Dale, a friend from Arkansas convinced a mutual friend Brian, in Missouri, to build
3 of them if we would pay for his. Well he accepted the challenge. I have been flying mine 2 seasons with this flying season being the 3rd. We never did get to fly them together though.......a couple of weeks ago we all got together in Eureka Springs, AR with that intent. I flew with Dale and then I flew with Brian.....Dale and Brian had flown together the past couple of years.

But, there is always a but......before we could get them all up in the air at the same time Brian lost his on the side of the mountain. It was heavily damaged. So a flight with all three of them will probably never happen.

But as you can see from the IOK video I really like flying mine and it is a great flying model.

jwrich 06-22-2016 02:43 PM

I wish I could have made the Eureka Springs trip, sounds like you guys had a great time. Sorry I missed see you and Rhoda. Maybe next year my health will be better.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich

R/C Art 06-22-2016 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jwrich (Post 12227130)
I wish I could have made the Eureka Springs trip, sounds like you guys had a great time. Sorry I missed see you and Rhoda. Maybe next year my health will be better.

Rich

Rich, I sure wish you well. Rhonda and I missed visiting with you. You always bring a special flavor to each event that you attend and we look forward to the next time we can get together.
Cheers,
Art

Quigleywins 06-25-2016 01:21 AM

Newport 11 in the air

1 Attachment(s)
I don't fly this that much it's only been out 3 times for a total of 5 flights ,so at this rare it should last for ever. Such a great aircraft to fly even when there is a bit of wind. Yours Paul T

jwrich 06-26-2016 09:41 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Art. I did fly at the "War Birds Over Tulsa" this weekend with no bad effects. It was great being with all the guys flyin' and having fun. I plan to go to the "Okie Dawn Patrol" in a couple weeks.

Take care
Rich

jeffEE 06-26-2016 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
just got back from the Windy City Warbirds and Classics event in St. Charles IL. It was another well run weekend of flying fun and good food. The tri plane put in three good flights and one not so great. On the second flight Friday, I went to reduce power to land and found that I had lost the servo for the throttle. At least it was stuck in safe flying speed. So I just flew around until it ran out of gas. 22 minutes later, a dead stick was declared, and the tripe floated in as if that's how it landed all the time. This is a really well behaved air frame. The problem was fixed, and the plane flew later the same day with no issues. A really great first event with this bird. And we were awarded First place in the WWI category. I was speechless. I will have to invest in an on board kill switch. I also talked to the Balsa USA guys at the event and gave them my instruction book with all of the problems that this kit has. They said they would look it over and set about fixing what they could. Time to un pack.

FlyerInOKC 06-27-2016 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Quigleywins (Post 12227955)
I don't fly this that much it's only been out 3 times for a total of 5 flights ,so at this rare it should last for ever. Such a great aircraft to fly even when there is a bit of wind. Yours Paul T

Famous last words before the hanger rash!

flyboy2610 07-05-2016 05:48 PM

I do not own a BUSA kit. There, I said it. In fact, at this point I don't own anything that flies at all. In fact, it will probably be next spring before I can rejoin the AMA and the local club to resume my flight training which life and a career change cut short 15 years ago.
My ultimate RC goal, however, is to build and fly (without re-kitting the plane) A 1/4 scale BUSA Spad XIII, one of my favorite WWI aircraft.
http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/404.htm

The 1/3 scale Albatross, http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/433.htm, is nice too, but my life would be short and my death long if the wife ever found out I spent that much on a plane!
So, if you all don't mind, I'll just stand over here by the fence and watch.:)

FlyerInOKC 07-05-2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by flyboy2610 (Post 12231529)
I do not own a BUSA kit. There, I said it. In fact, at this point I don't own anything that flies at all. In fact, it will probably be next spring before I can rejoin the AMA and the local club to resume my flight training which life and a career change cut short 15 years ago.
My ultimate RC goal, however, is to build and fly (without re-kitting the plane) A 1/4 scale BUSA Spad XIII, one of my favorite WWI aircraft.
http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/404.htm

The 1/3 scale Albatross, http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/433.htm, is nice too, but my life would be short and my death long if the wife ever found out I spent that much on a plane!
So, if you all don't mind, I'll just stand over here by the fence and watch.:)

We don't mind watch all you want and here's to you getting to build that Spad!

Twin_Flyer 07-06-2016 04:20 AM

May I have the next number please?

I own: Pheaton II, Pheaton 90 and the EAA Bipe.

Thanks!

Bill .

jwrich 07-06-2016 04:40 AM

Welcome Bill, you must love Biplanes as I do. Years ago I had the Pheaton II, great flying little airplane, lost it in a mid-air crash. When you can post some pictures of your planes. Again Welcome:cool:

It would be helpful for me if all BUSA Brothers would post their BUSA Brotherhood number in their signature. If I have missed anyone please let me know.

