RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Wing Tube question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1897051-wing-tube-question.html)

mj147 06-12-2004 09:08 PM

Wing Tube question

Hello folks,
These past few weeks Ive been trying to complete my first kit, The Sig Somethin' Extra. Its been a super easy kit to put together but...
Well I made the mistake of not reading the manual and started to cut the female wing tube with out first removing the aluminum tube that was inserted in it :(
I cut thru maybe 1/4 thru when I noticed the metal shavings. I would rather replace this tube since the cut is right on the wing/fuse joint and may pose a structural issue.
I have been looking at my LHS and hardware shops but could not find a similar 7/8 in. dia aluminum tube. Can this tube be ordered separately?
I have been able to locate a 7/8 in. wooden dowel to fit, will this be an adequate replacement?

I would appreciate any ideas or info on replacing this tube

thx

mj147

jlchapman 06-12-2004 09:41 PM

RE: Wing Tube question

call Sig they will sell you what you need.

JC

Glenn_O 06-12-2004 09:55 PM

You should be able to order a new tube separately, don't use a wood dowel or the tube you cut. Sig list a 15-1/4 INCH ALUM WING JOINER TUBE for $10.25 it is part #SIGRPAT276, I'm not sure if this is the correct one for your Somethin' Extra or not, check your manual and see if they list the part number.

They also list a 15-1/4 INCH ALUM WING JOINER TUBE FOR SOMETHIN EXTRA ARF Part #SIGRPAWJ76ARF for $19, not sure if it fits the kit or not though maybe Somethin Extra owners can chime in and let you know for sure. Any Sig dealer should be able to order it for you or you can order it directly from Sig's Website

bojangle 06-12-2004 10:09 PM

Sig is great in supplying spare parts. I also saw some threads on RCU about using carbon fiber rods for the SE. Might do a search.

Bob

mj147 06-12-2004 10:52 PM

Thanks folks for the speedy replies. Ill try Sig on getting a replacement part, then again that carbon fiber tube interests me aswell :)

ill check em both out

thx again

mj147

phread59 06-13-2004 06:03 PM

Try Gator RC. They sell all kinds of wing tubes. They specialize in pattern planes. But they should have tubes for you. BTW they have carbon fiber ones as well.

Mark Shuman

Kota_air 06-13-2004 09:15 PM

Be careful here. The wing joiner tube as SIG calls it comes in two different sizes. One for the ARF, which I have and is 16mm tube and a different size for the KIT. I went to a company that sells aluminum stock and they had inch size tubing but nothing in metric which is what I needed. Since you have the kit you might luck out and find it at a local aluminum distributor. If not, go to SIGS website and look for it under wing joiner tube. Save yourself some grief and get two, they bend easy and you never get then true again. Good Luck

Tired Old Man 06-13-2004 09:42 PM

Save yourself twice the grief and get 1 c/f tube. Tey bend a little to, but don't stay bent. Lighter, stronger, more durable, and more expensive.