RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood *** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9687514-%2A%2A%2A-ultra-sport-brotherhood-%2A%2A%2A.html)

lonestoner 12-02-2014 04:46 PM

I'm always looking for ways to spend my hard earned money in the good old USA.

JNorton 12-02-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Super08 (Post 11929686)
Tell that to someone from Taiwan, they don't like it much. Taiwan is trying to be known as producing high quality products and takes offence to being called Chinese. I think it is like one of those "it's complicated" relationships. ;)

You know you're right. I should not have said Taiwan is Chinese. Overall their products are very high quality.

Zor 12-02-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Super08 (Post 11929649)

Beats me, the last 4 stroke I bought was a Saito 125 about 3 weeks ago.

and was marked made where ?

My Saito 125a box is marked MADE IN JAPAN but that is about 3 years ago.

It might also depend how long an engine took before being sold retail.

I would imagine the box markings are accurate.

Zor

Super08 12-02-2014 04:57 PM

I will have to look tomorrow, just heading out to work. It is my first Saito.

lonestoner 12-03-2014 03:05 AM

Saito is a great 4 stroke engine, I have one for two years already and it is just great,

KaP2011 12-03-2014 06:01 AM

I've had and still have Saito's, OS and Super Tiger engines. My experience is that Saito's are great running engines but sometimes can be finicky to tune. They look and sound great but I've had a couple of bad ones. Super Tigers, both the Italian and the Chinese ones, can be a pain to tune but when they are right they will last for years, at least the Italian ones will anyway. Sometimes an easier fix for the tuning problems is to replace the carb with an OS carb. As for OS, I can only remember one that I had problems with and that was an OS 70 FL with the air bleed carb. I hated that engine. Every other one, and I've had a lot of them, were and are great running engines. My US 60 has a Saito 1.00 with a 13.5 X 9 APC prop and it is a perfect match. It's been said that an Ultra Sport just cry's out for a two stroke and I agree but sometimes a four stroke works just as well.
Just my 2 cents.

Super08 12-03-2014 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zor (Post 11929710)
and was marked made where ?

My Saito 125a box is marked MADE IN JAPAN but that is about 3 years ago.

It might also depend how long an engine took before being sold retail.

I would imagine the box markings are accurate.

Zor

I just had a look and it says Made in Japan.

Zor 12-03-2014 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Super08 (Post 11930478)

I just had a look and it says Made in Japan.

Thanks Super08

lonestoner 12-04-2014 03:48 AM

Moki is in the process of manufacturing a new generation series two stroke as we speak and will be available soon.

jrf 12-04-2014 09:24 AM

That would be great to hear, but their website doesn't say anything about it. Where did you get that info?

lonestoner 12-04-2014 01:17 PM

I emailed moki engines ,and they told me this info ,they also confirmed with me where I should look for one in a month or so at bj model services.

BelAirBob 12-04-2014 02:16 PM

Remember, Saito engines usually like high nitro. Mine run great on 15% but I know people using 30%

JNorton 12-04-2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BelAirBob (Post 11931175)
Remember, Saito engines usually like high nitro. Mine run great on 15% but I know people using 30%

Mine have run with 5%. Ran last summer with 10%. I've also run 15%. I think the high nitro thing is a myth, you can use it but it is not needed. I never used 30%.

KaP2011 12-04-2014 06:45 PM

I believe the Saito team pilots use 30% because they get a little more power and a lower idle speed. I've ran mine on 10% and 15% and once on 30% heli fuel and I could definitely tell the difference.

lonestoner 12-08-2014 05:37 PM

Just to let everybody know that moki engines sell their engines directly from the company in Hungary and the 2 stroke 140 are selling for 350.00$ that is gonna be my choice engine for my us 1000 .

Super08 12-08-2014 05:59 PM

That should go like stink.

lonestoner 12-08-2014 06:46 PM

Is stink good,or bad?

Super08 12-08-2014 07:35 PM

Good, very good/ :)

lonestoner 12-09-2014 03:53 AM

Perfect

KaP2011 12-18-2014 06:57 PM

US 1000 for sale

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1010351

lonestoner 12-19-2014 03:03 AM

I have seen some good 120 glow engines for sale but I'm homing in on the 140 size,

tschuy 12-19-2014 04:28 AM

Hi Gents,

Been out of the hobby for a while due to career moves, working entirely too much for the past several years and recently been dealing with a very aggressive type of brain tumor Cancer that was diagnosed with a survival rate of 3-6 months. As one can imagine going through something like this ones perspective on life really changes. First it was family and recovery, which I'm happy to say that I am now officially one of the 1% who will actually survive this thing and been told that my prognosis has been extended for many more years to come.

I have an UltraSport 1000 new in the box kit on the building bench now with the tail feathers built and now starting on the wings. Plan is to use Robart air retracts, since I've always had good luck with them. I found that if properly maintained they will work just fine. I have a Reaction 54 Turbine with a set with well over 300 cycles on them and as of yet had a single failure.

My Ultrasport 1000 I decided to go with the OS 120AX with a tuned muffled pipe. Should have plenty of power. Plan to split the ailerons and modify with Flaps per MinnFlyer's design recommendation. Will use the dual aileron setup per plan and flaps I'll use dual servos as well. Not sold on the single flap servo installation using the torque rods. I'll follow the design used in my Reaction 54 which has been very solid.

Fun winter project ahead of me! Was wondering if others have tried the OS 120AX piped setup before?

Thank you for listening and I'm planning to share my building experience with others.

BTW..l also have an Ultrasport 60 still new in the box as well. Next build after the Ultrasport 1000.

Feels awesome getting back into the hobby hot and heavy!

Cheers,

ochsnm00 12-20-2014 06:27 PM

Tim, I'm glad your well. I know someone who has been a brain cancer survivor for 10 years. Happy modeling.
Milt

tschuy 12-20-2014 08:26 PM

Thank you Milt for your kind words. As a guy who had a prognosis and was told by one of his doctors that I basically had 3-6 months to live, I was elated with the news passed my way just last week. I'm very lucky I guess. Now they say 10+ years which has brought great relief to my family and I. New focus and more into family and what makes me more happy. So back into one of the passions that I have. Building and flying radio control airplanes. To me one of the best is the UltraSport. Old school design that in my opinion fly ten times better then what is currently designed. I like the Kaos as well. They just fly better to me compared to the modern day stuff. Flying an ARF just seems like taking half the fun away. True you are up in the air a lot faster and it makes sense with how modern day life and careers have taken people these days. But in my humbled opinion one is missing a big part of the R/C airplane hobby. Building your own and then taking it up for its first flight.

I personally am looking forward to my winter building season! Still a bit weak from the laser radiation treatments and Chemotherapy but getting stronger each day. Can't think of a better way to recover then spending time at the building table. I'm back at work now too. Lucky for my chosen career it's mostly desktop work. I design power and cooling solutions for Data Centers and also an SME on data center DCIM solutions. Fun stuff! Design power and cooling solutions that never ever let a a Data Center go offline. In the medical field or hospital systems, it is just a thing that absolutely cannot happen. So I engineer complex power and cooling solutions that have redundant sources available at all times. Then drive for super efficient operation. Challenging in deed but fun too. I work for a Children's hospital which has a special meaning to me as well. Nothing could be more rewarding then serving to a organization that serves our most valued asset. Our Children...

Cheers,
The new Timmy 2.0

lonestoner 12-21-2014 05:21 AM

People on here use the 120 size and they say it runs great on the us 1000,myself am going with a 140 for some snap,