RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Goldberg super Chipmunk build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9353205-goldberg-super-chipmunk-build.html)

Hab 02-18-2011 06:02 PM

RE: Goldberg super Chipmunk build

I gave the retract idea a thought when I started mine. I didn't go that route though. I stuck with the standard gear and the wheel pants.
I did beef up the gear blocks somewhat with extra 1/2"" tri. stock with added 1/8" ply gussetting from the ribs streching to the side of the
gear block. Both sides of the gear block. 30 min. for that added const. detail.

Struts ... I used trailing edge stock. Routed (grooved) a 3/16" (dia. of the gear wire) 1/2 radius groove in the thick end. Two pieces of 1/16" sheet stock
then laminated on both sides, extending past the front of the trailing stock as to extend past the gear wire. Sanded (cleaned) up the gear wire.
where they were to be attached, Then epoxied those to the gear. Pants must be mounted in order to get the lenght of the struts,
1/4" x 1/4" cap was then epoxied to the front of the struts and then sanded to give a rounded face. Also be sure to give the "relief" angle at the rear.
on the top of the struts. Angled that way for a reason ...... ;)

Hab 02-18-2011 06:31 PM

It was a vid I came accross on youtube. I know he had several aircraft he flew depending on whether he was on the East or West Coasts .... or in between flying.
I searched on his stuff looking for pics of the Chip w/ retracts and without. So happens,
that the tail # on this one the - CG / Greatplanes Chipmunk ser. # N1114V is the
one that ran the standard gear with pants. One is hanging in the Smithsonian. Believe
that one , is one of those running the retractable gear.

drube 02-18-2011 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: emilsanto

here is a vid showing art and his chip munk with retracts and him standing up waving i have to tell you it was art's chipmunk that got me into planes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-kHT...eature=related
Nice! Thanks! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Paul_BB 03-16-2011 08:30 AM

I own a chinese CG Super Chipmunk clonewithout flaps. It weighs 6.5 lb and is powered by a Saito 72.
Won't torque roll though. But who cares ?

charlesp 04-01-2011 04:33 PM

Got my chipmunk done and made it with the flaps. I also used a OS 46AX

Flew it this last Thursday in 10 mph wind for the first time and she flew great. Plenty of power with the OS 46AX. I was worried about it being under powered but took off with flaps in about 20 feet. It climbed well but not unlimited. Took a bit longer without flaps but not at all bad climbing without flaps also was good but not unlimited. Its not a 3D plane so I don't care. That is what my PBF is for (another storie) Will be a nice flyer. This plane will be going to the field with me alot. What a blast

drube 04-01-2011 06:27 PM

Congrats on the maiden! That's great to hear it will fly on a 46AX. Did it at all feel under powered? Just curious...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

charlesp 04-02-2011 01:44 AM

not at all. it took off before i wanted it to. I was just going to taxi it around for a bit before i went up but it went up right away with the flaps

Paul_BB 04-02-2011 02:11 AM

This plane is a blast. The design is not exactly new but still stands up to its expectations. C Goldberg was a kind of genius.
</p>

Mtthwacrss 04-06-2011 11:57 AM

I just picked up a GB Super Chipmunk from a guy who started the kit about 10 years ago. It is about ready to cover. I noticed that he did not take the wood out of the front lightening holes. Anyone known a reason why he would do this? I have e-mailed home but thought I would ask you all while I wait for him to answer. I can’t wait to get it ready to fly. I am going do it in the Basic Art Scholl color scheme.

Hab 04-06-2011 01:31 PM

Talking about the knock - outs on the sides / bottom, aft wing saddle area ? Clue less on that one.
I'd have to guess he forgot that step when assembling the fuse.
Don't see any benefit by leaving them in. If CG thought they were needed to be left in tack for torsional strength,
they wouldn't of die stamped / laser cut them to begin with.
[sm=confused.gif]

Hab

ORIGINAL: Mtthwacrss

I just picked up a GB Super Chipmunk from a guy who started the kit about 10 years ago. It is about ready to cover. I noticed that he did not take the wood out of the front lightening holes. Anyone known a reason why he would do this? I have e-mailed home but thought I would ask you all while I wait for him to answer. I can’t wait to get it ready to fly. I am going do it in the Basic Art Scholl color scheme.

