RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2886581-top-flite-1-7-p-51-build.html)

zope_pope 01-29-2011 02:36 PM

RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

1 Attachment(s)
I did build this guy while I've been away though.

saramos 01-29-2011 08:46 PM

Does it have door sequencing?;)

bluetomcat 01-30-2011 02:40 AM

Hi Guys

My last post was some time ago. I was waiting for my Lado tech electric retracts to come but unfortunatley they never did show up. I waited over a year and to this day I have not had my retracts eventhough I paid in full(waste of $200+).
Anyhow I had got really fed up of my build being on hold, maybe a blessing, e-flite brought out their electric versions for our size aircraft!
To date I have nearly finished the build with just the wing fairings to complete(which I keep putting off)
I originally installed Robart spring oleos and scale du-bro tyres.
One word of caution though....
Combined these are very heavy for the gear to opperate so I have changed the tyres for foam versions and used a 6v battery rather than a 4.8v battery. to which they work faultlessly. Hopefully I will be saying the same after my maiden landing! who knows!
I am quite surprised at the size of the model and am really pleased with the outcome to date.
Zope I would suggest keeping the posts as they are. For any new be can read it through your eyes as I and many others did.
I'm sorry to hear of your situation but keep your chin up mate.
Focus and priorotise and one day you will finish the model and it will have its maiden which it and most importantly YOU deserve.

stevenmax50 02-01-2011 04:53 PM

The only reason I decided to start a new build thread was the difficulty in reading 107 pages.  If you have a method of condensing the thread I think it would be a good idea.  BTW, I am still waiting to get an answer on the wheel wells.  Anyone know where to get prefab wheel wells?

rotccapt 02-10-2011 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys been a long time since i played with my bird due to the fact that i did not like the power i was getting from my gasoline converted saito 125. so i decided that my plane needed some new musle. so i started looking at the new dle 20 gasoline engine. it has been tested and produces the same if not more power than a saito 125 running on glow fuel. so i finally broke down and bought it and i think it will be a perfect match for this plane. so here are some pics of it. the dle 20 weighs the same as my gas converted saito so i will not have any balance problems.

stevenmax50 02-10-2011 06:15 PM

This is the 1/7 scale, right? Looks like a good fit. Any problems so far?

rotccapt 02-10-2011 06:41 PM

yes it is the 1/7th scale no problems as of yet i am still looking into muffler options i have not decided yet if i want to go with the j-tech compact pitts style muffler or the j-tech p-51 style pitts it is a modified version of the standard pitts so that it fits in the cowling without sticking out. i am toying with the p-51 modified version because i think it will produce a deeper tone since it has a larger can on it

Riddle4U 02-11-2011 01:47 AM

I don't know what this talk of "condensing a thread" is all about? You mean a thread author can just come in and wipe out everything they deam extraneous? Heck, I hope not! I won't participate on RCU if the wealth of information here is at the whim of a delete key. To anyone who complains about the length of a thread....stop posting!!! Beyond that, get used to reading, many in this great country still do that.;)

saramos 02-11-2011 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

The only reason I decided to start a new build thread was the difficulty in reading 107 pages. If you have a method of condensing the thread I think it would be a good idea. BTW, I am still waiting to get an answer on the wheel wells. Anyone know where to get prefab wheel wells?

My guess is that the reason no one has answered your question is because there is no source of prefab wheel wells for the 1/7 scale Top Flite P-51.

capriman 02-11-2011 08:10 AM

I did my tour of duty by reading all 108 pages, over several days. Has anyone had a problem with the elevator control "yoke" wearing the surfaces that it pivots on ? Mine has no sleeves or bushings to bear against the balsa, it just rubs against the balsa.

alohaore 04-02-2011 06:10 AM

I bought a 1/7 scale kit but it has no plans just the manual where do I get the plans?

SIX GUNS 04-02-2011 06:52 AM

alohaore, you can contact top flight and get a new set of plans look them up on the web

Riddle4U 04-03-2011 05:17 AM

In concurence, Top Flite has been excellent with me on parts. I had decals that were partially stuck to the plans on their original shipment with the kit. They didn't haggle with me and simply sent the particular decal sheet that was harmed (this some years after purchase). You can get the manual online or paper, and I am sure also plans shipped to you for a fair price. TF does well here in my experience! Hooray for proper business behavior! TF deserves thanks. -E

capriman 06-03-2011 10:45 PM

Has anybody done anything more with their planes.. ??? any first flights to report ??

OSUAV8R 06-06-2011 09:08 AM

I am glassing my fuselage now.. wing is done.. and I am going to paint it in Israeli Air Force Camo

see here
http://www.mission4today.com/uploads...g_sqn_1956.jpg

I will post pics of the wing and asap<br type="_moz"/>

bluetomcat 06-06-2011 11:36 AM

Guys
So glad this thread is back up and running. It feels like i've been building the plane all my life!
Well its nearly ready. I glassed the body and wings but decided to save time by using film to cover the control surfaces and painting them the same colour.
Its my own design is named after my partner(sad I know!!).
My only concern is the weight so decided to go with a super tiger 1.30fs. A beauty of an engine which I am hoping to run this weekend. Fingers crossed!

photos to follow

Christian

Mark2412 06-17-2011 11:00 AM

Hey guys. I just ordered my 1/7 scale p51. Few questions. I really want to do panel lines and rivets, but I emailed Top Flite and they said fiberglassing the plane is a bad idea. Too much weight. I also wanted to put flight metal on the plane, but Im not stuck on it. I guess my main question is how do I create panel lines and rivet without adding too much weight to the plane? I saw one website where a guy laid silk and dope over the plane and then put flight metal on top of that. The plane will be powered by a Saito 125, I was told the DLE 20cc wont fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dutchy50 06-17-2011 01:36 PM

I have built this plane, I completely covered the whole plane with 3/4 oz glass, wings, tail, fuselage even flaps, ailerons etc. put on an extra 5oz of weight buy doing this! I think it is worth it!
Covered it with Chrome Monocote.
Engine is DLE20cc
Regards
Dutchy50

Mark2412 06-17-2011 02:30 PM

Thanks Dutchy. So you were ably to get the DLE in there. Did you have to hack up the cowl to get it in? Got any pictures? How did it fly?

Mark2412 06-17-2011 05:19 PM

Any other thoughts on covering 1/7th scale with fiberglass?

rotccapt 06-17-2011 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics with the dle 20 in the cowling with a j-tech small pitts muffler. i have not flown her since the engine swap i hope to fly her soon

Mark2412 06-17-2011 07:49 PM

Thanks Rotccapt. Looks good. How did you cover your plane?

capriman 06-17-2011 08:17 PM

Ok I just got the notice of the latest reply by Mark2412, and at my house in Seattle it is 6-17-2011, 9:18 pm PST/daylight saving...look at the time and date stamp of Mark's post above mine...are we on Zulu time on this site ???

Mark2412 06-17-2011 08:30 PM

Well that's odd!

rotccapt 06-17-2011 09:21 PM

i used chrome monokote for the fuse, aluminum monokote for the wings and i used klass kote epoxy paint for the nose.

just as a note there are finished pics of my plane in this thread somewhere. in the pics i have a gasoline converted saito 125 on the nose but i was not happy with performance and did not want to tweak the motor to get the performance back that i lost in the conversion so i decided to swap to the dle. it actually fits better inside the cowl than the saito did and it should give me the performance a mustang should have.