RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Help With Motivation to Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1940707-help-motivation-build.html)

FreddytheFish 06-27-2004 09:27 PM

Help With Motivation to Build

Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been working on a building an electric sailplane for about 3 months now. My building started off really well and I had all of the flying surfaces put together really quickly. But then I hit a snag. A couple of pieces were missing from my kit and I had to send away to the manufacturer to get them. It took a couple of weeks to get them and in that time I lost most of my motivation to keep building. I've done little bits and pieces here and there but nothing on a consistant basis.

I was wondering if you all would share your advice and experience on how you get yourself motivated to build when you just REALLY don't feel like it.

Much appreciated,

Mike

MinnFlyer 06-27-2004 10:14 PM

RE: Help With Motivation to Build

First, this is a tough time of year to build. There are too many other fun things to do. What I do is make myself spend time in the shop. For me it's easy because the shop is the only place in my house where I can smoke, so I'll go down there for a cigarette, and there sits that plane I'm working on. So I'll browse through the manual while I'm smoking, and the next thing you know, I'm glueing this or sanding that.

If you don't smoke, maybe you could just read, but do it in the shop where the plane is sitting right there looking at you (and vise versa).

Worse comes to worse, there will be lots of free time next winter.

dicknadine 06-28-2004 07:29 AM

morning. have felt the same way, but then I think about ALL of the things that the repairs to the house and shop need. right back to modeling with a smile. Honey, the screen door needs fixing, the cars not running -- makes weird noises, on and on. smile and get busy. dick

JNorton 06-28-2004 11:08 AM

Sometimes it's hard to get mototivated especially if it is an area of building we don't particularly like. What I do is to set aside a specific time or amount of time per night to work on the model, even as little as 30 minutes. I usually find if I keep plugging along the job is done before I know it.

John

hookedonrc 06-28-2004 11:32 AM

I just finished a kit that took over 1 year to complete. If you "REALLY" don't feel like it, it is real tough to get yourself back to building. I know the feeling well and just a couple of things that helped me keep going. Try to do something on it several times a week even if it is only 5 - 10 mintes each. Secondly, it helped me to keep picturing in my head what it would look like when it was fnished and I was flying it. Lastly, if you don't feel like it, just go with the flow. Sounds corny, but you don't want to force it. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, not drudgery. You'll know when you are ready. Like I said, I took over a year on my kit, and it turned out great, but I didn't set any hard and fast goals as to where I should be at what time.

Flightfreak777 06-28-2004 12:14 PM

go to a local flying vlub and sit there for about 5 hours on a nice day =D

~Matt

Mike in DC 06-28-2004 12:34 PM

You must have too big a workshop! If I stop in the middle of a project, it very quickly gets very aggravating to work around it. Another way to get back into it is to crash all your working models! (I don't recommend that route, but it has happened to me.)

Mostly, I like hooked's answer. If there are parts you don't like to do (e.g. I hate sanding), think of getting on to the points you do like. If you don't like any of building, then you might be better off with ARFs! (There's no shame in it, really.)

phread59 06-28-2004 08:44 PM

I just whittle away at it. 10 min here 20 there. Just do a little each day or so. Soon enough you will have her done.

Mark Shuman

jucava 06-28-2004 10:33 PM

If you don't feel like building then don't, walk away, sooner or later you will feel that bulding itch again; and you'll start getting anxious to get the plane in the air, and start thinking on your next proyects.

Darrinc 06-29-2004 04:25 AM

I try to do one thing a day. Eventually it gets built.

Or like others have said, go spend a day at the field and don't bring a airplane. You'll be in the shop in no time!

Taildrager-inactive 06-29-2004 06:31 PM

Get your lazy butt back in the shop and finish that bird.:D

Donnie7 06-29-2004 09:25 PM

I just start each day with getting something done planned the day before. It works for me. I did take 10 years off to build furniture for a hobby but now I have a house full of furnature and wondering why I got out of airplanes??? I am finishing a waco I started 10 years ago. Its a lot of work but I am about finished.
Donnie

bojangle 06-29-2004 10:12 PM

Yesterday I was very motivated to hinge the ailerons on my LT-40. Things went great. But tonight I'd rather just drink a couple beers and forget the thing. It's hard to stay motivated in the Summer with so much going on.

