RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig kougar Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11642233-sig-kougar-build.html)

442dave 10-11-2017 04:36 PM

Sig kougar Build

After a handful of arf's I was wanting something more fun to build and have decided to get into kits. Also some of my favorite planes are only available in kits. I really like the sig (kougar,kobra, and king kobra) kits. I went with the kougar because I already have a 55ax and all the servos I would need for this aircraft.

442dave 10-11-2017 04:58 PM

Sig kougar Build

I started the build last Friday October 6th. I have the wings sheeted and leadin edges glued on. Next I gotta finish sanding and contouring the wings.

442dave 10-11-2017 05:35 PM

Wing progress

6 Attachment(s)
Here is the progress on the wings

carlgrover 10-12-2017 09:44 AM

Looking good. I built one years ago and flew it for a long time before some idiot buried it in the dirt. Once you get yours done and flying, sneak the CG back a little at a time til you hit the sweet spot. The Kougar really will land at a crawl just like it says on the kit box if you have the CG back slightly.

I've got a second kit waiting to be built one of these days.

carl

RICKSTUBBZ 10-12-2017 01:56 PM

I'll be watching your build..
The Kougar sure make a nice airplane
Give us all the details and good luck......

Hydro Junkie 10-12-2017 03:58 PM

I think I'd prefer the Kobra. I like a "built up" wing. That said, I like what I see so far on your build

Mrotar 10-13-2017 05:59 AM

442dave
I'll be watching your build. I got a partial kit from an estate sale from an club member that passed away. I got a fuselage kit from Sig and am at the point if fitting the turtle deck to the fuselage. I dont have the plastic fuselage top, so im making it out of balsa.

442dave 10-13-2017 01:45 PM

Almost finished wings

12 Attachment(s)
I pretty much finished the wings. I coated the wings with a coat of epoxy mixed with acetone for extra strength. Once dry I'll very lightly sand by hand to make it extra smooth. All leading edges have been sanded and shaped. I'm happy with the results. The only mess up was on the wing tip on the right wing. I gouged it bad but I glued some spare balsa on the gouge. Once dry I will sand and contour it and fill any gaps with balsa filler.

442dave 10-14-2017 03:36 PM

Sig kougar Fusealage

8 Attachment(s)
I got alot of work done today. I cut out and sanded all the tail surfaces. The kougars tail surfaces are all solid balsa. I cut out the fuselage parts and completed a good part of the construction.

jollyroger 10-14-2017 04:33 PM

Looking very well done so far. when I built mine I sheeted the wings with wing sheeting from BUSA. it was 10 " wide and all I had to do was a tad bit more for the root and I used 3M 77 spray adhesive to glue the skins on. Light coat only lads. Too much and you have a puddle of foam.
I ended up shaping and sanding the leading edges and wing tips outside in the back yard which ended up looking like a winter storm had hit what with all the shavings and balsa dust on the back lawn. LOL!
I covered mine in aluminum Ultracote which is not a good color as it makes the plane disappear into the background , sorta like Romulan cloaking device. Do not use aluminum color film covering.
Mine is powered by a Scorpion 3026-10 outrunner. Originally using 16 round cells and 10X7 prop, flew a bit heavy until I switched to Lipos, using a 5S pack it went like snake, actually a bit too fast for my taste and nerves. I now use a 4S pack and 11X5.5 APCE prop which is fast enough for me.
Bring it in under power, do not let it glide in and keep the nose up a tad, just like landing a jet.....land it on the mains first it is happier that way.
I may recover it sometime when I get the urge. Maybe in a Red baron type covering job. Who knows?
You will love flying this plane.

442dave 10-15-2017 09:20 AM

Thanks Jolly Roger. Thanks for the advise on not using aluminium colored covering. I haven't yet decided on what color to do mine. I figured I have about another month to decide haha.

442dave 10-17-2017 09:18 AM

Fuselage Progress

2 Attachment(s)
I epoxied down the plywood reinforcements near the wing area, and started epoxieing in the fuselage ribs. I also did some small things that you can't really tell in pictures. Now I gotta let the glue totally dry. Once it's dry I need to set the fuselage on its sides and start connecting the halves.

442dave 10-18-2017 12:06 PM

Fuselage Progress

6 Attachment(s)
Got alot done today. I went ahead and epoxied the wheel blocks into the wing. I had do excavate foam from the wing to make the blocks flush. I sanded the edges of the fuselage to make it smooth to be able to glue the top and bottom on to the fuselage. I glued in all the supports and held it in place with pins and masking tape. It all going pretty smooth so far.

