RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8857500-sig-1-4-j3-kit-converted-pa-18-super-cub-build.html)

do335a 10-29-2010 09:15 PM

RE: Sig 1/4 J3 Kit converted to PA-18 Super Cub (Build)

ORIGINAL: Lowvoltage

Like a Swiss Watch, the joinery is beautiful. The sad part is that after it gets covered no one will know.

Joe

Oh, they'll know for certain, Lowvoltgae, because this plane will stay stuck together for many years and not fall apart in short order like those poorly joined models with butcher construction.

For those of us who are fanatic builders as SunDevilPilot is, where everything must fit precisely, we appreciate what is going into his build in time, effort and skill and very much enjoy seeing him come along with it so nicely.

AmishWarlord 10-29-2010 09:45 PM

That's OK WE know what's under there!

SunDevilPilot 10-30-2010 07:59 AM

<span style="font-size: small; ">It is a shame all the hard work gets covered up in the end. However, I always try my best to make everything just perfect. I find great satisfaction in trying new things, new methods of building, and ending up with something I can be proud of. There are many ways to do something and I find amusement in finding the best one.These forums allow me to research how others solved a problem and to copy their method or adapt it onto my own. I can even share a method or two I have used in solving a problem.

&ldquo;Difficulties mastered are opportunities won&rdquo;
<span class="toptext" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; font-weight: normal; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-decoration: none; ">- Winston Churchill

Thanks again for all the comments, from everyone.
SunDevilPilot</span></span><span class="toptext" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 20px; font-weight: normal; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); text-decoration: none; "><br type="_moz" /></span><br type="_moz" />

warbird1947 11-03-2010 09:42 PM

Love the build thread. Got a Sig 1/4 Cub myself. Picked it up last week from a guy who needed more room [too many planes]. Fusilage was allready built and covered, but the wing still needs sanded and covered. Built the struts last night. Best $40 I ever spent! Goes great with my $50 BUSA Fokker D-VIII that I got last year. I found this thread when I was searching for info for a PA-18.

SunDevilPilot 11-26-2010 08:24 PM

Been neglecting my poor Cub build but I got back at it today...

Just a few more steps and it will be on to the wings.

Today I added the stringers to the rear of the fuselage sides. The stringers lift the covering away from the underlying structure creating a more scale look. Process went per the plans. After sanding the stringers to their proper shape I will add the supports for the elevator's stab then I will add one more modification. I am going to extend the top stinger on the turtle deck to the former in the center of the wing. This will give a more scale look and is possible due to the redesigned wing center section. I believe it was omitted stock due to the center section leaving the plane when the wing is removed on a stock model.

After the turtle deck mod I need only add the tailwheel bracket to the bottom of the fuselage and it's time for the wings.

SunDevilPilot<br type="_moz" />

SunDevilPilot 11-26-2010 08:25 PM

A little lower angle....

SunDevilPilot

AmishWarlord 11-26-2010 08:45 PM

Where did you get that nice bench the cub is sitting on?

do335a 11-26-2010 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

After the turtle deck mod ...
Quite right.

The center spine actually sits higher than the outer longerons on the upper fuselage sides at the trailing edge of the wing on the full size plane. And it goes to the rear of the window in the wing.

You are quite coirrect. The way Sig designed it on the model, it's too low at the front end. BUSA has that part set up the way it is on the full size plane. Mind you, there are other areas where the Sig version is more accurate than theirs.

While you're at it and if you have the time, it would also be nice to have the gap between each stab half and the fuselage, as you'll find on the full size plane and on both Sig's 1/6 model and BUSA's 1/3 model.

SunDevilPilot 11-26-2010 10:29 PM

Will do something like this.

SunDevilPilot

sticktickler 12-29-2010 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a few shots of my old Super Cub 1/4 scale, fabric covered, built in 2002, G-38 for power and still looks and flies great.

SunDevilPilot 02-22-2011 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really nice cub Stickticker.

