RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   GM Precision Sunbird (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/5475562-gm-precision-sunbird.html)

jrbmoto 08-04-2007 08:21 PM

RE: GM Precision Sunbird

I changed my mind on the covering, I decided that the fabric and paint was going to be to much work so I went back to my original plan and started covering my baby with Ultracoat......WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I know I'm going to offend some people but I really hate this stuff! It is really user friendly in that it is really rubbery and goes around corners well but the problem I'm having is that it is too transparent My color sceme is yellow and white and wherever I overlap the yellow over the white it stands out like a sore thumb! I've never had this problem with Monokote! I will never use this crap again!
-Johnny-

jrbmoto 08-12-2007 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I finished covering this morning. I still need to paint the engine compartment and the cockpit and do the final trimming on the canopy, but its getting there! I altered my color sceme slightly so that I would be overlapping the white over the yellow rather that the other way around. I was going to cover the entire fuse with yellow then add some white stripes but as I said in my last post, I didn't like the way the grain was showing through the Ultacoat, so I decided to make the top of the fuse white. I kinda like the way it came out. I have a polished aluminum spinner for her that should look *****en against the white. I just mocked up for a couple pics, the tail isn't glued up yet and the wheel pants aren't the ones I'm going to use. Last time I built a Sunbird, I built up a set of pants from balsa and covered them with monokote, I don't think I'm going to do that again! Way to much sanding and covering was a pain in the #!@*!! I will probably order up a set of fiberglass ones and paint them white.

jrbmoto 08-12-2007 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic

ptmac3 08-12-2007 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto.......I would be overlapping the white over the yellow rather that the other way around.........
Did you do that on the wing too? Overlapping the white over the yellow as it appears in the picture?

jrbmoto 08-12-2007 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No, on the wing, I overlaped yellow over white. This is where the problem occured. You can see the white through the yellow. Look closely at this pic and you will see. Its really not a big deal and I am happy with the results.

-Johnny-

ptmac3 08-12-2007 09:19 PM

Well, I think it looks great. You are obviously doing a good job.

jrbmoto 08-12-2007 10:55 PM

Thank you sir! :D

wildtang 09-02-2007 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
back to work on my baby

wildtang 09-02-2007 09:05 PM

Still have some work to do, I need to decide on a pilot figure so I can glue up the canopy.

jrbmoto 09-10-2007 02:53 PM

She's pretty much done! A few minor details and she'll be ready to fly. I used the Barbie that was in my dear departed Edge 540. Only now she has become rebelous and has tatoos from head to....well... torso! I hope to maiden her this saturday or maybe sunday depending on how many chores I have to do around the house. OS .46 FX, Futaba radio with Hitec HS-425 BB servos, 5 1/2 lbs.

jrbmoto 09-10-2007 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres some pics

jrbmoto 09-10-2007 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more...

somegeek 09-10-2007 11:27 PM

That's a pretty lookin build, jrbmoto. I like all the sheeting on this kit build. Looks very nice.

Are those airbags in front of the pilot? :D

I started into a inverted flat spin at 200 feet, half way down ran out of gas.
Retrived the magnum 46 and waiting for the bulsa tree to grow, planted enough seed
at least one should grow.
LOL!

somegeek

jrbmoto 09-11-2007 10:39 PM

Inverted flat spins are amazing with a Sunbird. Getting them to stop spinning is a challenge! This is a very short coupled airplane as you can see from the pics. A very unusual design, the wing has a fairly short span yet a wide cord, giving it a lot of wing area yet a quick roll rate. The airfoil is semisymetrical with just the right thickness for a wide speed range. It slows down very nicely for landings. Its not a precision aerobatic airplane and it doesn't do 3D very well but its a kick in the pants to fly! This is my third .40 size Sunbird, I'm still kicking myself for selling the first two! The first one I built was from a kit that was missing a lot of parts including the tail surfaces. I cut my own parts using contest grade balsa and was rewarded with a very light airframe. It flew a lot better than the second one that was completely stock. I did a few things to lighten up this one so I hope she will fly as well as #1

-Johnny-

catracer343 11-29-2009 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK guys, as I told Johnny, I'll start to post some build pics of my Sunbird 40 that I have been working on for the last month or so! I'm building it in a stock configuration and plan on powering it with an (new) old Magnum Pro .45 with a Mac's quiet pipe. I have to say that this is one of the nicest kits that I have ever had the opportunity to build, and again, would like to say a big THANK YOU to Johnny for all of his help and knowledge with the GM Precision Sunbird! Time to get started! -Craig

catracer343 11-29-2009 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics continued...

catracer343 11-29-2009 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And some more...

catracer343 11-29-2009 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now the rest as of this morning! I also forgot to mention that the canopy is from an Ultrasport 40. My kit did not have one, but this fits as if it were made for it! -Craig

jrbmoto 11-29-2009 03:09 PM

Looking great Craig! Glad I could help you out. Your gonna love it!

-Johnny-

jrbmoto 11-29-2009 10:00 PM

:)

catracer343 12-04-2009 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK folks, I started covering tonight!:D Ultracote white and pearl blue... -Craig

planebuilder66 12-04-2009 03:34 PM

I think I still have the tower catalog with the add for GM's planes.

jrbmoto 12-04-2009 06:30 PM

Wow! That looks SWEEEEET! I love the colors and the design!! Are you going to get some wheel pants for her? On my first Sunbird, I built up a set from balsa and covered them with Monokote. It was a real pain in the #*!&% but I think it looked pretty cool. My current one has pants from a 4 star 40 ARF. Keep up the good work Craig, I can't wait to see it finished!!!

-Johnny-

sir crashallot 12-04-2009 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

I think I still have the tower catalog with the add for GM's planes.
Dont tell me your hording old mags from years ago:), mind you iv been flicking through the same model mag for about 12 months, makes good to read when your relaaxing in the bath or just generally bored listning to the girlfriend snoring in bed:).

Great build thread, would be nice to drop on the plans for this model, pretty much sure it wouldnt take too long to knock all the parts up out of the new & scrap wood box. what engine is called for?

jrbmoto 12-04-2009 09:10 PM

Ok guys,
Anybody interested in a Sunbird 120 build thred?