RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Dragon Lady ARC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1876520-dragon-lady-arc.html)

SAE1965 06-05-2004 10:46 PM

Dragon Lady ARC

Picked up a Model Tech Drgaon Lady Almost Ready To Cover (not an ARF) at an auction of a defunct hobby shop a couple weeks ago. Question I have is has anyone built this model and what did you use for a cowl?? The kit I have doesn't have a cowl or wheel pants and provides no info on manufacturers of such for the model. All searches on the net have proven pretty much fruitless. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for any help!

Scott

jgraham10 06-05-2004 11:30 PM

RE: Dragon Lady ARC

Model Tech which is also known as Global makes a ARF of the Dragon Lady now which is a sixty size airplane. The cowl on the ARF may work for the ARC here is a link for
replacement parts of the ARF. Might also contact them and see if they happen to have any parts for the ARC version.
[link=http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/gallery/120084.asp]Dragon Cowl[/link]
I used to own a Dragon Lady ARF and it was a sweet airplane to fly, from what I have read the ARC is just as nice. Might also do a search on the ARF fourm for info about the Lady.
John

SAE1965 06-05-2004 11:34 PM

Cool! Thanks!!! I will check out the site and see if they also have the wheel pants available. The instructions in my kit only list Hong Kong addresses, lol. It MUST be an old kit! :)

Scott

pilotkelowna 06-05-2004 11:40 PM

I have an unbuilt Dragon Lady ARC which I picked up on the internet a few months ago. The kit comes with a glass cowl and wheel pants - guess yours was removed from the box before you purchased it. The ARF cowl should fit - as far as I know the planes are the same, but Global Hobby can confirm that. We have 3 guys in our club that fly the ARC version, and all are sweet flyers.
Here's a good construction article - http://www.bumpygreen.co.uk/Reviews/...Dragonlady.php

Brian

SAE1965 06-05-2004 11:46 PM

I don't think the cowl and wheel pants were ever with my kit, it says in the directions that they are not included and are optional equipment. I think this may be a very early version of the kit, the guy that owned the shop accumulated stuff for like 20 years or more, there were well over 300 kits and about 60 assmebled airplanes at the auction with wagon loads of R/C stuff, plastic models, rockets, etc. I did also get a good deal on a radio there, Hitec Prism 7 for $65. :)

SAE1965 06-06-2004 12:28 AM

I'm sorry, I was wrong, I went and got the "advertisement" folder that came with the model showing the other planes they made at the time. On the front is a pic of the kit I have and the specs, it DOES show a cowl and wheel pants in the kit layout. The box was opened, so it is possible they were removed. Oh well, I got one heck of a deal on the plane ($30, box had water damage and everyone was affraid to bid on it, guess they didn't know all the parts were sealed in plastic) so I can afford to buy the cowl and wheel pants. :)

Scott

pilotkelowna 06-06-2004 11:51 AM

Scott:

Under $100 for a plane like this and a radio is one sweet deal !!! All the fellows here have put the aileron servos in each wingpanel to reduce slop. as per the article I posted above. Two are flying with Saito 90's, one a Zenoah G23, and I'm using a TT 120 Pro. Plan to start mine in the next few weeks.

Brian

SAE1965 06-06-2004 12:31 PM

I got out the instructions for the kit today, it says in them that the wheel pants and cowl are not in the kit even though they are shown in that other pic of the kit, hmm. No matter, will order them Monday from the website you guys providied (thanks again by the way! :)). I have a Super Tigre .90 that I got at that same auction ($60) that I am going to use on the plane for now, it looks like it was run-in but not used much (REALLY good compression). One guy commented at the auction that he had the same plane with a .90 on it and the vertical performance of the plane was somewhat lacking. I guess if a .90 won't cut it then next year I can get a 1.20 and put on it. He also said to use a small hole saw and put "lightening holes" in the wings with it to aid in the aerobatic performance. I would also like to put smoke on the plane so if anyone knows of a company that makes a smoke system for the ST .90 please let me know (tried T. Hobbies, not much listed there for older engines).

Good point about the ailerons, using double servos (2 differnent channels) would also allow me to use them as flaps using programing on my radio if I wanted. :) Happy flying!

Scott

SAE1965 06-06-2004 12:46 PM

Just found a pitts style smoke muffler on the slimline website for $90, not cheap but if it works then it's worth it. I liked that artical you posted about the plane (although the amount of weight added to the back is unreal), any idea how he cut and applied the "scalloping" on the wings, fin, and stabalizer? I like the look, but using Monocote to do that looks like a challenge! I'm thinking of using coverite to do my plane (keeping in line with the "barnstormer" image of the plane).

Scott

SAE1965 06-06-2004 01:05 PM

While reviewing the artical you posted the link to I noticed that the gentleman used an ABS cover to hide the servos in each wing and did not using covering over the top of them? I'm sure this would be prudent from a maintinence standpoint. My question would be where would one get such a cover and attach it in a manner as to not affect flight or detract fromt the finished look of the model?

Scott

pilotkelowna 06-06-2004 02:47 PM

The fellow in England was using a Zenoah for power - since the gassers are much heavier than glow, some lead in the tail is usually necessary. Those servo covers I have seen before in the English model mags - an internet search didn't turn up anything, but you might email the editor of the article and see where they may be available. My ARC instructions show lightening cut-outs in the wing ( about 6" square ) - if you have older instructions that don't show lightening holes, just PM me and I'll mail you what I have.

Brian

SAE1965 06-06-2004 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info. My instructions do show the holes for the wings, square as yours is. I was thinking I may just use a 2" or 3" hole saw to cut the holes, holding the wing down tight on a board and taping the bottom side to prevent splintering of the balsa. I don't want to weaken the wings too much though. I will see if I can find those servo covers, otherwise I will just cover over the servos after adjustments are made, if need be the hole can be opened and then recovered without much notice. I plan to do a lot aerobatic flying with the model so I think the advice about 2 wing servos is prudent.

Can anyone comment on the vertical performance of the model with both .90 and 1.20 engines??

Scott

pilotkelowna 06-06-2004 05:08 PM

Here's a link for some servo covers/mounts - 3rd item down - they fit standard servos.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servomount.htm.

If you use a hole saw and cut only till the centre drill comes through the other side, then turn the wing over and cut from the other side, you'll get far less splintering of the balsa.

SAE1965 06-06-2004 06:04 PM

What a cool product! I assume when using the servo like this one would use a regular control horn on the aileron or is it better to use wire as usual and then shortened to use with this method?

Scott

h8w8n 06-07-2004 07:37 AM

I beleive Stans or Fiberglass Specialties sells fiber glass cowls and pants for the Dragon Lady. I have the old ARC kit and it did come with the cowl and pants but it's probably 6 years old.
Since it's an open cockpit plane I may put a radial cowl on mine so it looks like an old racer.......If I ever get around to building it:eek:

SAE1965 06-07-2004 11:33 AM

Checked out the sites, Stan's has the cowl, didn't see it on the other site. Same price as the one on the Global site, just no paint. The radial cowl sounds cool, but since the fuselage isn't round at the front I'm wondering how it would look on there.

Scott