I have begun working on the wings and needed to come up with the attachment method. I took the basic idea from the stock wing design, a plate with a blind nut on the root rib. However, I modified the stock method in two ways. The plans call for a plywood root rib, a balsa sub rib, and a ply plate with blind nut glued to the balsa rib for the securing bolt. I didn't like the idea of having the balsa wood sandwiched between the blind nut and the root rib, fearing the balsa wood would crush over time when the wings are tightened. So.... I modified the ply plate into a circle and cut away the balsa rib to allow the ply plate to directly contact the ply root rib. I also went with two bolts per wing half vs one bolt attaching the wing halves together. Photos are attached showing the root rib on the plane.

Now that the root rib and the attachment method is complete I can begin to build the wing halves, which will be more or less stock with the addition of flaps.

SunDevilPilot

coopster88 04-14-2011 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I am building a ¼ scale Sig J3 Cub at least I think it’s a Sig kit. It has a OS 120 four stoke on it. Could anyone tell me what kit this is and if I can get plans for it? I am putting this together for a friend. His father has had it in his attic for several years (while the rats ate away). He never finished it. He gave it to my friend, his son, to finish it and maybe fly it but he has no building experience. He has made many mistakes and I am attempting to fix them. My two major questions are what type of systems should I use for the rudder and elevator and how do I do the windows; it did not come with any. I am sure I will have many more questions but for now that is what I am dealing with.
107 in wing span
70 in from spinner to tail

Help?
Coop

WacoNut 04-14-2011 05:10 AM

You can get a set of plans directly from Sig. All the windows are made from flat stock.
Anthony

coopster88 04-14-2011 05:16 AM

Does Sig have the flat stock? Where do I get it? Is this a Sig?

WacoNut 04-14-2011 05:22 AM

I am sure you can order this from Sig as well. I usually just get mine at the local hobby shop.

WacoNut 04-14-2011 05:34 AM

I just checked their site sigmfg.com and they have the plastic stock listed, I did not see the plans but you can call them and they will sell you the plans and instructions.
Anthony

TripleDeucer 04-14-2011 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: coopster88

Hi,

I am building a &frac14; scale Sig J3 Cub at least I think it&rsquo;s a Sig kit. It has a OS 120 four stoke on it. Could anyone tell me what kit this is and if I can get plans for it? I am putting this together for a friend. His father has had it in his attic for several years (while the rats ate away). He never finished it. He gave it to my friend, his son, to finish it and maybe fly it but he has no building experience. He has made many mistakes and I am attempting to fix them. My two major questions are what type of systems should I use for the rudder and elevator and how do I do the windows; it did not come with any. I am sure I will have many more questions but for now that is what I am dealing with.
107 in wing span
70 in from spinner to tail

Help?
Coop
That is not a Sig J-3. The stab tipsare wrong for a J-3 in the elevator hinge line. Should be straight out. Sig J-3's never had flaps. The forward fuselage sides are wrong for a Sig. The front end is different. Wingtips should be round on a J-3. What does the cowl look like?
I think what you have is a Super Cub variant of some kind. Maybe a Husky. May not even be that, but it is not a Sig kit. Is the guy still around to ask?
www.bte.comsells a little router bit for dremel tools that will make a step down around the insidewindow perimeter to glue your flat windows to. Check it out. It's called "rout-a-bit"

coopster88 04-14-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have not talked to his dad yet but he has no plans for it. I will find out. I am trying to find out if I should sand the wings or leave them. It seems like a lot of extra material. I have attached some pics of the cowl. I researched the supper cub and I think you are right but the landing gear looks like a Seagull Piper Cub 1.20 ARF SEA3575. I also need to find out how to run the elevator push pull tube.

TripleDeucer 04-14-2011 12:21 PM

That cowl doesn't look like Super Cub either. A good solid way to control the elevator would be to make a servo mountingplate for under the stab on the side of the fuselage with a short 4-40 rod connection to the horn. Just use a good lightweight servo with torque to minimize nose weight.
I would try to talk to the guy to find out what it is. OR, start a "What is it" thread of your own inkit building sectionto get more exposure.

Aiden88 04-14-2011 12:38 PM

Do you notice howin every single picture that Sundevilpilot posts that everything is spotless. I've seen a lot of his1/5 Cub buildpics over the years and they are the same.I am always in awe of people who can maintain such a high level of neatness during their every day life. This is reflected in his builds too. HIs workmanship is extraordinary and very detailed. Me on the other hand can't keep my work area clean to save my life and I don't know how many times I've botched something because of clutter or popped a hole in my covering because I left a sharp tip sticking up. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../red_smile.gif

Anyways, just an observation. Great work, looking forward to seeing this baby completed.

Zor 04-14-2011 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Aiden88

Do you notice howin every single picture that Sundevilpilot posts that everything is spotless. I've seen a lot of his1/5 Cub buildpics over the years and they are the same.I am always in awe of people who can maintain such a high level of neatness during their every day life. This is reflected in his builds too. HIs workmanship is extraordinary and very detailed. Me on the other hand can't keep my work area clean to save my life and I don't know how many times I've botched something because of clutter or popped a hole in my covering because I left a sharp tip sticking up. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../red_smile.gif

Anyways, just an observation. Great work, looking forward to seeing this baby completed.
It is quite easy to take pictures of our work that looks like no mess is ever done in our work.

I do most of my work on the dining room table. I have a 36" x 60" 5/8" thick plywood that sits on the table. I put the ply on the living room floor and take the pic items to the table and do my photo(s).

Just put the ply back on the table to continue working. All the mess is on the plywood.

Hee! Hee! ___Not a big secret .

Zor

SunDevilPilot 04-24-2011 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Aiden88

I may be slightly OCD but I like to blame the wife!

The key to my cleanliness is wheels! All my equipment is on them. I only have a two car garage and everything must be put in its place to keep the vehicles parked in the garage. So... Generally I take them out when in use and put them back when done.

I'm trying to find the time but I should be able to get started on the wings in the coming weeks. My plan is to take a week off work so I can sit at home with the wife away and get them built. This plane really needs to get completed! I just don't want, maybe because of my imagined OCD, to have the wings on my workbench and no time to get them complete. I just want to "marathon" through their construction.

You know what, my father always liked his garage clean and I would be the one messing it up. Hum, maybe I am just like him, weird.

(Here are a couple photos I just took of the garage. There may be some mess somewhere in there????)

SunDevilPilot

<br type="_moz" />

Flyitorcrashtrying 04-24-2011 07:13 AM

The trash bucket looks a little messy to me. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif

Great build. Ilove the mods.

coopster88 04-24-2011 05:20 PM

Where are all the shelves with stuff? I have so much stuff in my garage. I have been collecting stuff for 42 years and I think it’s time to build a shop. I also inherited my father’s and grandfather’s tools, needless to say, I have a lot of stuff......

SunDevilPilot 06-26-2011 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have hit a wall when it comes to building the wings. I am planning on starting them in the near future but I want to take a week off work so I can sit at home and just get them done.

There is, however, a significant change in the direction I am taking this model. I have really been flying my electric planes a lot and have decided to really get into the electric stuff as my primary mode of power. So this plane is going to go that direction, electric. I ordered a Hacker A60-14L which will swing a 22X12 propeller on 10 Cells and give 2300 watts. To make the prop fit, without hitting the ground, I am mounting some 6" tires. I saw a 1/4 cub with some of the inflatable Dubro 6" tires and it looked really good. It had that bush plane appearance.

Anyways, here is what the motor looks like installed. I made an adapter plate to allow me to bolt the electric motor up without pounding out the original blind nuts. The motor bolts to the plate which has some blind nuts flush mounted to the backside then the plate get bolted to the original blind nuts. The plate also gives me the correct firewall to prop distance.

The finished Cub is my friend Jose's. It some Chinese made 1/4 with 6" tires.

Thoughts?

SunDevilPilot