Right now I'm "studying" how to modify the windshield/hatch to be in one piece, so I can install or replace a very large tank in the future. I may stare at this thing for several days and not accomplish a thing, but when the inspiration hits, I'll get it done.

You are perfectly normal, don't worry about it.

Bob

dicknadine 06-29-2004 10:33 PM

spend time answering some of the posts on RCU. dick

bojangle 06-30-2004 11:05 PM

I'm working on my 100th plane, and frankly I'm sick of building, sanding, tweaking, covering, etc. My next plane may be an ARF. A friend ordered the Tower Trainer Mk II 40 ARF, only 69 bucks, quality was exceptional and flies great. I would categorize it as a "disposable" plane, fly the heck out of it and don't worry about the dings. I estimate to have over $125 and 80 plus hours in my LT, and it won't fly any better than that ARF. My wife asked why I spend so much time and money on kits when I can get a cheaper ARF.....I am beginning to question this also. I could have 2 ARFs for the price of my LT.

The first ARFs were pretty bad, but that has changed. I agree there is no shame to flying an ARF. For those with no inclination to build, they are the only way to go.

By the way, the Tower ARF is made of "hybrid" ply....a thin layer of balsa laminated to another thin layer of veneer. Light and strong, wonder when we will see this material in kits or in bulk for building?

Bob

dicknadine 07-01-2004 08:36 AM

its the same old question, we all have asked ourselves. whats cheaper,whats easier,whats best?? no answer, other than trying it. its all JUST what turns you on. today its kits, tomorrow, scratch build, next week its something else. Remember to have FUN doing it. dick

Skeletor 07-01-2004 02:38 PM

Bojangle,,, how dare you!!!:D Some time ago, I was having problems with several new people on my crew. They were not getting much done and it didn't seem to be getting any better no matter what I tried. I was telling my dad about it and he told me that people who procrastinate, sometimes do so because they don't know what to do or are afraid of making mistakes. (and then there are those that are just plain lazy) I put the guys with craftsmen that know their job and eventually they got it together.
I have ran into this myself while building a Nosen Mustang and know it to be true. Look at what stage of building you are at and research it here or talk to other people at the field about it. I have athsma and hate sanding so I carve as much as I dare then put on a mask and take it outside. I had sat looking at my wing for a week once, knowing I needed to shape the L.E. but had been avoiding sanding and didn't even realize why for a long time. Maby your a veteran builder and I am way off base, but I just thought I'd put in my 2c. Oh yea,,, about an ARF... naw, I can't say that here. hehehe.
James.

MrSteve09 07-07-2004 03:08 PM

Mike,...

I stumbled across your post a few days ago, not giving it much thought. However your delema has been on my mind the entire time. As I'm in the same situation now. There are a bunch of projects in the shop that I would really like to get to, but the evenings seem to be the laziest part of my day. I would rather sit in front of the television and fall asleep, ha!!

I recently got the bright idea to purchase a new CD to listen to. I assume you've got a radio, tape deck, or CD player in your shop?? Buying a new tape or CD from your favorite artist (or from anyone you'd like to try) to listen to may motivate both you and me to get back in the workshop.

I've also taken out books on tape at the library to listen to while working on my airplane. If the story is really good, I find myself anxious to go down stairs to listen to the story, working on the airplane becomes just something to do while listening, ha!!

Hope that helps. I'll let you know if I find myself in my workshop any time soon, ha!!

