RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   SIG Komander (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9561251-sig-komander.html)

Bill Diedrich 03-07-2010 09:38 AM

SIG Komander

1 Attachment(s)
Living overseas when this kit was availalble, I never got to see one
or build one. My question is was the plane built on printed fuselage
sides or were plans supplies with the kit? If plans were supplied does
anyone have a set that they can copy for me?

Many Thanks,

Bill D.

vpresley 03-07-2010 12:18 PM

RE: SIG Komander

Hi

Oops, that was for my SIG Kougar. Have a Komander coming in the mail. Will let you know when I get it, if someone else has not posted the answer.

Vince

landeck 03-07-2010 02:04 PM

I built one back in the mid 70's and, IIRC, it had printed sides and a foam wing.

Bruce

Bill Diedrich 03-07-2010 07:18 PM

I spoke to one of the "OLD" guys at the field today and asked about it
best he could remeber was the Mk 1 had the printed sides & parts and
the MK. 2 had die-cut parts, but couldn't remeber if it had plans or not.

The foam wing is still available from Eureka Aircraft in, Eureka Springs, AR.

Bill D.

Bigc 03-08-2010 11:45 AM

I built one about twelve years ago and the fuse was built based in the printing on the balsa. There was a booklet supplied if I remember correctly, but
after 3 moves, I don't have it anymore. Was a good flying plane. Had an OS 46 in mine.

RobertC

TCraft Lover 03-08-2010 03:09 PM

I built two of these but don't remember if they Mk1 or Mk2. They printed balsa, sheeted foam wings and a manual only. Build was straight forward. The Kommander is a great flying bird. I had a Fox .50 on mine.
Dave

rogue-RCU 03-09-2010 08:05 AM

I have one waiting to be built. It has printed sides on the fus and foam wings.

TCraft Lover 03-09-2010 09:42 AM

Hi Rogue,
I'm sure you will enjoy the build and I know you'll love the flight characteristics. Can be reasonably aerobatic. The stockLG instalation is a might weak so you may want to beef it up a little. Enjoy it.
Dave

OldRookie 03-09-2010 11:51 AM

The Kommander kit I built years ago, only had an instruction manual with it. No Plans.

Greg

TCraft Lover 03-09-2010 03:19 PM

I'd love to have another Kommander kit. They built easy and flew great. fSome guys eliminated the factory main gear and installed ply and a set of aluminum mains on the lower fuse. They would have to be short ones though.

vpresley 03-10-2010 03:48 AM

I think they called that a kavalier ! At least it real close.

Vince

TCraft Lover 03-10-2010 07:53 AM

Kavalier and Kommander are similar but Kommander is larger. Point being that the Kommander has wing mounted mains which are known to pull out on rough landings. Sometimes even not so rough landings. Having this reputation some builders added 1/4" ply on the belly and a set of aluminum main gear to get away from this tendency. I think the Kavalier kit is still offered by Sig.

rambler53 07-05-2010 09:25 AM

http://www.hobbyhorse.com/sig_kavalier.shtml

I found this to be the best second plane I've ever flown.
You can throw a .46 on it and really belt out some speed too.
The wing is excellent and the plane is very strong.
Are you still looking now that 4 months have passed? :D

tailskid 07-05-2010 12:29 PM

I flew the heck out of the Kommander...and that wide track landing gear made landings beautiful. Never did have any problems with the gear coming lose. Just used a lot of epoxy I guess :).

tweedy 07-05-2010 09:40 PM

I built one in 1975, silk and dope, with a OS Wankel 30, it fit perfect in the cowl, used an undersized spinner that allowed cooling air to get to the engine. I was always worried about the long gear legs, but they never failed, and I was flying off pretty tall grass at times, the Wankel was not really enough power.

Richard

tailskid 07-05-2010 09:42 PM

That plane would look great in a camo color scheme - WWII vintage :)

landeck 07-06-2010 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: tweedy

I built one in 1975, silk and dope, with a OS Wankel 30, it fit perfect in the cowl, used an undersized spinner that allowed cooling air to get to the engine. I was always worried about the long gear legs, but they never failed, and I was flying off pretty tall grass at times, the Wankel was not really enough power.

Richard
I built one in the same time frame. I had an Enya .45 in it and it flew great. I too was flying off grass and never had a problem with the long landing gear.

Bruce

WORNBOOTS 07-06-2010 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a excerpt from the box referencing the printed wood assembly, along with die-cut parts and manual (From a early kit Not MK-II)

Plans were not used, and most of the construction is fairly simple and straight forward.
The Manual is very comprehensive and completely covers the entire assembly, it's also geared towards the low-time builder.

AA5BY 07-08-2010 07:33 AM

Also build one in '75 and used the just released Enya .40, which flew the plane with plenty of authority. It served me as both trainer and intermediate. No problems with landing gear. Also silk and dope.

An interesting aside is back then, one of the 3M spray adhesives was foam friendly and sheeting a foam core wing was a piece of cake with the spray adhesive. A wing would build up really fast, and they were strong albeit slightly heavier than a built up wing. The Kommander had a generous wing for a .40 size plane and with the wash out had good flight temperament.

ckangaroo70 07-08-2010 08:36 AM

I actually have couple sets of Komader plans. I would be happy to send you a set if you still need a plan.

blw 07-08-2010 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: rambler53

http://www.hobbyhorse.com/sig_kavalier.shtml

I found this to be the best second plane I've ever flown.
You can throw a .46 on it and really belt out some speed too.
The wing is excellent and the plane is very strong.
Are you still looking now that 4 months have passed? :D
I've built a Kavalier and have one NIB. They are excellent models designed by Claude McCullough.

The Kav is one of those kits that are easily modded. One company offers foam cores for the wings.

The Komander sure is good looking. I also have the plans filed away somewhere. The box art shot is identical to the Kavalier picture. They were probably shot on the same day.

AA5BY 07-08-2010 11:39 AM

IIRC the Kavalier was a later release... perhaps a few years later.

CVN70VET 02-24-2014 06:27 PM

what is a complete Sig Komander kit worth. I have to sell at the right price

Red7fifty 03-10-2014 12:39 PM

If you have a NIB, with Shrink Wrap, I will pay a pretty penny....(more actually) for a cherry example.
But, I'm still interested for a nice condition NIB kit.

robbtennis 10-30-2014 12:38 PM

Hello gents, I'm looking for a Komander canopy since I recently landed my show quality model in an oak tree. I am beginning to reconstruct her with modifications inc retracts and alternative tail configuration since I never liked the original. I plan to post progress here so stay tuned and please advise me if a canopy happens to cross your path. Thank you in advance!