RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Another sig cub (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11638579-another-sig-cub.html)

fcf 04-29-2017 04:24 PM

Another sig cub

6 Attachment(s)
After a long thought two month thought I decided to build another Piper Cub. I have thought of a plan of approach to make a three peace wing. I haven't decided on if I will make a L-4 or just keep it as a J-3, I read a lot of forums out there that covers the build and got a lot of ideas for this build.
this week I worked on the lower half of the fuselage. during the build I had to make part due to the sig kit made two balsa sheets part f8 throw f10 from what I could tell out of two different type of balsa cuts one was softer that the other, so lucky I had some stiffer balsa sheets. scenes I am making a three piece wing I made some parts of the main frame formers out of basswood ply. hear are some pic of what I have so far

RagwingFan 04-30-2017 05:30 AM

Looks like the 1/4 Sig Cub. Great kit and great flying plane. I have built a few versions of that kit.

keep the pics coming

fcf 04-30-2017 11:55 AM

Yep It a good kit. I enjoyed building my first kit and rebuilding it into an L4 after I crashed it twice. I have planed to use a O.S. 91 four stroke but after reading a lot of other forums everyone seems to using a 120 or greater. I might do the same. Today I worked on the landing gear that came with the kit. then I realized that I had no gas for my torch so I used JB weld, don't know if going to hold up or not besides I am planning on getting Robart gear anyway.
I will post photos as I go a long.

do335a 04-30-2017 06:19 PM

Years ago I built the clipped wing version. The largest glow engines available at that time were the 1.20 size 4 stroke and the OS 1.08 2 stroke.

I saw a full span version flying with an early OS Gemini 120 twin 4 stroke and thought that the 120 4 stroke single would be OK as well since the twin seemed to be powerful enough for realistic flight.

However, I put a 1.08 2 stroke into mine. That provided good power, even on floats. In fact, it was more than enough. If I do another, I'd like to use an OS 1.60 FX 2 stroke single since I'd like a bit more power than what I had with the 1.08 and I don't want the weight of a gasoline engine.

Definitely a great kit and a wonderful flyer. Lots of building turns out a really tough airframe.

fcf 05-02-2017 09:47 AM

Although the kit calls for a .60 to 90 2 stroke I think I am going to invest in a 120 myself . I have a Super tiger on the L4 that I have and it work ok got it off the ground anyway not much more that that. but than I just want to fly scale and circles. I have bee looking at 120's but don't know to much about 4 strokes.

fcf 05-07-2017 05:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
well the build is going slow. my graduate this week and a lot of activities with the end of the school tear. I have cut the ribs out for the center section out of light ply. I also started the next step in completing the fuselage. I had to be careful Sig plans are a little off so instead of following the direction I had to do it by sight
When attaching the tail to gather the plans call for you to pin the fuse down on the plans to insure a true curve of the fuselage. That's not so true. I remember having the same problem with the first sig cub.

fcf 05-16-2017 08:02 AM

Well its been a long week, my son had finally graduated from school, How time flies. well I have not done much after cutting the ribs for the center wing. using 5/8 ply cutting three ribs and placing them together leaving the middle one short to insert the 440 rod for support . after welding the front susport rod to plane making the cut to support the ribs. I haven't glued anything just fitted it for now, I well post pic's later

fcf 05-17-2017 05:25 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of what I have done so far.

fcf 05-17-2017 05:38 PM

8 Attachment(s)
My father gave me his silk he got years ago for covering old school style. it about 25 yard or more of fine silk on the roll. over the past weekend I complete the rudder and elevator to plan. I had a little dope left over so I tried luck using the silk not as hard as I thought. I also used stixit which it worked ok also.

fcf 05-21-2017 07:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did work on the build , this week end I wanted to go out and fly, so I tried to get the old bird started but couldn't get the old bird started so with the help of a friend we got the old Super tiger started then I had problems with the servos in the ailerons and batteries just did quit go as planed but I did get a chance to make it to the field not much fun watching but I still had a good time. and I was able to to mess around with the new Spektrum radio. I get it because I thought I was going to fly helicopters and was told a Spectrum is a good one that. sense I broke my futaba while I was moving. I have been into Futabas sense I started in RC both cars and planes. I don't know much about a spectrum radio any one who have read this and have a spectrum what do you thank about it or should I go back to futaba.

cubcrasher 05-22-2017 05:24 PM

Go back to Futaba. Put a 617 receiver in it and enjoy
trouble free flying.

fcf 05-25-2017 03:54 PM

Cubcrasher. I am really thinking about it

fcf 06-03-2017 05:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well its been a while. I had some down time and worked on the kit a little, I have build some of the wings and worked od the wing mount on the fuselage. Here some pic's of what I have done so fare

cubcrasher 06-04-2017 01:42 AM

Keep up the good work, gonna be a good flyer.

fcf 06-10-2017 03:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Its been kind of slow this week. I worked on the construction of the fuselage some. I been jumping around on the build instead of following the plans some areas I had to but other I just want to go somewhere else. wright now I am at a stand still, I the point of the build and is undecided if I want to keep it as a J3 or convert it into a L4 and build the green house

cubcrasher 06-10-2017 10:43 AM

I like the J3 with wheel pants. I've got a clipped wing kit on the shelf that I'm
gonna put pants on. Finishing up a Goldberg kit that I converted to Super Cub.
I have a Hangar 9 Super Cub that I am recovering with fabric to finish up next.

fcf 06-16-2017 09:56 AM

Cubcrasher.
I decided to keep building the J3 so far I haven't done much but it coming along slowly. I well up date with some photos later. How ever I have to go back and redue the fuslarge as I was building I kept it facing to the letf and now the frame work is whorp to the left so that where I am now

spaceworm 06-16-2017 10:06 AM

Sig clipped wing 1/4 Cub wing struts.

I got a clipped wing already built and covered at our swap meet. I have built and flown the FW version. I need the strut detail for the CW struts. Could you provide the critical dimensions that are different from the full wing struts? Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Richard Sig BH 187

cubcrasher 06-17-2017 05:34 PM

Hey Worm,
I've got an extra set of plans if you need them. Shoot me a pm with
your address and I'll mail em out.

fcf 06-21-2017 08:06 PM

8 Attachment(s)
In the last few days I have done some work. I am working on the cabin and servo tray here are so pic's

fcf 06-21-2017 08:13 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I got the cargo tray from a piper I took a photo of when I went to the airport. some had one they are restoring

fcf 06-21-2017 08:25 PM

8 Attachment(s)
here is my idea for the cargo space

cubcrasher 06-25-2017 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by spaceworm (Post 12344954)
I got a clipped wing already built and covered at our swap meet. I have built and flown the FW version. I need the strut detail for the CW struts. Could you provide the critical dimensions that are different from the full wing struts? Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Richard Sig BH 187

Got em ready to mail out tomorrow. A nice little touch also is a Hangar 9 1/4 scale
insterment panel, trim it to fit. Not bad for $14.99.

Leroy Gardner 06-29-2017 05:50 PM

Where are your rear window posts, I wouldn't hurt to beef them up some, they don't effect the green house of the L-4 and your going to have them in there anyway for wing support.

Leroy

fcf 07-01-2017 12:00 PM

ended
for now