RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Fokker DRI Build Along (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2322815-fokker-dri-build-along.html)

mrbigg 01-28-2005 06:39 PM

RE: Fokker DRI Build Along

alex12-lets see some pics of that 1/3 scale!!!!!

Radial 01-28-2005 11:38 PM

Alex 12
Have a problem maybe you can help me with. Im also making a 1/3 scale DR-1. I used a full scale set of plans and have scaled down to 1/3. Im using a box spar with the original air foil. I cant come up with wing incedents. Have any input!

hsubman 01-31-2005 12:57 AM

Nice build so far! I built the Nick Ziroli Dr1 and quickly discovered the weak point of the plane. Don't know about the Balsa USA kit, but that full-flying rudder in the Ziroli design is only connected to the fuselage with 2 nylon hinges. Seems every time the plane nosed over and ended up on its back (which is quite often) on take-off and landing the top of the rudder smacked the runway and broke the hinges! I would suggest beefing it somehow.
I finally had to install 2 small brass piano type hinges I found at the home improvement store (Lowes). The last time the Fokker flipped over the hinges held, but the top of the rudder was slightly crushed. Hope you have better luck!

Happy Flying!
John

Chevelle 01-31-2005 01:44 PM

John,

The Balsa USA method looks to be very sturdy in the tail. There is a 4in 1/8in dia rod that exits the rudder and passes though an aluminum tube attached to the tail of the plane. That is the rotation point for the rudder and looks to be plenty beefy. The rudder itself is two laminated balsa layers making it 1/4 in thick. It too looks pretty beefy. If it is just a matter of being popped over on it's back, I think it should tolerate that without damage.

The rudder, elevator, and stab are all done. I just haven't had the chance to post the next installment with pictures. I should be able to do that within the week.

bps 02-05-2005 10:47 AM

Any new updates or pictures on the DR-1 projects? I am making progress with the fuse and it is looking good. I am torn on the electronics though. I had thought about using the Hitec system that I have but am begining to lean more to the Futaba 9C PCM super.

JEB:D

Chevelle 02-05-2005 12:48 PM

Yep. More to come in a couple of days. The tail is complete. Just have to put the pictures together and post. I working out the pull-pull arrangement, servo setup, and other hardware issues.

bps 02-05-2005 03:24 PM

I am interested in what everyone is doing on a tail skid. The BUSA wire is just so plain. More scale like would be interesting.

Chevelle 02-05-2005 05:26 PM

I agree. I will be sending in an order to Proctor for all the hardware that I need for the plane and part of that will be for the skid. There is a Pup build thread under the Warbird section that has some interesting approaches. I'll post pics when I get that far but it should be pretty scale like.

Swager 02-05-2005 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chevelle,

Looks like the build is going nice! Here is a photos of a DR1 I took at a local modeling forum. It is a beautiful plane!

joem423 02-09-2005 04:26 PM

I'm Building the Pup and have lot's of those "Not supposed to be there's". But everythings look good in the end. Very, Very nice work.....................

Flyin Woodbutcher 02-09-2005 06:03 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a 1/3 scale DR-1.

Kent

mrbigg 02-09-2005 07:20 PM

i'm pretty sure everyone scratchs builds one. there was talk about something from arizona models. can't remember what it was about.

CliffordH 02-09-2005 09:31 PM

Kent,

Arizona Model Aircrafters offers their triplane plans and kit in 1/3 scale. The plans I have seen for their 1/3 scale triplane are pretty much a copy of the plans for a reproduction triplane by a man named Redfern. Their plans showed the fuselage built from tubing and welded and I think they say JB Weld can be used also. They have a web site.

Ron Weiss also has a set of plans for a 1/3 scale triplane. His triplane is more the conventional model construction most are used to, fuselage framed from spruce. If I remember correctly his plans show a G62 for power. I don't know how to get in touch with Mr. Weiss but I think he used to advertise plans for a 1/3 scale Fleet and maybe a Fokker DVIII.

Hope this helps.

CliffordH 02-09-2005 09:47 PM

Kent,

I went and looked and PrecisionCutKits lists the Weiss DR1 and DVIII and this for his contact information.
Ron Weiss 20 Linda Place
Huntington New York 11743
(631) 427-7312

I might have to check on the DVIII plans myself!

Flyin Woodbutcher 02-10-2005 05:46 AM

Thanks Clifford

Kent

CliffordH 02-10-2005 11:23 AM

Glad I could knew the answer Kent. If you call Ron Weiss please get the prices for the DR1 and the DVIII plans and post them here.

