RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   GP Rapture 40 build help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8277599-gp-rapture-40-build-help.html)

Warnberg 12-24-2008 08:31 AM

GP Rapture 40 build help

I have the plane all framed out, for the most part sanded, still have to do a final sanding and now I have a couple questions about covering.
I have watched the video's and I have all the necessary tools. But what I haven't seen is any techniques on multi colored area's, which leads to my questions.
I want the top half of the fuse one color and the bottom half another (not exactly half there is a curve in there). So how do I do it? The place where the seam would be or the two colors overlap there is not a solid wood area to stick the covering to. Any tips or tricks?
Another question I have is when you do apply multiple colors do you just lay down the base color then apply a second or even a third color over the top of the base in the area's you want it?

Thanks

MinnFlyer 12-24-2008 10:28 AM

RE: GP Rapture 40 build help

1 Attachment(s)
If I were doing this covering job, I would do the bottom first, then the bottom of both sides - making sure they are high enough to match the curve.

Then the top of both sides, and finally the top.

As for adding a third color, if it's a small piece like a star or a pinstripe, just put it right on top of the existing covering, just be careful not to trap any bubbles under it.

ChuckW 12-24-2008 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What he said. On my old Rapture, I think I ran the bottom color to just above the lightening holes. This made for quite a big overlap with the top color but I managed. You can put the seam in the middle of the holes too, I just wasn't confident enough to try at the time.

Warnberg 12-24-2008 05:05 PM

Did you really just use rubber bands to secure the fuel tank? I'm thinking tie wraps.....

carrellh 12-24-2008 05:49 PM

I am in the early stages of building a Rapture. I saw the step in the manual about using rubber bands to secure the tank. Even though they are inside (not exposed to UV) I think I will use tie wraps, String, or other method as a backup to the bands.

I've heard of people ironing covering together on glass before applying it to a model. I've never tried it but it might be a way to get your color break over the holes.

ChuckW 12-24-2008 11:30 PM

I used rubber bands if I recall. The tank tray slides out easily for maintenance so they can easily be changed if needed. Nothing wrong with zip ties though or velcro. I've even used packing tape to secure a tank once; not exactly professional but it worked.

Ram Jet 12-24-2008 11:38 PM

I understand that when ironing covering over covering it a good idea to have a sewing needle handy to pop air bubbles and reapply heat.

Bill

Warnberg 01-04-2009 08:34 AM

I promise to never make fun of anyone elses covering job.... ever.....

MinnFlyer 01-04-2009 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Warnberg

:D

The good news is - the more you do it, the better you get at it

chashint 01-04-2009 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Warnberg
LOL
Wiser words have never been spoken ;)

Warnberg 01-19-2009 11:25 AM

Is there any way to get covering to stick well to other covering? I covered the wings then did a triangle type shape, widest area toward the tips of the wings. The pointed end (toward the fuselage) doesn't want to stay down well. It gets very thin and I just can't seem to get it to stay down well.

Thanks

MinnFlyer 01-19-2009 11:37 AM

Covering sticks best to covering. What type of covering is it?

If it's monoKote, you can stick it down with a little acetone.

If it's Ultracote, you could try CA, but in either case, make SURE the underlying covering is CLEEEEEAN

Warnberg 01-19-2009 12:19 PM

I'm using monoKote.... it seems to stick down fine, then the next thing I know it's coming up again...

MinnFlyer 01-19-2009 12:58 PM

Clean the both surfaces three or four times with alcohol and a new paper towel each time. Then try again. Or (after cleaning) try acetone if you have any (Nail polish remover usually contains acetone and that will work)

Warnberg 01-19-2009 01:49 PM

I'll give it a shot.... thanks

Warnberg 01-26-2009 07:57 AM

Here is an update. plane is built and covered. Haven't completely color trimmed it out yet and still not sure what to do. Tinted the canopy with rit dye (black) but the canopy came out very golden colored, looks OK but not the color I was expecting. Balanced the plane, I was surprised to see the plane almost balanced perfectly without any weight, I added 1/2 oz to the nose just to make it perfect but I believe it would have flown fine without. Throws are all set as well and trimmed the plane out by eye as close as possible, I'm usually pretty close but we'll see.

So, I am going to try to head to the field next weekend to maiden it weather permitting.....

MinnFlyer 01-26-2009 08:22 AM

If you want a black canopy, you need to mix black and blue dye. It's not too late, you can dye it blue now and it should come out black

Warnberg 01-26-2009 05:20 PM

Thank you....