RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Kavalier Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9025649-sig-kavalier-build.html)

CRJDriver 08-18-2009 12:24 PM

Sig Kavalier Build

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought my son a new Kav kit for his second airplane. He soloed his CG Eaglet a month ago and is flying it very well! Thats my boy! I plan on equipping it with an OS .32 SX engine mated with a 10x6 prop. I built one of thesse about 7 years ago and thought it was probably the best flying sport plane I have ever flown. I plan on adding flaperons and building it perthe plans unless anyone else has any reccomendaions. It will be trimmed in the Kougar Thunderbird scheme. As with all Sig kits, the wood and die cutting is of finest quality. I will begin the build this weekend and will post pix of our progress. It should go together pretty quickly and hope to get my son Collin plenty of stick time before the snow flies here in MN. Here are a few pix of my prvious build which I regrettably sold.

ZeppelinIII 08-18-2009 06:21 PM

RE: Sig Kavalier Build

I love the plane and the engine, but I'm not sure if they are the best combination. My last one ran great with a 46FX. One of those, or the new AX (or any good running 46) might be a better match.

Then you'll just have to get a Kobra to put the 32 in :D

Gray Beard 08-18-2009 10:26 PM

I have built several of them, our club had a race class for them and not a lot of guys are builders. They all had the OS .46FX in them and were very quick!! Outstanding plane as built.

JWQ500RC 08-19-2009 12:22 AM

My Brother built a Kavalier in the late 70"s. Still has it, hung in the rafters for about 25 years or so and he flew it again last summer. It's back in the rafters again, he's afraid to fly it he dosn't want to crash it after all these years. I've flown it a couple of times Great flyers.

Have fun and good luck.

CRJDriver 09-04-2009 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to posting some pictures of the build. The wing is now about 50 percent complet and is going together nicely. Hope to get her done by the time the snow flies.

CRJDriver 09-20-2009 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made some more progress on the wing. It is now finished for the most part. I did make a few changes detailed in the attached photos. I located the aileron servos in the mid-wing section and plan to mix in some flaperon. Not that this kit really needs flaps, but to help introduce the use of them to my son Collin prior to flying his first warbird. Second, I extended the wing-tips to fair with the trailing edge of the ailerons. This should help reduce turbulation at high speeds and minimize the possibility of flutter.

skyraider71 09-20-2009 12:25 PM

Nice start, looking good! I'm watching this one.:D

CRJDriver 09-24-2009 04:56 PM

I received Collin's new engine today. I have decided to just go with an OS .46 AX ABL. More than enough power with this combo. The build is coming along nicely although a little slower than I woulod like. I only have weekends available and need to take advantage of the seasonably nice weather before the snow starts flying. The fuselage sides have been glued up and firewall, along with fuse formers F2 and F3. I should have most of it complete by Monday as we have some crummy weather in the forecast. I'll post pix this weekend! Cheers!

skyraider71 09-25-2009 08:14 PM

Don't feel bad, I'm restricted to weekend build sessions also.
But I do have some vacation days up soon.:D

CRJDriver 09-28-2009 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More Progress.

Nordicz 09-28-2009 09:17 AM

CRJ,

Looking Really good. Today should be a good day for building.

Z

jrcaster 10-03-2009 12:48 AM

It is nice to see that people are still building the Kavalier. It is a really nice flying airplane. I have one with the .46ASP and it lands better than a trainer. It has single servo in the center of the wing so no flaperons, and the ailerons go to the tips.

If I were to build another one I beleive I would cut the tips the same as you have. What motor mount came with the plane? Looking at the blind nuts it looks like it is set up for the aluminum motor mounts, and may not work with the newer mounts.

Another place I changed from the plans is that I did not cut out the top leading edge section in the center to mount a pilot. I went for maximum strength.

