RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Need four star 60 fuselage dimensions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1871806-need-four-star-60-fuselage-dimensions.html)

rjbranchii 06-03-2004 10:06 PM

Need four star 60 fuselage dimensions

I have ordered a Sig four star 60 arf. I know this is the kit forum but bear with me. I am going to cowl it with a side mounted motor and a pitts style muffler. Unfortunately, my nearest hobby shop is a 2 hour plus round trip. Can someone give me the dimensions of the firewall (heighth and width) and the position on the firewall that the centerline of the prop shaft is located at. My guess is you kit builders can access that kind of info easier than the arf group can. If I can find a plastic or fiberglass cowling at the hobby shop on my trip there saturday that I can modify I'll be able to get it. If not I am thinking of a Cap 232 style cowling that I'll either build up in balsa or create myself in fiberglass. Your quick help would be appreciated. ... I know why not just scratch build the whole thing... I left control line aerobatics because of all the hours of scratch building. I just can't see not cowling an engine.

thanks,

bob branch
Harsens Island, MI

Irish R.Seer 06-04-2004 05:41 AM

RE: Need four star 60 fuselage dimensions

The firewall dimensions are height at centre line 4 5/8", width at centre line 3 3/4" and the thrust line is 2 11/16" from the bottom. Good luck with your Four-Star 60.
Bill

leftnut 06-04-2004 06:28 PM

water pitcher or 3 liter soda bottle??

you just cut the front off.
you'll get a cowl that'll blend with the plane
glue foam to the front and shape the foam cowl the way you want
fiber glass and ca or epoxy over the shaped foam.
after the glass cured ..dig out the foam
fill, trim, and paint.
make wheel pants while you're it.

i also belive the cowl to the great plane Extra .40 kit will
fit and blend perfect . i tried fitting it when i was building these two planes.

mobi 06-04-2004 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw your post regarding the Four Star 60. I just finished building one and thought you might like to take a look the finished product for some ideas. It got a nose job, canopy was chopped in half and turned around, turtle deck was sheeted and fin was modified. I also added wing tips to dress it up a little more. It is covered with Koverall and painted with Insignia blue dope. What do you think?

I don't know if you have all the information and plans for this kit but I scan all my plans (full size) and have them stored in acrobat files in case I need to make additional parts or do repairs.

I can forward any part if you require it.

I see you’re from Harsens Islands. I located across the lake in Windsor. Ont. Where do you fly?

Ted

JimTrainor 06-04-2004 10:31 PM

Looks great!

How many coats of dope did you use?

I'd like to do a 120 like that.

rjbranchii 06-05-2004 09:06 AM

Thanks guys for the help. Ted that is a real nice job! Brings back my memories of competative CL stunt. Unfortunately, also brings back memories of all the work! Nice job.

bob branch