BUSA brothers

#1 jwrich, Enid, OK, USA
#2 Jeffo New Baltimore, MI, USA
#3 ARUP KY USA
#4 RCKen Lawton, OK, USA (RCU Forum Manager/Admin)
#5 mattnew, Haverhill, MA, USA
#6 surmovik60 VA USA
#7 GerKonig, Levittown, PA, USA
#8 Granpooba, Queensbury, NY, USA
#9 radfordc, Lansing, KS, USA
#10 balsa brain, Jacksonville, FL, USA
#11 3136 Victoria Austrialia **
#12 wwoneguy, Beltsville, MD, USA
#13 vertical grimmace, Ft. Collins, CO, USA
#14 rcmiket, El Paso, TX, USA
#15 bpoates25, Riverview, FL, USA
#16 PiperDriver, Rolling Meadows, IL, USA
#17 68goat Alabaster, AL, USA
#18 jlsimon, Long Valley, NJ, USA
#19 pat s, Candor, NC, USA
#20 pending IN USA
#21 Steve Percifield, Noblesville, IN, USA (Sir Percy)
#22 opol, Two Harbors, MN, USA
#23 Zero, Houston, TX, USA
#24 tonyos, Madison Heights, VA, USA
#25 b206, Opdyke, IL, USA
#26 LonnieMcc, Carriere, MS, USA
#27 eindecer3, McMinnville, TN, USA
#28 flyer35, Ilion, NY, USA
#29 jeffEE, Farnington, NM, USA
#30 s3nfo, San Diego, CA, USA
#31 Kwikfli, Winfield, KS, USA
#32 JDHammer, Slippery Rock, PA, USA
#33 Ikruse, Lawton, OK, USA
#34 bobbailey, Chesapeake, VA, USA
#35 Vampire, Bath, PA, USA
#36 zemkes_wolfpack, Winamac, IN, USA
#37 triumphman49, Decatur, AL, USA
#38 SRQFlyer, Sarasota, FL, USA
#39 Daniel-EL, Maumee, OH, USA
#40 hairy46, Sinclair, WY' USA
#41 pettit, Durham, NC, USA
#42 Hrannar, Patrekfjordur, Iceland **
#43 lowbubba, Miamisburg, OH, USA
#45 FokkerD7, Cable, OH, USA
#44 FireBee, Chesapeake, VA, USA
#46 iampilot2, Middletown, OH, USA
#47 Wagon1,Penscola, FL, USA
#48 darren 4, Eau Claire, WI, USA
#49 Luxuswaffe, Hialeah, FL, USA
#50 dryverman, West Rutland, VT, USA
#51 otterrc FL USA
#52 cooper998, Newark, DE, USA
#53 lazyace, Buffalo, NY, USA
#54 wings2an3 Monroe, NY, USA
#55 The Pamster, Dallas, TX, USA
#56 lucasar15, Pottsville, PA, USA
#57 AMA74894, Spicer, MN, USA (Moderator Jim Buzzeo)
#58 squidman, Waco, TX, USA
#59 M_Callahan, South Lebanon, OH, USA
#60 Karp050555, Philadelphia, PA, USA
#61 optech, San Diego, CA, USA
#62 ashby NSW Australia **
#63 R/C Art, Shelbyville, IN, USA
#64 on_your_six MD USA
#65 Highflyer2, Alpharetta, GA, USA
#66 dddaviddean NJ USA
#67 Quagmire, Costa Mesa, CA, USA
#68 pending CA USA
#69 ratshooter, Burleson, TX, USA
#70 TXAG96, Augusta, MI, USA
#71 R/C Ray, Valley Cottage, NY, USA
#72 feep, Pelham, NH, USA
#73 sdcranford, Willard, MO, USA
#74 buzzard bait, Ithaca, NY, USA
#75 chadasmus, Freedom WI, USA, (BUSA Team Pilot, Builder and Designer)
#76 fokv25, Westfield, IN, USA
#77 Dynamic, Stratford, WI, USA
#78 WinterHawke, Waukesha, WI, USA
#79 t6racer NSW Australia **
#80 NM2K, Ringgold, GA, USA
#81 rcjunky67, Belleview, FL, USA
#82 AndyF Ft. Wayne, IN, USA
#83 freefall2907, Ottumwa, IA, USA
#84 a65l, Virginia Beach, VA, USA
#85 Grimracer, Urbana, IL, USA
#86 Corsair2013, Granytsville, UT, USA
#87 Chevelle NY USA
#88 eagledancer, Orlando, FL, USA
#89 Leroy Gardner ID USA
#90 ANZAC Australia **
#91 Spadsriver09, Southbend, IN, USA
#92 PSB, Malven, OH, USA
#93 bradpaul, Apopka, FL, USA
#94 MRadu, Los Gatos, CA, USA
#95 HorsePowerAviation, Cincinnati, OH, USA
#96 Shoestring, Granite, MN, USA
#97 David Gladwin, CookhamBerkshire, United Kingdom **
#98 Rich6170, Springfield, OH, USA
#99 Wildbills21, Menominee, MI, USA, (Team BUSA, pilot, builder,& chief mechanic)
#100 Rickj, Akron, OH, USA
#101 Geezeraviation, Houston, TX, USA
#102 Flyboy077, Uniontown, OH, USA
#103 Shelstrm, Lancaster, WI, USA
#104 Drude, North Port, FL, USA
#105 bschatz, West Hills, CA, USA
#106 RCDuffer, Valley Center, CA, USA
#107 capnpaul, Orillia, ON, Canada **
#108 p38nut, Indianapolis, IN, USA
#109 yoda64, Bloxon, VA, USA
#110 Jaybird, Hallowell, ME, USA
#111 mbnt, IL, USA
#112 Foodstick (Lance), Ankeny, IA, USA
#113 adec, Perthaustralra, Australia **
#114 Navy, Orange Park, FL, USA
#115 RD Jeff, Anchorage, AK, USA
#116 Mistral 12, Granbury, TX, USA
#117 JKEpps, Greenbelt, MD, USA
#118 FlyerInOKC, Okla, City, OK, USA
#119 PT19, Buna, TX, USA
#120 Jim Scott, ?
#121 Srecker, Erie, PA, USA
#122 bigbird3, Williamstown, VT, USA
#123 Monsour, Fisherville, KY, USA
#124 Marksp, Redmond, WA, USA
#125 Quidleywins , Kyneton Victoria, Australia**
#126 M.Casper (Michael), Perry, IO, USA
#127 Twin_Flyer (Bill), Westhampton Beach, NY, USA

