RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   need advice (first kit) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1947380-need-advice-first-kit.html)

model pilot 14 06-29-2004 09:32 PM

need advice (first kit)

What should you place underneath the wax-paper covered plans to allow you to pin the pieces of wood to the plans. Like I said It is my first kit so I will probobly have lots of questions

thanks

nick

WacoOne 06-29-2004 09:42 PM

RE: need advice (first kit)

I don't put anything under mine. I just stick the pins into my worktable surface (which is a solid core door). I never see the pinholes. If you want, you could lay a sheet of 1/4" plywood if you can find one that lays flat, or a sheet of foam insulation.

saramos 06-29-2004 09:45 PM

One of the more economical choices would be a 2 foot by 4 foot sheet of 1 inch thick particle board that is then topped with a 2 foot by 4 foot acoustical ceiling tile. Use the type of ceiling tile that is solid, without the small holes in it. You can use spray adhesive to attach the tile to the particle board. You can then set this up on a sturdy table and have a serviceable build board. Other choices would be a luan door, commercially available build boards, like the ones from Great Planes, or you can go with a magnetic board like the one described on Caffeenman's website, airfieldmodels.com.

If you work with pins, get stainless steel Tee pushpins, available at your lhs, or online. I would also recommend a tee pin tool. These will save your fingers when pushing pins and will also give you leverage when removing pins.

Scott.

Patriot 06-30-2004 12:10 AM

The flat faced 2'x4' ceiling tiles are the easiest and cheapest. If you really want to use something made for it, try homosote. But personally, I would stick to ceiling tiles that are solid with no pin holes.

Patriot

kerklein2 06-30-2004 02:44 AM

Ceiling tiles work great. I got mine free cause there was an open box and there was no single tile price. Nice lady at Lowe's just said i could have it.

Hughes500E 06-30-2004 03:30 AM

I have found the ceiling tiles a bit soft for my likin' although many have no complaints!
I prefer a piece of drywall on top of my solid door that I use for building with :D

model pilot 14 06-30-2004 09:24 AM

The other problem is the fact that I am young and don't have a shop, I am working on a table in my basement and I Can't get the pins to go into the table it's too hard

majortom-RCU 06-30-2004 09:51 AM

OK Nick, we're trying to help here. Three guys have said "ceiling tile" and now I am the fourth to say ceiling tile is the perfect solution to your problem. Inexpensive, lightweight, pretty flat, easy to stick a pin into, easy to pull a pin out from, but holds the pin tight while the glue dries. This is not rock-hard ceramic tile, this is soft, lightweight, compressed fiberboard. It comes in pieces 2' x 4', half inch thick. If you have a long wing, put two tiles end to end and you have an eight foot building surface. Any building supply store will have it for a few bucks apiece. Put the white textured side down on your table, work with the brown unfinished side up.

spokman 06-30-2004 07:13 PM

Sheet rock is super cheap and super awesome! Get a sheet of 1/2" and you won't look back!