442dave 10-20-2017 12:14 PM

Fuselage Progress

4 Attachment(s)
Ok so today I sheeted the bottom of the fuselage with balsa. And I epoxied in the hunk of wood behind the firewall. Once it is all dry I'll sand and shape the bottom. Right now it's pretty square, it has to be sanded to a nice rounded shape! I'm excited to get to that! I'll take my time and make it nice!

442dave 10-20-2017 12:18 PM

Stabilizer

6 Attachment(s)
Also today I epoxied together the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces.

RICKSTUBBZ 10-21-2017 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by 442dave (Post 12376833)
Also today I epoxied together the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces.

Looking good so far. I forgot how solid this design is. Makes for one tough airplane.
I never did like those landing gear blocks in foam like that. Always seems to be the first thing to fail under normal wear and tear.
But hey, that design has been used for decades.

Did you really use "EPOXY" to glue the stab and vertical fin sheets together?
That will be fun to sand.
Good old fashion wood glue would be great for those.
I reckon maybe you intend to coat them with epoxy like you did the wing skins? That will even things up and allow you to sand smooth and flat.

Are you going to use the original single servo design for ailerons?

442dave 10-21-2017 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ (Post 12376990)
Looking good so far. I forgot how solid this design is. Makes for one tough airplane.
I never did like those landing gear blocks in foam like that. Always seems to be the first thing to fail under normal wear and tear.
But hey, that design has been used for decades.

Did you really use "EPOXY" to glue the stab and vertical fin sheets together?
That will be fun to sand.
Good old fashion wood glue would be great for those.
I reckon maybe you intend to coat them with epoxy like you did the wing skins? That will even things up and allow you to sand smooth and flat.

Are you going to use the original single servo design for ailerons?

Haha I did use epoxy for the tail surfaces, but I am going to coat them. I'm not to worried about extra weight. I am going with the single aileron servo. But I am using a high torque servo. I did the same thing with a kaos I had and i liked its performance. And as far as the landing gear blocks coming out, i better just grease my landings (easier said than done haha)

442dave 10-22-2017 12:08 PM

Wings

4 Attachment(s)
Today I epoxied the wing halves together. I deviated from the directions and installed a 12 inch aluminium spar through the wings. I used gorrila glue on the spar so that the glue expands into the foam to make it snug. It looks pretty square and flush I'm happy with the results. Once it is totally dry I will sand the leading edges a bit more just to make sure both halves are totally even.

flyboy2610 10-22-2017 12:27 PM

Looks good from here!

carlgrover 10-27-2017 09:53 AM

Kougars build up pretty quick. You'll have it in the air in no time. I have a kit on the shelf waiting for the right time to get started.

carl

442dave 10-27-2017 01:21 PM

3 weeks in

6 Attachment(s)
I hope so Carl. I'm 3 weeks into the build. I had a slower week of building. But made some progress. I cleaned up the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces and put on a mix of epoxy and acetone. I heard that's a weeker point on the Kougar. Also I did some work on the wing. The wing has alot of smaller things needed to be done once it's built. I intsalled the firewall also. I predrilled all the necessary wholes into the firewall.

thailazer 10-27-2017 05:54 PM

Good looking build and good photos! Will be riding along. Never built a Kougar but sure like the looks of them.

RICKSTUBBZ 10-28-2017 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 442dave (Post 12377367)
Today I epoxied the wing halves together. I deviated from the directions and installed a 12 inch aluminium spar through the wings............................................. ..

I sure would have liked to see the details as to where and how you worked that aluminum spar in.
Was it square tubing, round tubing, flat bar?

That expanding urethane glue is a trip to work with.
I have grown comfortable with loving to hate it....But it works great for the right applications.

442dave 10-28-2017 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ (Post 12378878)
I sure would have liked to see the details as to where and how you worked that aluminum spar in.
Was it square tubing, round tubing, flat bar?

That expanding urethane glue is a trip to work with.
I have grown comfortable with loving to hate it....But it works great for the right applications.

It was a cylindrical hollow tube. It felt weightless. All I did was heat the ends of the tube and then pushed it throuh the foam pretty easy. The only issue was matching the wing halves together. Because of the dihedral in the wing I had to really take my time lining the halves up. Yeah I don't use urethane glue often. But it's perfect for certain things like this.

442dave 10-28-2017 05:05 PM

Wing mounts

2 Attachment(s)
Today I installed the wing mounts. I also sanded the wing cradle so the wings mount flush.