RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   SIG Super Skybolt ABS T-Deck Repair Question (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/4610231-sig-super-skybolt-abs-t-deck-repair-question.html)

MarkInDixie 08-11-2006 10:45 AM

SIG Super Skybolt ABS T-Deck Repair Question

1 Attachment(s)
A couple years ago, I picked up an old Sig Skybolt that a guy just wanted to get out of his garage. Good deal, eh? Well, I've now become serious about getting her air-worthy. One thing I enjoy is taking an unwanted -or in some eyes, an ugly duckling- and fixing it up into something to be proud of. This aircraft is the old SIG version, and from what I've read and heard at the field, these are excellent fliers. One big negative-in my opinion- is that the kit was built using an ABS turtle deck. The ABS is flimsy and has a couple depressions in it that are very noticeable, see attached pics. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting dents/depressions out of the ABS? Also, any thoughts on reinforcing it to prevent future issues?

Mark

Deadstik 08-11-2006 03:31 PM

RE: SIG Super Skybolt ABS T-Deck Repair Question

Mark,

You are very much correct in that the Sig Skybolt is one of the best flying planes they ever kitted. The ABS turtledeck is a definite weak point in the kit but one that can be fixed. To repair the "dents" you need to pick up an auto body filler called "Icing". This is a white, polyester material that I do not think will adversly effect the ABS... Obviously, first try it on a small place... but.. Icing can be used to fill in any "dents" or damaged areas in the turtle deck. Then just Prime and paint and you're done.

I have a Skybolt hanging up that is over 24 years old. The first R/C plane that my future WIFE bought me in 1982..... It won a couple of big fun Fly contests and one pattern contest in Novice... but.. I still love it.... and have plans and a cowling and may one day make another one for IMAC work....

Have fun with yours... any questions, please ask or email me at carolinaaircraft@earthlink.net

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft

yel914 08-12-2006 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know access to that area is difficult, but I wonder if you could reach inside and prop out the dent sufficiently while adding fiber glass or epoxy to the inside to hold it in place. If not, repairng the dent from the outside may be the only option. Or you could fly her as is, and if the unimaginable happens, replace the ABS with balsa sheeting. Here's a pic of mine, scratched from plans-balsa turtle deck![img][/img]

Deadstik 08-12-2006 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yel,

Great Job on your plans built Skybolt.... I really like that blue/silver trim job... going to have to steal that!!!! I wanted to show you a picture of my 24 year old Skybolt.... and yes, it still looks just like the picture....Nice to hear we still have some builders...

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft

MarkInDixie 08-12-2006 03:40 PM

Thanks for the answers guys. Yel's suggestion got me thinking...I've discovered that my wife can get a gloved hand inside the fuselage, so I'm thinking of trying to have her hold a small block of wood against the dented area while I heat it with my heat gun. Maybe once it softens a bit, it will reshape. I've decided to do a complete re-covering job so if the present covering lifts while heating it, no biggie. I'll try that Icing stuff if it doesn't work out (great tip, by the way).

I know this is a little off my original question, but what are you using for power? I'm thinking of going with a SuperTigre G-90, with a Bisson pitts muffler. I think that'd be a good match, whatcha think? (I like to fly big round loops and smooth rolls, no 3-D here). Also, where do I set the CG on this girl. This is my first bipe, and I don't have plans and info on the web is very sparse. Thanks again.

Mark

yel914 08-13-2006 07:57 AM

Nice old Skybolt, Deadstk. For power on mine I have a ST .61. Plane is unflown at the moment but I'll try to get her in the air by fall. I made a couple of mods...I like access to the fuel tank, so the engine, firewall, fuel tank and throttle servo can all slide out as a unit once the cowl is removed. The other mod, Barbie's head turns with the rudder, I just couldn't resist!

LSP972 08-14-2006 03:54 PM

I've got one of these kits NIB. Tried to sell it, no joy, so I'll just build it one day.

I've already planned to NOT use that ABS top, and scratch out a wood turtle deck.

tukkus 08-14-2006 08:09 PM

i recently bought an old Sig Skybolt...it has a little hangar rash but that's an easy fix.... i'm going to mod the wing so i can have dual servos in the wing

I was wondering if a OS 46 FX(Pitts muffler) would be good enough for this plane.... i also have a K&B 61, YS 63, MDS 68, or a OS 91 I&II surpass, YS 1.10, YS 120 SF, YS 140L that i could use... i think the ys 140 would be fun :)

derferic 08-17-2006 02:09 PM

tukkus,

The Sig Skybolt was designed for a 60 class two-stroke engine. The 46 would fly it but I don't think you would be happy with the performance. You have four engines from the K&B 61 to the OS .91 Surpasses any of which would do very well. The larger four-strokes would be overkill.

I recently bought a Skybolt that had had a Saito 82 mounted. I plan to install a Magnum .91 FS.

Azcat59 08-18-2006 08:02 PM

The Sig Skybolts had a reputation out here in the desert of "melting" that ABS turtledeck if you left them in a hot car, or the sun for too long. I bought a partially started (and messed up) kit years ago for $10 and still intend to one day start it, but I will build up the turtledeck out of balsa. Most of the ones I saw some years back had sixty 2 cycles in them and flew very well with that power combination.

Clair