Dr1Driver 10-03-2009 08:26 AM

I actually soloed on a Kavalier. I'd planted my trainer before my flight instruction was complete. I was having a LOT of trouble learning to land due to the trainer being blown around in the wind on approach. Ground effect under the big, flat bottom, mucho dihedral wing didn't help any, either. I brought the Kav out to the field and landed on my first flight with it! The semi-symmetrical tapered wing cut right through the wind and the higher loading allowed it to track in straight and true. After I soloed, I learned aerobatics with it. Turn the controls up and it's a hot little number. I didn't know Sig was still making them, but I'm glad to see some are still in the air.

CRJDriver 10-03-2009 10:26 AM

I have to say that the wood in this kit is absolutely, bar none, the finest balsa I have ever used. It is easy to infer that each piece was hand selected for it's intended purpose. I coudln't be haapier with the way this one is put together. In response to an above post, the engine mount is the new glass filled nylon mount from Sig. I hope to get this girl ready for covering over the next few days as teh weather here in MN is not paletable for flying. I just have to finish constructing teh horizontal stab, finish the canopy area, final sand, fit the cowling and cover. I expect maiden by OCT 17th with any luck! Cheers!

CRJDriver 10-11-2009 06:12 AM

Progress so far: Wing is covered and ailerons installed. Canopy glued up. Fuse is in the final stages of covering. She is starting to look pretty nice. Too bad I didn't meet my goal of having her maidened before the snow flies cuz that already happened yesterday. Will post pix today.

Insanemoondoggie 10-11-2009 07:11 AM

Looking really good ,I bet Collin is getting excited , now that it is taking shape.
Just noticed your handle, CRJ, you dont by chance fly out of MSP? I worked the flight line as a Crew Cheif for over 20 yrs, there. Coldest and windyest place in Mn. lol.

CRJDriver 10-11-2009 08:36 AM

I am actually based out of Chicago O'Hare. Were you in the Reserves or Guard? I retired from the Air Force after 21 years and 2 days 2 years ago on the C-141. Great career. Thanks for your comments. And yes, Collin is getting pretty stoked. Still might have a chance to maiden her without frozen fingers.

CRJDriver 10-11-2009 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some Pictures:

Wildcard 10-12-2009 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I heard great things about the Kavalier as well. So much so that I went out and built one. I managed to get it up for a short flight to trim it out. The second time going up it climbed out nice and easy with a slight roll. When I was ready to level it out I realized I no longer had control of it and it slowly roled over on its back and took a nose dive into the ground. The fustrating thing about it is to this day I don't know why it crashed. One day I might try and build another one.

Enjoy,

Brett

Gray Beard 10-12-2009 12:13 PM

Oh Brett, that really is a shame. That is perhaps the best covering job I have seen on one. All the Kavs I have built were for the racing class so the covering was very basic, I only did one nice covering job for one fellow, he wanted his to look like the one on the kits box, that was OK looking. I have lost two planes due to radio problems and I never solved the why of it?? One of the great mystery's of life!!:eek:

CRJDriver 10-21-2009 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mission Complete!!!! Well, I finally finished the KAV and she is flight ready. Hopefully we can get her up before Fall ecapes winter. All up weight is righ at 5 pounds. This should bring the wing loding in at around 20 oz per sq ft. It should be a spectular flyer for my son. He is pretty darn proud of it! Enjoy the pix. Sorry about the size, not sure what happenned there.

Chris

doxilia 10-21-2009 08:17 AM

Chris,

Beautifully built and finished! I hope you and your son enjoy some good fall flights.

David.

Nordicz 10-22-2009 05:59 PM

Chris,

Looks really nice, By any chance are you going to try and maiden the plane this weekend. Looking to make a stop at Tom's on my way home tomorrow. Still looking at some options. P-40 or the Sea Fury

Z

Insanemoondoggie 10-22-2009 09:25 PM

Wow nice job ! Love the scheme . Pat yourself on the back, you do good work.

CRJDriver 10-23-2009 08:02 AM

Thanks guys, I do my best. You just can't beat the quality in SIG kits. I wish they offered more in the scale kit department. The wood in this kit was amazing. You can definitely tell that each piece was hand selected for its intended purpose. Very refreshing i today's kit climate. Way to go SIG!!