RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8857500-sig-1-4-j3-kit-converted-pa-18-super-cub-build.html)

SunDevilPilot 07-23-2012 05:09 PM

RE: Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

It is sad, and it could be repaired with a lot of effort...... But, to be honest my 1/5th Scale Cub flys better than the 1/4 did. So, I will continue my Cub flying on my 1/5th Scale and move forwards with my other projects.

I have my Nieuport about 50% built and then I am building a 1/5th Scale P-51 Mustang (I already have the kit).

After those planes are done I may feel like building a Cub again. Cubs are my favorite plane so the next one will likely be a 1/3 scale. I saw somewhere AMR was making a Super Cub Kit. Having looked at their 1/3 J3 Kit I would buy one on the spot once the Super Cub is released.

SunDevilPilot

WacoNut 07-23-2012 05:25 PM

Pull that out of the garbage and save it. It isn't that bad and you may decide to get it flying later or at least donate it to a club member. I have 2 planes to rebuild that are much worse than that. Going to be a long winter.
Later!!
Anthony

cannonball200 07-23-2012 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I under stand. I went through your build with you and it was inspiring for a lot of us. I will build a 1/3 J-3 some time soon. I have fun flying my Hanger 9 1/4 scale J-3 now with the Dle 20 in it. I still check in on your build at times.

It is HOT!!! here in OKC and I know you are having the heat also.

Have a good evening!

Eddie

TripleDeucer 07-23-2012 05:52 PM

Wish I lived close to you and I would take it off your hands.

WacoNut 07-23-2012 06:00 PM

BTW: AMR is working on a 1/3 Super Cub. Their 1/3 J-3 has been serving me well. It has been my go to plane all summer so far. The way my luck has been going I am nervous when I start flying it but witin a minute I am relaxed and enjoying the flight.
Later!!
Anthony

SunDevilPilot 07-23-2012 06:17 PM

For now the fuse and wings are in my garage. But I doubt I will hang onto it. <div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

Zor 07-23-2012 10:50 PM

SunDevilPilot,

I have followed your build with geat interest.

I regret your reaction to the momentary emotional reaction.

Even stripped of electronics, in a short time you would regret throwing it away to scrap.
Please DONOT scrap it.
From what I see and also mentioned by our friend there are much worst Cubs.
It is worth repairing.

No one should depart from a plane that you loved so much.
Let it sit for a while and soon you will want to show it your love again.

Zor

Flyitorcrashtrying 07-24-2012 06:04 AM

I know its disheartening, but that is not bad at all. You just need a break from it. I have a friend that flies (tries to anyway) he crashes all the time and has me repair them. If I was close to you I would fix it for you. Would be a shame to toss it after all the work you put into it.

Cub Man 07-24-2012 06:48 AM

From all my years in this hobby, you cub looks very repairable. as others have said take a month or two off from it. My cream cub was in a mid air....Well mid ground hit, I was hit by another plane landing when i was taxining back to me. it set for a year before I rebuilt it back.

SunDevilPilot 07-24-2012 06:58 AM

Thanks for all the comments guys. As of now the wreckage is just sitting in my garage. Maybe I will rip the covering off in a bit and take a closer look. However, I am still less than excited to fix it.<div></div><div>No matter what, my Nieuport 28 takes priority over the Cub.

Cubman - Maybe I need to order your L-4 Plans and build a better one!</div><div></div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

AmishWarlord 07-24-2012 11:56 AM

Phil if you don't want to repair crashed planes then build them lighter. No sense using plywood and heavy duty construction, balsa ply is 1/4 the weight. Granted your plane will explode into confetti if you have a mishap but if your not going to repair them anyway then no problem.

Try this on the next kit you build, Build two planes at the same time. Plane 1 as per kit materials and instructions. Plane 2 is a copy but uses all balsa. Only plywood should be the firewall, landing gear, and servo mounts. You will find that Plane 2 flies dramatically better. Plus if you crash it you will be able to carry it home in one of the little grouchier store plastic bags.

