RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8857500-sig-1-4-j3-kit-converted-pa-18-super-cub-build.html)

Flyitorcrashtrying 08-03-2012 09:23 PM

RE: Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

You built it well the first time. Any less craftsmanship would have had more damage for sure. I knew you were not gonna toss it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif I didn't expect you to start back on it so soon, but she's a beauty, needs to get back in the air. Looking good. Neuport is too.

SunDevilPilot 08-04-2012 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Repair work on the rear of the fuselage is complete. The broken longerons are repaired, some of the loose cross-braces are reattached, and everything appears as it did when the plane was first built.

I'm going to transition over to the Aero-Works plane for the rest of the day but I will post updates as the repair process continues.

Just so you all know.... My passion is much higher for this plane than it is for my Aero-Works one so I will be struggeling to keep my hands off this one and built the ARF.

SunDevilPilot<br type="_moz" />

SunDevilPilot 08-13-2012 05:44 AM

Replacement cowl ordered.

Moosehead2 08-20-2012 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gee whiz! I have been following your Nieuport build and didn't even know about the mayhem over here! The immortal words of my father still echo in my ear..."If you're gonna cry every time one of those damn things crashes, get a new hobby!!" He was a loving man, honest, just not an aviation afficianado. (Besides, now I wait until I am in the workshop by myself with a bottle of scotch to cry...is that wrong?:() So while my flying never really got much better, I did get better at fixing things. Glad to hear that you are giving her a second chance.:)

Zor 08-22-2012 05:46 PM

SunDevilPilot,

I keep checking the thread often.
It is nice to see your love for that beautiful plane in which you put so much work was not for nothing.

Take your time; it will be so nice to see it ready to fly again.

Zor

VincentJ 08-27-2012 06:18 AM

SDP, looks like you're ready to cover soon. Repairs made look as good as new!

SunDevilPilot 08-28-2012 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided when the mood strikes to go ahead and work on the Cub. The Aero-Works Cub will be completed this morning, just needs to be balanced, then my primary focus is the Nieuport. However, I find I do better work if I am interested in the task at hand. So, if I want to work on the Cub then I will. I try not to have more than one build going at a time, and now I have thee planes on my build / repair table, but oh well.They will all get done in time.

Here is what I did last night. The large hole in the bottom side of the forward fuselage has been repaired. I cut out the damaged wood, trued up the sides, cut a piece and carefully adjusted it to perfectly match the hole, then glued it in. This morning I sanded it all flat, good as new.

At this point all the fuselage needs for repair is to reinstall the lower cowl mounts, remove and replace the forward wing joiner, and reinstall the servo rails. Once that is done the fuselage is ready for covering. However, I will hold off on that until the wings are repaired and the struts are rebuilt.

I may put the gear onto fuselage just to get her "Back on her feet".

Zor 08-29-2012 08:17 AM

Very nice work SunDevilPilot as you always do.

I keep following and find you an inspiration for all of us.

Zor

SunDevilPilot 09-15-2012 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have removed the broken ply wing joiner from the upper cabin area. That was a little bit of a job. It was epoxied in there pretty good. I drilled most of the material out then ground / filed it out. Im happy with the end results.

I also got the fusealge back on her feet.

Next I will repair and replace the servo / radio tray mounts then the fuselage, minus reinstalling the lower cowl mounts and some sanding, is ready for covering.

I also made my first tool on the wood lathe, a short handled ball driver. I wanted a short ball driver to allow me to install the wings on both this plane and on my Aero-Works Cub. The shortness allows the screwdriver to fit within the width of the fusealge.

I also learned some basic sewing (A real man can sew by the way!). Made up some Bungee Covers. I still want to find a better material, thin vinyl, but these will work as a prototype. The one shown fit the 1/5th Scale Cub. These are for my friend Jerry. There is also a set shown on my 1/5th Cub.

The Aeroworks Cub flys really good by the way. Not the same "joy" as my kit build Sig Cub but fun.

SunDevilPilot 09-16-2012 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes taking something apart without destroying it is almost as difficult as it would be rebuilding it. The "well installed" instrument panel is now removed.

Removing the panel took a bit of time as it was epoxied to the fuselage. By slowly and carefully working a razor saw behind the panel I was able to cut it free.

When I had the gauges printed I did so on a sheet with 4 copies of the gauges. So, when the panel is reinstalled I will just use one of the other printings.... Simple!

SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot 09-18-2012 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The repairs continue. The rails for the forward radio tray are installed and the rear servo tray rails are repaired. I also re-created the rear servo tray as the first one was damaged in the crash.