Signed,
Steve
Monson, Massachusetts

leftnut 07-07-2004 03:45 PM

i've been working on .40 patriot for the last 6 weeks or so.
i'm at the piont where i'm tired of it. i try to do something
to it everyday. i know if i put it away ,it'll be years to never
before it gets done. it's 80% completed.

i've notice, most if not all of my projects gets completed
if i push thourgh.

but just like everybody....i started working on my extra 300
that i havn't worked on in a year[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
there has to be sum'in in the glue if i'm not the only person
with a bunch of incomplete projects laying around.
***, the extra is an ARF.lol
i strip all the covering and re inforced the spar.

cloudancer03 07-08-2004 07:09 AM

lots of great suggestions!! I put a small tv down in the shop and have a coffee maker and that is relaxing and sets a good environment for me.Also I just have to go to the club field and see planes flying and smell the fuel exhaust and the yearning starts..realistically I have given in to arf's to the extent that there are certain building projects that are a little beyond my capabilites and have gone arf..but I love building kits too when you can find them but I stay within my building experience..

frankly summer is a very hard time to be motivated to build.I enjoy golf as much as flying.when the cold nights in fall come I am right back in my shop scheming what I am going to build .my goal is to have one ready and one in progress.. and yes just walk away for a short period and forget about it and suddendenly the urge will hit and just go for it..I have spent as little as 10 minutes building and then again I have started and worked well into the night coming up for air just long enough to eat .lol..

one last thought ..I was totally unmotivated last season and flying was well underway..I picked up a hobby magazine saw a great arf and went for it and rather than toil away I was ready in a week and the feeling I had was terrific as flying is what its all about and sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do..

*Crash*Johnson* 07-08-2004 02:26 PM

No worries I am exactly the same... I didn't renew my AMA till June.. have an uproar and a P-47 sitting on the bench waiting for some attention. Motivation is tough when you work 9-10 hours a day and are drained after you get home...

Have to agree with what was mostly said here.. it's when you get to that point when you either dont want to screw something up or have to do some serious sanding is when the motivation cuts out.

Funny though... probably when you ordered it, you couldn't wait for the Big Brown truck to show up...kinda like a 5 year old.... Tore open the box and had to examine it. You sure had motivation then huh?

If you have a wife, try this: Have her box it up and UPS it to you. Maybe that will re-motivate you :D

dicknadine 07-08-2004 06:12 PM

time has gone by. what is the status? have the other projects been completed ? have you picked up some modeling tools and started back on the plane.? heck- summer has just started and its flying time. dick NO, I havn't done much either, honey do's still on priority.

F-16WpnsTech 07-09-2004 08:30 PM

I've been married since the age of time, so I just go back in the house for 5-10 minutes and I'm "instantly" motivated for another 6 mos or so of solid build-time. Then it's back out to the dogho..., er, shop. Works for me anyway.

dicknadine 07-09-2004 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this a reply to ME. just dicovered that my modeling was overshadowed by an enchanting computor program titled " RCU" . now that I know how TO DO IT and also how NOT TO DO IT it's time to close down the computor and get my tail in gear and produce balsa dust. my wife says she wants the dinning room table back and I shud get back to the building shop and quit gripeing about lack of enthuiasm. so 1st thing in the am I will think about it. dick

Drexus 07-10-2004 08:12 AM

go to a local flying vlub and sit there for about 5 hours on a nice day =D
I like that one... ;)

For me, I have the worst time with completing a kit. Only because I have to build it 3 times (minimum) and the hard part comes in when I want to build a new one, but have to finnish the old one first. So I set myself a rule: I can't draw a single line (well, maybe a just a few :D) until I have the last design ready for testing. It gets really bad when It is a nice day, I want to go flying, and I'm stuck at my desk designing.

Knocking off a prototype takes maybe 3 days of design work, and 10 hours to build. Then the fun turns to work when your on the 3rd revision, and you have to make 22 changes to the manual and plans. Like right now... I'm supposed to be finishing a manual and loading some kits up to ship by 11:00, but I'm here typing and yaking.

For anyone who writes in here that they need motivation, I feel it's the responsibility for the rest of us all to keep asking what the status is on the kit... "the nagging wife" :D:D:D:D (Just kidding, don't send me letters)