SunDevilPilot 07-24-2012 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Amish.... I like you're thinking... I am an expert at damaging them just enough that they could be, with a lot of effort, repaired. If I make them ultra fragile I could just call it a loss!

The poor Cub probably hit the ground at about 40 MPH and it still looks like a Cub.

I'm going to catch hell for this but the owner of Viper Hobbies made me a deal I could not pass up on an Aero-Works Sport Cub he had ordered some time ago. I paid far less than I would have if I ordered the plane myself. I just unboxed it and all looks good.

At least this will get me back in the 1/4 scale Cub business. I will use my electronics from my Sig Cub in this one while I decide what to do with the crashed one.

SunDevilPilot

Zor 07-24-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

Amish.... I like you're thinking... I am an expert at damaging them just enough that they could be, with a lot of effort, repaired. If I make them ultra fragile I could just call it a loss!

The poor Cub probably hit the ground at about 40 MPH and it still looks like a Cub.

I'm going to catch hell for this but the owner of Viper Hobbies made me a deal I could not pass up on an Aero-Works Sport Cub he had ordered some time ago. I paid far less than I would have if I ordered the plane myself. I just unboxed it and all looks good.

At least this will get me back in the 1/4 scale Cub business. I will use my electronics from my Sig Cub in this one while I decide what to do with the crashed one.

SunDevilPilot
SDV,

When a Cub lover ____always a Cub lover.

It would be a mortal sin to scrap a Cub.

Somebody, I do not know who, put one in the garbage at the flying field.
Some day it will fly again.

Cubs have contributed too much to aviation to be thrown away whether models or full size.
Quite a while ago I posted about the local aviation museum converting a very old full size J3 to a PA18.

If you have a bad luck again you may find it a lot easier to repair the one you built so lovingly.

Best 2 U and your Cub.

Zor

knucklebutt 07-24-2012 03:00 PM

An ARF !!! I want a DIVORCE [>:]

WacoNut 07-24-2012 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: knucklebutt

An ARF !!! I want a DIVORCE [>:]
LMAO.
You gotta love that!!

Good Luck with the Aeroworks Cub, a guy in my club has a 50cc version and loves it. It is a great flying plane.
Later!!
Anthony

SunDevilPilot 07-24-2012 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend Ed has one too. I have flown it a few times. It will serve as a Fill-In until I decide what to do about my crashed plane.

ARF - I know, I know... But I only have enough building table to construct one kit at a time, and I really want a 1/4 Cub to fly in the time being.

With your help, Knucklebutt, my Nieuport 28 will become my masterpiece of building skills. It seems my flying skills need a little tune up!

Some Cubs can be thrown away.... This one is a H9 Cub that had radio failure (Spectrum).

The second and third photos are of me putting the maiden flight onto Ed's Sport Cub.

SunDevilPilot

Zor 07-24-2012 05:44 PM

My friend Ed has one too. I have flown it a few times. It will serve as a Fill-In until I decide what to do about my crashed plane.

ARF - I know, I know... But I only have enough building table to construct one kit at a time, and I really want a 1/4 Cub to fly in the time being.

With your help, Knucklebutt, my Nieuport 28 will become my masterpiece of building skills. It seems my flying skills need a little tune up!

<span style="color: #0000ff">Some Cubs can be thrown away....</span>This one is a H9 Cub that had radio failure (Spectrum).

The second and third photos are of me putting the maiden flight onto Ed's Sport Cub.

SunDevilPilot
[/quote]

I was thinking and should have written .....

Itwould bea mortal sin to scrap a Cub that was built with love over months in the work shop.

Zor

SunDevilPilot 07-25-2012 03:45 PM

I'm warming up to the idea of fixing the Cub. Not now but maybe in the future. We'll see after I strip it this weekend. <div>
</div><div>I'm excited to build the Aero-works Cub for now though. </div><div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

SunDevilPilot 07-29-2012 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well guys... I have begun assembly of the Aero-Works Sport Cub. It is a decent model but it isn't exactly a "replacement" for my Sig Cub. For some reason it just isn't the same. So, I decided 100% that the Sig will be rebuilt. The decision was based on the limited amount of damage I discovered after stripping the plane down. The fuselage will require about 3-4 hours to repair and maybe about the same for the wings.