Fair winds and happy flyin'
Rich

foodstick 08-04-2016 02:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Getting closer, still a lot to do, and some to re do !

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2175789http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2175790http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2175791http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2175792

FlyerInOKC 08-04-2016 06:38 PM

Looks great Foodstick but watch out for maniacal beagles flying dog houses!

foodstick 08-04-2016 06:58 PM

I always parachute drop dog bones when flying the Fokkers.. JUST IN CASE!

jwrich 08-05-2016 02:53 AM

Thanks Lance, we always need another Tri-plane in the air. You and Art can now tear up the sky.;)

Rich

jeffEE 08-05-2016 02:43 PM

Fly with no fear of dogs in Camels Food stick. We got your six covered!

jeffEE 09-11-2016 05:25 AM

Well. I just got back from my first ever "Dawn Patrol". It was held in Thorp Wisconsin. Very Wet day with rain and cross winds. But got flights in and met new people. The 1/3 scale triplane was awarded most scale and most realistic flight. Food stick, when are you going to have your bird flying at your home field? I will come down and we can get in a flight together. As well as this airplane looks in the air by itself, two of them together must be really great. Or we could all bring our Balsa USA planes to this cancer fund raiser event. Here is the RCUniverse link. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/even...y-erie-il.html I will be there, and it sounds like a great photo op. Thousands of Balsa USA planes all in a row. That would be awesome.:p

foodstick 09-11-2016 08:37 AM

I have been everywhere but the flying field lately, I have relatives in from Utah for almost two weeks that I am supposed to be keeping busy, and next weekend is a huge 3D fly at the field.. and we are hopefully getting a platform hoist soon to finish the high painting on the barn,and soffets and facia boards.. and its been real windy... I feel like I am in FULL excuse mode without even trying !

I did get my new prop on, balance changed, and bigger fuel tank in... oh yeah another excuse ;) the only vehicle I have that will haul the DR1 is at the farm full of painting supplies and equipment.

FlyerInOKC 09-12-2016 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by jeffEE (Post 12256256)
Well. I just got back from my first ever "Dawn Patrol". It was held in Thorp Wisconsin. Very Wet day with rain and cross winds. But got flights in and met new people. The 1/3 scale triplane was awarded most scale and most realistic flight. Food stick, when are you going to have your bird flying at your home field? I will come down and we can get in a flight together. As well as this airplane looks in the air by itself, two of them together must be really great. Or we could all bring our Balsa USA planes to this cancer fund raiser event. Here is the RCUniverse link. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/even...y-erie-il.html I will be there, and it sounds like a great photo op. Thousands of Balsa USA planes all in a row. That would be awesome.:p

So what you are saying is you had scale weather too?!

jeffEE 09-12-2016 12:43 PM

Yep scale weather. For Germany in fall. So true. Never thought of it that way. :rolleyes: