RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Top Flite Nobler ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/259863-top-flite-nobler.html)

jdan 09-06-2002 10:34 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Has any one built one ? It looks like it would make a nice "throw it in the trunk and go" plane. Opinions .

Dangerous Dan 09-06-2002 11:06 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

the best throw in the trunk and go plane is airplane factorys Kruzer 40, It is ugly, but If you believe form follows function then it is beautiful, and you dont have to wory about the trunks heat killing the monocoat.

http://www.kombat40.com

Hisham 09-07-2002 03:56 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Excellent review in R/C Report mag.
Aug. 2002 Issue #193....
Interested email me.!
:cool:
Hisham

jdan 09-07-2002 08:21 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Thanks. I just picked up a copy.

Hisham 09-08-2002 06:25 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

how did you find the review??
H

Build-n-flyer-RCU 09-26-2002 08:04 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Could someone out there scan and e-mail the Nobler review for me? Or send me a copy? Or tell me how to get one?

I just purchased a Nobler kit and am very interested in the review, but I can't find anyone around here that carries the mag and its probably off the shelf by now! And the R/C Report website isn't much help.

Also, does anyone have any hints on the build? I still have a C/L Nobler that I built 25 years ago hanging around. Its been interesting comparing the new plans to the "original". The wing is almost identical but the fuse and tailfeathers are much different. And I am sure that few of my old Nobler building tricks will apply to this bird.

By the way, I am still pretty new to R/C, so any recommenations to help stability and ease of flying woud apply...

RCPROPSNAPPER 10-03-2002 10:19 PM

Nobler

I just test flew my Nobler this evening. I built it with flaps and
Spring air retracts. It was my first kit building effort in many years.
The building was fairly straight foward thanks to the excellent
instruction booklet provided by Top Flite. My only complaint is that
everything is such a damn tight fit. There isn't much room in the
fuselage and I had to cut holes in the wing skin so the throttle
and rudder control arms would clear. I put an Enya 40 BB SS
engine on mine. Tonights flight was brief but I can say that the
airplane got off quickly and had no bad habits that I could see.
I had the elevator exponential set too high so I was porpoising
through the sky but I got it down in one piece. I guess I built
her straight because I didn't havre to trim and she took off straight as an arrow. You might also consider using 20 or 30%
exponential for the ailerons because they are also very responsive. I can't wait to ring her out next time I fly her. All
in all, I would say that the building was a fun experience and
it looks like the same will be said for the flying.

oceandiv 10-04-2002 04:02 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

One of these days i will start building mine.

Build-n-flyer-RCU 10-04-2002 07:07 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

RCPROPSNAPPER,

Keep us informed as you "wring her out"! Did you build it with functional flaps? Coupled or independent servos?

I haven't quite decided how to do mine yet. Would love retracts but we fly off grass..

RCPROPSNAPPER 10-05-2002 02:41 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Buid-n-Flyer,

I built mine with functional flaps according to the plans. The flap
panels are joined by a joiner wire and are driven by one servo.
Mine are functional for takeoffs and landings but some people
use computer radio mixing and link them to the elevators. Another
thing worth mentioning,we have four club members here who
have built Noblers and all have had to add weight to the nose to
make the CG work. As for the retracts, we also fly off of a well
groomed grass field. I just couldn't resist them but I think the
SpringAirs should hold up. I will keep you posted on future
flights.

andy215 11-19-2002 12:14 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

top flight nobler?

after learing to fly this spring it was the first kit I've ever built and the third plane to fly. with flaps and fixed landing gear ( I also fly off of grass) it seems to fly very nice with a thunder tiger 46 pro. but keep in mind that I am still new to rc aircraft

lnorris 11-19-2002 07:33 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Boy this is good to hear. I thought I was the only one who had this bird.

I'm building mine right now and I'm going to try and shoehorn in a YS 53... Don't know about the retracts (I fly off grass also) but flaps are a must.

Question for you all is, how much does yours weigh?

lnorris 11-20-2002 02:26 PM

No Four Stroke

FYI:

I measured last night and there isn't any way a four stroke is going to fit in this cowl. It's just too long with a rear carb. I'd have to move the firewall back about half an inch and then I wouldn't have room for the gas tank.

Guess I'll be going with an inverted two stroke. :rolleyes:

tailskid 11-20-2002 02:48 PM

Review

Excellent review in R/C Report mag.
Aug. 2002 Issue #193....
Interested email me.!

Hisham

If you call 256-539-3031 (M-Th) you can get copy of the article, or magazine.

Jerry

iFLYrc_Vic 11-20-2002 11:38 PM

Control line nobler

I had a Nobler that was converted from CL to RC. It flew a bit stange but manageble. Good to hear the TopFlite version flys well.

lnorris 11-22-2002 08:48 PM

Rudder

Since I'm still in the building stage, and since I've found most planes don't have enough rudder, I'm curious as to the effectiveness of the TF Nobler rudder.

Bascially should I just go ahead and extend it by 1/3 or is it enough (at least knife edge)?

andy215 11-25-2002 07:16 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Inorris

As for the weight the plane feels like it is made out of lead I don't like the instructions saying that you could use a low powered engine like an os 40 la. But the flying weight of mine was right around 5 3/4 lbs ready to fly

george look out for that tree!!

lnorris 11-25-2002 09:54 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

5.75 lbs?? Ouch. Ok, this thing IS a pig. And thatt is without retracts?

I'm going to have to start lightening it somehow. I mean, it's built like a tank (how many formers do you really need??)..

andy215 11-26-2002 03:04 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Inooris

That is right no retracts and the other day it found an oak at a new flying field so I'm building a new one. as far as how to lose weight it, may be how to put more power like you wanted to do in the first place (you may be able to do with out one or two turtle deck formers) but I thought it had plenty of power with a tt 46 it was faster than my four star with a 61 in it that I fly most of the time. I think that top flite made good engine recommendation in the instructions

george look out for that tree

Build-n-flyer-RCU 11-29-2002 02:02 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Nobody so far has said much yet about the build on this plane. I just finished one (ready to cover) and it came out very good. As a reference, I built a bunch of kits years ago, and just recently returned to the hobby and built an LT-40 and 4*. Here are my thoughts regarding the Nobler.

1. This is NOT a beginners kit and I would not recommend it to someone without building experience- lots of pieces and parts that must go on correctly. I threw the Sig kits together in a couple of weeks. This one took a while. Some specialized tools- zbend plyers, dremel, etc are almost a necessity. And my glass table and straight-edge were critical to getting all the sheeting cut right.

2. The instructions are very good which helps considerably. But the kit still requires some creativity- mounting of the flap servo, for example, is not detailed and requires a little thought.

3. This is a new kit and some of the parts are not cut quite right. I had to open up all the slots in the ribs for the main spars. The rear-most former on the turtle-deck was short and did not line up with the rest of the formers. The fuse sides extended about 1/8" below the bottom of the formers and had to be block-sanded down. None of this is a big problem if identified soon enough, but checking parts fit before gluing is important on this plane.

4. Everything in the fuse is tight. The good news is that my standard JR servos fit much better than the plans show. The bad news is that routing the servo wires in the small bay provided is tricky (unless you are not concerned with the wires tangling in the servo horns!). Also, I added a hatch in order to be able to get the battery in and out.

5. Joining the wings must be done carefully to get everything square! Again, this is not a beginners kit. I used an incidence meter to make sure I had it right.

6. Next step- covering. Getting my planned complex trim scheme right should be fun given all the compound curves. But it should turn out to be quite a nice-looking plane. By the way, my Nobler weighs 5.2 lbs fully rigged but not yet covered. I'm not sure how to get it much lighter. Maybe expanding all the lightening holes in the formers and wing ribs? Replacing the sheeting with lighter-grade balsa? Mini-servos would help if you are not concerned with the extra $$.

I still don't have a real feel for how it will fly- messages on the board haven't been too detailed (other than the Nobler is fast and sensitive to aileron controls). Lots of questions- just how maneuverable is it, do the flaps work well, is this plane subject to tip-stalling, how well-bahaved is it during landings, etc.

Hopefully I will get the answers first-hand sometime soon!

Buz_Bo 12-30-2002 03:21 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Does anyone have the plans for the original nobler. I have one that is 20years old and I put a new irvine 53 and radio in it. I flew it today and it was way nose heavy. Does anyone know where the CG is?

Build-n-flyer-RCU 12-30-2002 12:26 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Regarding the balance point, I don't know about the old RC Nobler but on the new one the recommended balance range is 3 to 4" from the leading edge where it enters the fuse. This puts the center of the balance range right behind the small spar at the end of the leading edge sheeting.

I checked my old 70's era C/L Nobler and it balances right behind the shear webbing where the leading edge sheeting ends, again where the wing enters the fuse. (The wing doesn't have spars). I don't have the plans for this plane anymore so I don't know what the recommended range is.

The wing shape and profile are almost identical for the two planes although the actual dimensions are slightly different. I would bet that the balance point on yours should be right behind the leading edge sheeting where it enters the fuse. I would set it up right at the edge of the sheeting, test and tune it in from there.

Hope this helps..

Buz_Bo 12-31-2002 12:25 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

I found the setting for the cg for the old version of the nobler on the topflite web site. as it turns out they recommend 6 to 7 inches starting at the hinge point at the rear of the wing. I had my battery located on top of the fuel tank and I have moved it right over where the aileron servo is mounted. This put my CG right at 6.25" from the hinge point. I used to have an OS Max 45FSR in it and I put a new Irvine 53. I never weighed both engines but I'm sure the Irvine with the stock muffler has to weigh 4 to 5oz more than the os. I always had the battery over the fuel tank before and the CG was perfect. The Irvine kicks ass compared to the old os max.

grippm 12-31-2002 05:47 PM

Top Flite Nobler ??

Just finished building mine. Definatly alot of creativity in the build process. As noted, it is cramped in the servo bay. Found I had to do alot of sanding and fitting to keep everything off of each other. Also, don't know what I did wrong, but I purchased the "recomended" fuel tank a GP 10 oz. No way would that thing fit in the space provided. Some 8 oz's woudn't go either. Ended up with a 8 oz flex tank. If looks count, it should fly great, everything is true, and balances out exactly as planned (I pushed my OS 46 as far out on the mounts as it would go).

CHOCOFAN 01-06-2003 02:26 AM

Top Flite Nobler ??

almost finished with mine, the 10 oz. fuel tank they suggest in the manuel does'nt fit quiet well you gotta cut a little on the # 2 former.I'm fixing mine with individual servo flaps & pull pull rudder plus retracts. i built my wing as instructed in the manuel but when i joined it the #1 rib on the left wing was not flush with the other #1 rib from the right side but did a little creative thinking & fixed it quickly the wing built up nice & straight, on the alerions & flaps i added a little let see how she flies?