Chevelle 02-12-2005 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PART 5...

Elevator

After dissappointing experiences with the upper wing mounting, it was nice to get back to making better progress. What the design of the upper wing mounting lacked, the rudder mounting is quite impressive. More about that shortly.

The stabilizer and elevator is conventional stick construction. No major difficulties here. You start with the stabilizer and when that is done, you use scrap balsa to serve as a spacer so that a constant gap is maintained between the elevator and the stabilizer.

The instructions suggest that you dry hinge (no glue) them together so that the edges will match when you sand them. I think this is a good idea but how you do it will depend on your hinging method. The kit comes with standard pinned flat hinges. These are nothing like the scale hinges but I didn't feel up to scratching together custom hinges. Too risky for me. (I'm sure the video of the elevator or an aileron falling off would be spectacular but I'll pass, thank you very much.)

I decided to use Robart hinges since they look a lot closer to scale than the flat hinges. Instead of dry mounting these, I dry mounted hinges that were a smaller diameter. Using the smaller diameter hinges means that even if the hole gets a little worn from putting them in and out a few times, I will still end up drilling a larger hole when the larger diameter hinges are permanently mounted.

Next, the Rudder...

Chevelle 02-12-2005 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
PART 6...

Rudder

The rudder on the DR1, like a lot of German planes of that era, is a full flying rudder. There is not vertical stabilizer. Since gound loops have been known to happen with full scale as well and models, keeping the flying rudder in one piece and attached to the plane can be a challenge. The rudder is made by laminating 1/8in thick sections to make up the 1/4in thick rudder outline. This laminated construction method is stronger than using thicker single pieces.

Since there is no vertical stabilizer to attach the rudder to, if hinges were attached at the end of fuselage, they wouldn't be very far apart. Even if that approach was strong enough for flying, it wouldn't take much to weaken or break a hinge from ground loops. Balsa USA came up with what I think is a strong yet simple solution. A metal rod is glued into a vertical brace in the rudder that extends along the portion of the rudder that would normally be hinged to the tail of the fuselage. An aluminum tube is glued to the end of the fuselage. The rudder is mounted by sliding the rod into the tube and secured with a collar at the bottom.

[i]Next, Fuel and Smoke!!...

bps 02-13-2005 07:26 AM

Nice pictures. The build thread information is intersting to read coming from another DR1- builder. I am about in the same place on the build as you.

Chevelle 02-13-2005 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well don't be bashful about sharing your thoughts and experiences. I'm sure I could benefit from your comments and suggestions.

Flyin Woodbutcher 02-13-2005 10:17 AM

How about a little help on engine selection for this DR1. I have a YS 140 and also a Quadra 35 , either one would work I think. Which would help for bal.? Does the plane need more or less weight in the front.

Thanks Kent

Chevelle 02-13-2005 10:49 AM

I am sure that either of those engines would be more than enough. The plane is rated for a G26 which is what I intend to put in it. That is what I have in my Pup and I am happy with it.

As far as weight goes, the few fellows that I've talked to say that it will most likely still need nose weight. I've never heard anyone say that they needed to add weight in the tail for any WWI plane.

I've been adding features to the plane, all forward of the CG, in hopes of reducing the need for much additional nose weight. I've added the smoke pump and battery in the forward most compartment which is also where the 1400 mAh battery receiver battery will go. The two side-by-side 16oz smoke oil and fuel tanks are also as far forward as they can be. I will be making up a suspension landing gear which will use a heavier axle. It will be a while before I know for certain if I need more weight in the nose.

mrbigg 02-13-2005 03:10 PM

chevelle, your right on about the nose weight. kent, use the quadra 35. you'll need the weight up there. mine with an os 1.60fx needed about a pound of lead. that's with every thing as close to the firewall as possible. i've seen one with a us 41 in it also. with either engine you'll be cruising at half throttle anyway. the quadra will definetly be cheaper on fuel.

Flyin Woodbutcher 02-13-2005 05:56 PM

alright I guess its the Q 35 ,its 22 years old but still runs great.

Thanks Kent

bps 02-13-2005 09:04 PM

That picture with the plane in the bare bones is encouraging. I just monted my center wing and will be tackling the plywood for the top of the fuse. Have you decided on a motor mount? I am wondering about the vibration mounts and thinking about going this way. Pull/pull cables for the rudder and elevator will help with tail lightness I hope. I also like the aluminum cowl and dummy engine.