RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8857500-sig-1-4-j3-kit-converted-pa-18-super-cub-build.html)

SunDevilPilot 03-11-2012 07:24 PM

RE: Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the panel just sitting on the plane. I'll glue it on tomorrow after the polyurethane is fully cured (Still tacky due to the thick coat I put on).

SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot 03-11-2012 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

Phil, did you have anything over the gauges for glass? If so, what did you use?
I have used some high quality packing tape but on this one I left it as is, photo paper.

SunDevilPilot
<br type="_moz" />

TripleDeucer 03-11-2012 08:30 PM

Phil, your panel turned out great. I'm not telling you what to do, but I think before you mount the panel, it would look nice to paint the top of the dash behind the windshield a non glare flat black like the full scale jobs have. I do mine that way and they look real good. Just a thought for you.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

SunDevilPilot 03-11-2012 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

Phil, your panel turned out great. I'm not telling you what to do, but I think before you mount the panel, it would look nice to paint the top of the dash behind the windshield a non glare flat black like the full scale jobs have. I do mine that way and they look real good. Just a thought for you.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif
I did just as you describe on my 1/5th Cub but I am not sure if I will get it done on this model. I am having enough issues with the windshield and I am not sure if I can bend the windshield onto the fuselage and maintain a seam at the location where an anti glare coating has been painted onto the fuse. My other model has a pre-formed windshield which allowed me to mark out where the transition would be and keep it under the windshield frame. This would be a real challenge with this model.

SunDevilPilot
<br type="_moz" />

TripleDeucer 03-11-2012 09:50 PM

I'll bet you could paint it with a brush from inside after the windshield is installed. You would need a thin flat brush for the cut in next to the windshield. It's not like you would be painting blind, as you can look through the windshield. A good artist supply store would have the correct brush. How about some of the Fourmost chaneling along the baseline? Anyway, whatever you do will look just fine.

TomCrump 03-12-2012 01:33 AM

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

Thanks for the idea of the H9 Windshield but it will not work with my model, based on the lack of the ''Eyebrows'' on a Super Cub. Had I left it a J3 that would be a great option.

The Instrument Panel, minus the GPS that will be added later, is complete.

I'm really happy with it. Has that fine wood look that I was after.

Some of the eariler photos made it appear somewhat light in color. These photos are almost exactly what it looks like in person. A deep rich red.

SunDevilPilot
Nice work on the IP !

GerKonig 03-12-2012 05:09 AM

On the instrument issue. this weekend I met a vendor that had some amazing scale stuff including instruments for a 1/4 scale J-3 I have. check his site, the instrument panels for WWII warplanes he had blew my mind... Also the full body 1/4 scale pilots.

Gerry

http://www.iflytailies.com/store/ins...cale-civilian/

SunDevilPilot 03-12-2012 04:23 PM

Video looks pretty amazing!<div>
</div><div>http://youtu.be/gsxs0oIPLBY</div><div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

SunDevilPilot 03-13-2012 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">Today was a day of reckoning between me and the windshield. The windshield won the previous round but today I had success.<div></div><div>Using what I had learned during my previous attempt I cut and shaped the windshield. I used the .020 from Balsa USA and it was a little bit easier to deal with than the .030 stuff from Sig.</div><div></div><div>Right now the windshield is gluing to the "A" pillars. Once those set I will release the clamps on the upper portion of the windshield and glue that down.</div><div></div><div>The black U-Channel was glued to the bottom of the windshield before I began the install onto the fuselage.</div><div></div><div>I also have the instrument panel gluing into the fuselage. I used a stick as a wedge to hold it in place until the glue sets.

*** Updated photos with one taken after clamps removed ***</div><div></div><div>SunDevilPilot</div></div>

AmishWarlord 03-13-2012 01:20 PM

I love those Irwin clamps. I have about 30 of the $1 clamps that I got on sale for .50 cents at Harbor Freight. I still feel ripped off. :)

You can never have enough clamps!

SunDevilPilot 03-13-2012 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have started to work on the battery tray. I am just creating as I go. The plan was to create a base frame and glue that into the plane. The base would have rails at the front and a bolt at the rear to secure a slide in style battery tray. The tray will be secured to the batteries via velcro / velcro straps. The batteries and tray will come out by removing a single 1/4-20 wing bolt.

In the photo you can see both parts. The bottom tray is still too long as I have yet to cut it down at the rear but the front side is more or less what the end result will be. As you can see I cut out the entire middle of the lower tray. This keeps it light and allows for the velcro straps of the battery tray to not interfere with the rail system, they simple go into the open space.

On the upper tray you can see the markings where I will cut slots for the battery straps, one on the front of the battery and one towards the rear.

Both parts will be lightened up with some holes once I commit to the design.

Thoughts?

I have never tried this before so it is a bit of an experiment.

SunDevilPilot<br type="_moz" />

Zor 03-13-2012 09:00 PM

SunDevilPilot,

You are coming along fine.

I presume that, the battery being the heaviest item in the fuselage, that you are providing for near instant deceleration. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bout_smile.gif http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/confused.gif.

Zor

HoundDog 03-13-2012 09:01 PM

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">A Gas Tank seems a lot easer. 1 time instalation. Charges (Fills) in30 seconds too.</span></span></span> <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">About $4 each and you only need 1 each.</span></span></span> <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">he he he LOL</span></span></span>

AmishWarlord 03-13-2012 10:31 PM

That sounds good Hounddog but the trouble is that fuel tanks shrink over the coarse of a year.