Damage is as follows:

Bent Struts - The Main Struts will be rebuilt, the Jury Struts survived.
Broken Landing Gear - Will be replaced
Smashed Cowl - Will be replaced
Broken Fuselage stringers - Will be re-glued.
Torn Wing Roots - Broken Root Ribs will be carefully removed and replaced with new parts.

My plan is to build the Aero-Works Cub, fly it...... Build the Nieuport 28.... Then repair the Cub.

SunDevilPilot

cannonball200 07-29-2012 03:25 PM

Great to hear the good news about the Cub rebuild. You had too much love in the Cub to let it be done.

Eddie in OKC

Flyitorcrashtrying 07-29-2012 04:00 PM

Glad to hear that you are gonna repair it. Nice to see the covering off to get another glimpse of the craftsmanship. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

SkyPilot101 07-29-2012 06:40 PM

SDP, Kudo's to your decision to save your Cub, the damage does seem light afterall. One possable good thing that may transpire is that you will use a honest to goodness ENGINE in the SportCub, DA-50 is recommended, I believe. So you will be going GAS with this one, right........RIGHT?

SunDevilPilot 07-29-2012 07:29 PM

No, electric. The Sport Cub is getting the motor from my Sig Cub.
<div>
My plans for the Sport Cub is for it to replace my Thunderbolt as my primary plane for the Arizona Electric Festival.
</div><div>I've pretty much gone totally electric. The only gas plane I have left is my DA50 powered Edge 540.</div><div></div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

Zor 07-30-2012 12:05 PM

Well guys... I have begun assembly of the Aero-Works Sport Cub. It is a decent model but it isn't exactly a "replacement" for my Sig Cub. For some reason it just isn't the same. So, I decided 100% that the Sig will be rebuilt. The decision was based on the limited amount of damage I discovered after stripping the plane down. The fuselage will require about 3-4 hours to repair and maybe about the same for the wings.

Damage is as follows:

Bent Struts - The Main Struts will be rebuilt, the Jury Struts survived.
Broken Landing Gear - Will be replaced
Smashed Cowl - Will be replaced
Broken Fuselage stringers - Will be re-glued.
Torn Wing Roots - Broken Root Ribs will be carefully removed and replaced with new parts.

My plan is to build the Aero-Works Cub, fly it...... Build the Nieuport 28.... Then repair the Cub.

SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot,

I am sure you will have even more love for the Sig Cub when the time comes for repairing it.

You have now made a good decision you will never regret.

Zor

SunDevilPilot 08-03-2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was in the mood to do a little repair on the Cub. I did receive the replacement rudder for my Aero-Works Cub today so work will continue on that model too.

To my surprise I broke one of the lower fuselage longerons. It broke right at the point where it starts to curve inwards. I decided to install a doubler onto the longeron to maintain the natural curve of the wood. While I was at it I added a doubler to the other side for good measure.

I also secured a couple loose cross braces.

Once the parts dry I will go through the other side of the fuselage and check for anything loose. Once that is done I will patch the large hole in the bottom of the forward fuselage. That piece of wood must have hit a rock as it was crushed inwards. Fortunately it missed the forward gear plate. My plan for that piece is to inlay a piece of balsa and sand it flush. I've already cut out the crushed balsa in that area.

I also received my replacement landing gear. I belive the first set soaked up most of the impact and they paid for it. The Robarts are strong but most of the cross braces / suspension parts were bent and or destroyed.

As you can see most of the covering is removed. I was lucky and was able to strip the covering around the elevator stab and leave some unpainted covering on the fusealge to attach the new stuff too. When I covered that area I put a strip of covering at the junction of the elevator and the fusealge. The elevator / stab and rudder will not be uncovered any further and they will not be unhinged.

SunDevilPilot