RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Wood filler and balsa (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8142990-wood-filler-balsa.html)

06sportster 11-13-2008 09:29 AM

Wood filler and balsa

I am currently building a Sig Wonder kit. I have the wing about 90% done, and the instructions say to fill any pits/gaps with balsa filler then sand. I have some Elmers wood filler, would that be safe to use on the balsa? I do not see any reason why it would heart, or do I need something made especially for balsa?

Thanks,

Deadeye 11-13-2008 09:41 AM

RE: Wood filler and balsa

The big thing is weight. You should be fine with the Elmer's.

MinnFlyer 11-13-2008 09:49 AM

Elmer's is my first choice for wood filler. Go 4 it!

jaka 11-13-2008 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
The best way to fill any imperfections on a balsa or glass fiber surface is to use brown micro balloons (phenolic= plastic )...Not white micro balloons... mixed with either polyester resin or 24 hour laminating epoxy.

RICKSTUBBZ 11-13-2008 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 06sportster

.......... I have some Elmers wood filler, would that be safe to use on the balsa?

Thanks,

The elmers wood filler will get the job done. However, lightwieght "Spackling" works a lot better. You can find it at all the hardware stores. In the area of sheetrock supplies.

This stuff (spackling) is much lighter, maybe a little more stubborn to apply, but sands much easier.

By the way, neither spackling or wood putty offer any structural integrity. Epoxy and micro ballons will.

MinnFlyer 11-13-2008 02:15 PM

Personally, I'll take Elmer's any day over that Lite Spackle.

AviationNut 11-13-2008 02:36 PM

I find the Elmer's to sand more easily than the lightweight stuff I've used. The lightweight filler seems to be harder than the softer balsa and isn't as easy to feather out as the Elmer's. Also, the lightweight stuff will bubble up if you apply too much heat when covering - really sucks for Monokote which needs more heat than other coverings.

06sportster 11-13-2008 03:35 PM

ok, I am going to go ahead and just use the Elmers wood filler that I already have. I don't think any of it will be structal, just to fill in some boo boo's that I made. I may use some on the leading edge of the wing to help shape it too.

I just got my OS .15 CV-A. I spent a bit more on the motor than I had wanted, but hey its only money right! Going to be using a Futaba 2.4 reciever and 3 mini/macro servos (not sure witch ones yet). I hope this will be a good flying little plane. I have not build a kit in about 7-8 years. So I am taking my time, and trying not to mess it up too much.

Thanks guys...

AviationNut 11-14-2008 12:42 AM

Hey, that's funny. I didn't notice that this was for a Wonder at first. I'm currently covering my Wonder myself. I went with a Magnum 15xls and Hitec HS-82MG servos on aileron/elevator and HS-81 on throttle. BTW, I thin the Elmer's with water to help make it easier to spread. Good luck with your Wonder!

bigtim 11-14-2008 02:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another suggestion for filler that works well and is very durable is the Minwax wood filler, I add just a bit of water to loosen it up a bit strait out of the can its a bit stiff,but with a little water its a superior filler and can be purchased at most paint or hardware stores.

Dsegal 11-14-2008 09:14 AM

> I just got my OS .15 CV-A.

That is a great engine for the Wonder. At my advanced age the plane with its extremely short tail moment was a handful for me but I stretched the fuselage a few inches and it was a blast.

RCKen 11-14-2008 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I agree with Minn here. The Elmer's is all I use for filling on balsa.

Ken

06sportster 11-14-2008 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: AviationNut

I thin the Elmer's with water to help make it easier to spread. Good luck with your Wonder!
I never though of using water to thin it out. I did see that is said it was water soluble, I will have to give it a try next time.

MinnFlyer 11-14-2008 04:27 PM

Yes, but it doesn't take much!

Just wet your finger before applying it. That's usually enough.

Once it's all filled rub a newly-wetted finger over it to smooth it out. Works like a charm!

Ram Jet 12-13-2008 08:51 PM

I've had very good luck with a product made by Hobbico. It's called Hobbylite balsa colored Filler. It sands at the same rate as balsa, is water clean up until it sets and is very light weight. It makes for a nearly invisible filler on balsa.

Bill

TLH101 12-14-2008 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I agree with Minn here. The Elmer's is all I use for filling on balsa.

Ken
Me too, plus it's readily available at Wal-mart, and other places cheap!!

daven 12-14-2008 10:04 AM

I took Minn's advice on this and tried the elmers. I had always used light weight spackle in the past, but I'm a new convert.

It does not feather as well as the lightweight stuff, but it fills dings very well and gives a surface that you can ultracote too without melting.

Good stuff.

maynardrupp 12-14-2008 05:33 PM

I use "durabond" 40 minute. This is a powder that can be mixed to any consistency and sands and feathes easily. It is a similar product to spackle but is used by drywall pros for the buildup coats. It is available at Home Depot and is pretty cheap. It only comes in a big bag.;)

flyathome 12-16-2008 01:36 AM

Here is what I do. I use the Elmer's, but I thin it to a slurry with water and then thicken it with
microballoons. It is light weight, sands easily and is very cheap.

Steve