So if you have a 24 oz tank, a year later it will only hold 19.2 oz.

Then there if fuel delivery problems.

If your fuel tank can supply the engine with 2 oz of fuel a min, a year later it can only supply 1.6 oz a min.

Also if your engine needs 2 oz of fuel per min to run at full power then you need to get a 24 oz to run for 10 mins, so you'll have a 20% reserve.

You'll need to always keep 4.8 oz of fuel in the tank or it will heat up and melt, then you'd have to buy another fuel tank.

HoundDog 03-14-2012 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

That sounds good Hounddog but the trouble is that fuel tanks shrink over the coarse of a year.

So if you have a 24 oz tank, a year later it will only hold 19.2 oz.

Then there if fuel delivery problems.

If your fuel tank can supply the engine with 2 oz of fuel a min, a year later it can only supply 1.6 oz a min.

Also if your engine needs 2 oz of fuel per min to run at full power then you need to get a 24 oz to run for 10 mins, so you'll have a 20% reserve.

You'll need to always keep 4.8 oz of fuel in the tank or it will heat up and melt, then you'd have to buy another fuel tank.
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">A.W.L ...
I For got all the problems associated with Gas Tanks ... Thanks for the reminder. Of course they become a real problem after a short time. Think maybe "SOLAR" might be the way to proceed? One thing you failed to mention is that one problem with Fuel Tanks is the plane get's lighter as the Tank empties, about 2.2 Lbs Lighter. This in it's self presents a problem in that the Plane doesn't want to land. Anothe thing with Fuel Tanks is the "Fire Hazard" EXPLOSIVE situation. sorry!!! <span style="font-size: xx-small;"><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">he he he LOL ... Man I'm in trouble NOW.</span></span></span></span></span>

SunDevilPilot 03-18-2012 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been a little busy and as a result I have been neglecting my Cub. I have, however, been able to get the construction of the battery tray completed. I need to paint the parts cream but it is raining outside right now so that will have to wait. After paint is completed the lower portion of the tray will be glued in.

In the photo I just have one of the batteries on the tray. I was using it to size the removable portion of the tray.

Everything seems to be coming out good.

As you can see I lightened the parts quite a bit.

SunDevilPilot<br type="_moz" />

SunDevilPilot 03-19-2012 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These last few steps are taking my a lot of time!

Today I glued in all the windows on the side of the fuselage. The U-Channel I installed onto each pane of glass made this process pretty easy. I just had to be careful not to push the window out of alignment until the glue set. A bead of glue was run around each window using a syringe with the point sanded off to lay down the glue.

Tomorrow I will install the top glass then all I have left is to paint and install the main battery tray.

I plan on getting some litho plate to paint and cover up the glue on the windshield and top glass with a simple frame. (Another experiment).

After the battery tray is in the plane is airworthy, I hope!

SunDevilPilot

cannonball200 03-19-2012 05:11 PM

SDP;

LOOK'IN FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

I am a J-3 guy but I am enthused with your work.....

Thanks and good luck,
Eddie

Zor 03-20-2012 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

These last few steps are taking my a lot of time!

Today I glued in all the windows on the side of the fuselage. The U-Channel I installed onto each pane of glass made this process pretty easy. I just had to be careful not to push the window out of alignment until the glue set. A bead of glue was run around each window using a syringe with the point sanded off to lay down the glue.
&gt;
&gt;
SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot,

What kind of glue did you use for these windows ?

Is that syringe still useable after glue was in it ?

Thanks for that info.

Zor

AmishWarlord 03-20-2012 08:57 AM

Zor, do a gogle search for Microject 412. You can buy them for $25 a box of 50.

Zor 03-20-2012 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Zor, do a gogle search for Microject 412. You can buy them for $25 a box of 50.
I supposed you meant Google.
I searched for Micoject412
and also for Microject 412 (with a space)

I got nothing concening syringes.

Thanks for trying to help.

I hope to receive information per my questions.

Zor

AmishWarlord 03-20-2012 09:37 AM

I'm on my cell so can't post links or spell Google. I have a.link posted on an rcu these under "Chinese Hobby Shops" see if you can find it there.

AmishWarlord 03-20-2012 09:47 AM

Ah misspelled it it's "Monoject 412"

SunDevilPilot 03-20-2012 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glue - The glue I used is Pacer RC560. I have has the bottle for years. It stays rubbery and dries 100% clear. Really good stuff for canopies.

Syringes - I washed mine out. The canopy glue is water based so it easily cleans up.

This morning I sprayed the wheels black. I was going to go with cream but I happened to have some Krylon black that is made for painting plastic. So I tried it out and really like the look.

Right now I'm waiting for the paint to start it's reaction so I can spray the cream onto the battery trays. I will be quite happy to be done painting for a while. Cleaning out the spray gun is a real chore.

After painting I will work on the top glass and glue that on.

This will leave me with installing the battery tray when it is dried and this plane is flyable!

I will likely add some more details after the plane has flown.

SunDevilPilot

AmishWarlord 03-20-2012 12:56 PM

Found the link to the glue syringe.

http://www.net32.com/ec/monoject-dis...GoogleShopping