In an effort to make it the same, if not better than before, I got an upgraded set of tires. I really liked the air-up 6" tires but handling was negatively effected. So, I purchased a set (Two actually) of Dubro air-up Cub Tires. They are not advertised but I was able to get them by calling Dubro (A fellow RCU Member enlightened me to this). Hopefully their smaller diameter will help with handling while their air-filled capabilities will help soften the landings.

No matter what, they look great.

Only thing left to repair on the fuselage is the lower cowl mounts. It's getting there!

VincentJ 09-19-2012 03:15 AM

Nice Job on the stitching SDP looks great, now about hemming my pants....LOL

Flyitorcrashtrying 09-19-2012 10:08 AM

Its coming along great. So glad that you set it aside till the disappointement if the crash wore off. I am sure she will be back in the air soon. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

SunDevilPilot 09-23-2012 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rails for the elevator and rudder servo tray have been reinstalled and the tray itself has been remade. Process was easy due to my photos of the original part. I just copied what worked before. In a few minutes I will reinstall the lower cowl mounts and the repair of the fuselage structure is complete. Then onto the wings.

SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot 09-23-2012 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Structural repair of the fuselage is complete!!!

Bring on the wings.

VincentJ 09-23-2012 12:03 PM

Nice Job SDP! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif Better than new....

Zor 09-23-2012 02:21 PM

SunDevilPilot,

I am still following the thread with enthousiasm.

You are doing fine and are an inspiration for many.

Congratulations for a repair well done.

Zor

SunDevilPilot 09-23-2012 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have begun the process of installing the cowl. First I opened up the prop shaft hole then the two air intake holes. Now that the cowl fits over the motor I will drill the mounting holes.

Looking like a Super Cub again.

SunDevilPilot

Neddy191 09-23-2012 06:38 PM

Looking good. I can't wait to see you get it back in the air.

VincentJ 09-24-2012 03:37 AM

SDP, I have a question to ask you about sanding discs. I broke down and bought the same Jet 12" disc sander that you have. Is it better to use the hook and loop backing on the sanding discs or the adhesive backed discs? I'm assuming you are using 220 grit. Thanks</p>

SunDevilPilot 09-24-2012 05:40 AM

ORIGINAL: VincentJ

SDP, I have a question to ask you about sanding discs. I broke down and bought the same Jet 12" disc sander that you have. Is it better to use the hook and loop backing on the sanding discs or the adhesive backed discs? I'm assuming you are using 220 grit. Thanks</p>
Great choice on the sander! It really is a step above all the big box store stuff.

My sander still has the stock paper on it, likely 80 grit. I was going to take it off and put on some 100 grit to 120 grit but to be honest the 80 has been doing fine. Dont put on too fine a grit or you'll start burning the wood.

I know it is a pain but stay with the sticky back paper. The hook and loop will mess up the flatness of the sanding plate and make the joints a mess.

Stop by Home Depot and get some Johnsons Paste Floor Wax to seal and protect the cast iron table. I cleaned off the packing grease with WD40 and a rag. Then put on and buffed off (like a car) the floor wax.

Hope this helps!

VincentJ 09-24-2012 06:26 AM

Great information. Will be sure to do that. Thanks

SunDevilPilot 09-25-2012 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not really good at tearing something apart so I have to force myself to take my time and find the easiest / least destructive method. My hands are telling me to just rip it apart and my brain is telling me I need to carefully dissect it.

After about an hour picking / cutting / filing / sanding I have to root rib removed from the left wing and the root of the wing sanded true. To maintain the angle of the root rib I only sanded until the remnants of the root rib disappeared. This will help keep everything in alignment with the original built.

Next I will dissect and prep the other wing and then I will recreate the root rib structure. I am saving the pieces to assist with the recreation process.

So far I am happy with how this is coming along.

I have never repaired a plane to this extent so I am learning as I go. I would be a little happier if I had not crashed this plane in the first place but at least I am enjoying the process of repair ( I wouldn't recommend you crash on purpose to try repairing for yourself though).

The photos show the wing as I was after the crash, mid dissect, and completed.

SunDevilPilot 09-25-2012 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lucky "break" on the right wings root rib. I was able to remove it in more or less one piece. This will serve as the template to recreate both root ribs.

The balsa at the rear of the wing is being left in place due to the fragility of that part of the wing. The inner wood had broken across the grain so I pulled the crack apart, injected some foaming gorilla glue, and taped the piece back together. Once dry the root of the wing will be stable enough to work on.

Time to start cleaning up the forward section of the root area.

SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot 09-25-2012 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Right wing root is cleaned and ready to have the root rib replaced.

Now to remake the ribs.

SunDevilPilot