charlesp 04-06-2011 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is my chipmunk that i flew for the first time this last week

cherokeenut 04-20-2011 04:46 PM

Hi all, I just signed in as I found you on a search engine. I've been flying for 25 years and finally got a chance to buy one of my "want" planes, a Super Chipmunk from Goldberg. The previous owner said it needed a "little" nose weight, but 15 oz? The plane was built very well and runs a Saito 100, flipping it over and checking the CG I kept adding tape a weights on to the nose untill I came up with 15 oz bringing the plane level. I'm checking it at the main spar which is right at 4" from the LE at the fuse sides. My question is this, are these things really this tail heavy? I own an original Dmeco Astro Hog and a Sig Astro Hog and neither of them are this bad. Thanks in advance!

dragonov3 04-20-2011 04:52 PM

The chipmunk I built and maiden-ed for my friend required no nose weight. The one I built has an os .61fx. In fact I put the battery pack behind the fuel tank and it balanced perfectly. Isn't the saito .100 heavier than the os .61.

cherokeenut 04-20-2011 05:14 PM

Yeah the 100 is a big girl, thats why I'm puzzled at adding another pound to the nose.

TonyBuilder 07-15-2011 08:22 PM

Well chippy fans, my chipair met a violent death the other day. I was doing tight loops at full throttle trying to get the gear to lock onto place and it did a high speed stall, snapped and planted into the ground at full throttle. So now I will build a new one stronger, and better. I will be installing the 100 degree sierra retracts and the DLE 20. This was my first kit and I learned to fly and build on it, so it has some sentimental value.

TB

dragonov3 07-16-2011 10:25 AM

Sorry to hear that Tony. Chipmunks are awesome planes. Cant wait o see the new one!
Best of luck.
Dan

drube 07-16-2011 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: charlesp

this is my chipmunk that i flew for the first time this last week
Very nice! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

TonyBuilder 08-03-2011 02:47 PM

My new chippy kit arrived today. I will start building in the morning. This will be a modified build using all that I have learned. I will be using the DLE 20, it really worked well with the original chippy. I will be installing Sierra 100 degree rotating retracts. All control surfaces will be scale concealed hinge with robart hinge points. No flaps on this kit, never needed them and I want this to be a fun flying every day plane. All plastic parts will be replaced with balsa, wing tips and belly. FS cowl. I will post the modifications as I go. Hopefully in a month or so she will be ready to cover.

TB

dragonov3 08-05-2011 06:04 AM

Looking forward to the build.

nefariousrc 12-17-2011 03:54 PM

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; ">I just found out that my lovely wife bought me this kit for Christmas.  This is my first kit build and I'm really excited to give it a try.<div>
</div><div>So far my plans are to power it with a DLE20 with a custom wrap around pitts.  Was originally looking at the Aerovate 15cc but it weighs the same as the DLE.  My only concern is prop clearance as the DLE likes to swing a 16"-17" prop. </div><div>I also plan on attempting my first smoke system and going with two aileron servos in the wings.</div><div>
</div><div>What are the torque requirements for servos in this plane?</div></div>

Paul_BB 12-17-2011 10:03 PM

Standard servos. 40 to 80 oz/inch

Tarasdad 12-17-2011 10:21 PM

My Chipmunk kit is sitting by my building board waiting for its turn. I decided to use my Fox .50 for a CG Tiger 60 (great combo), so the Chipmunk will get my Saito .80 for power. I built one using this very engine 20 years ago but never got it 100% complete so she never flew. Took a long break from the hobby and just recently got back into it. I'm hoping to start building soon but it may not be until closer to spring, we'll have to see.

motoman326 12-21-2011 05:07 PM

I am starting my Chipmunk tomorrow. OS 65 LA for Power with Bisson muffler, Electric retracts, flaps and a smoke system. My first Chipmunk kit, my second kit build (Usually am an ARF assembler). I have owned several chipmunks and ALWAYS loved the way they fly. Will be doing a simultaneous build with a buddy who has forgotten more about building than I will ever learn so any problems I run into should be easy for him to solve. Wish me luck!!!

PlaneKrazee 12-21-2011 06:00 PM

mm326,

Keep it light, it will fly better and land slower. I built a two oz. smoke pump that uses a one cell lipo. Expensive but it's the smallest and lightest I've seen. Need to find 1s connectors for my cellpro.

motoman326 12-22-2011 12:27 PM

PK,

Thanks! I am thinking it should end up right around 7 lbs.