RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood *** (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9687514-%2A%2A%2A-ultra-sport-brotherhood-%2A%2A%2A.html)

MinnFlyer 12-20-2011 08:16 AM

RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

The Goldberg Chippy is another of my all-time favorites!

Navy18 12-20-2011 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The Goldberg Chippy is another of my all-time favorites!
Which plane flies better overall? The chipmunk was just so stable in all maneuvers....

MinnFlyer 12-20-2011 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Navy18

Which plane flies better overall? The chipmunk was just so stable in all maneuvers....
If you mean between the US and the Chippy, it's apples and oranges.

The one you like better depends on the type of flying you feel like doing that day. The biggest difference is that the US is sleaker and faster

hrrcflyer 12-20-2011 10:19 AM

Navy18,

I personally don't have one, but a friend I fly with has a US60 he built with an OS91 4 stroke on it and it flies VERY WELL, even though he didn't put retracts in it.............[X(][X(] Which, by the way, I still give him grief about...................:D:D

David

Red_Jeepster 12-20-2011 10:35 AM

OH! You guys are KILLIN ME! Retracts, Retracts Retracts... LOL
OK so now I am going to build another wing from scratch and put in these Dave Brown retracts I have sitting here.
I'm fine with having two wings on hand. Just in case my thumbs don't match what I THOUGHT I could do. ha ha ha

Retracts, moved outboard by 1 bay... Check!

Saito18 12-20-2011 11:25 AM

Has anyone ever tried to retrofit retracts? I have a 90% built US40 wing I got from someone and the gear blocks are in the tail dragger position. Additionally, I was thinking about adding them to my US60 as well which has the blocks in the trike position.

I have both a US40 and US60 kit in reserve so I could always build new wings if it was easier.

My old US40 had them and a US just isn't the same without retracts.

MinnFlyer 12-20-2011 11:35 AM

I don't think it would be at all difficult to retro-fit them

Saito18 12-20-2011 11:55 AM

Hmm, maybe you're right. I'll give a try and see I can make it work. The removal of the gear blocks is the only part that worries me. Not sure how well those bad boys are glued in there and how to get them out clean. 
</p>

rickbrad 12-20-2011 12:00 PM

I am going to do it to a wing that I acquired on a partially completed US40 kit. I may have to replace the spars the blocks are mounted to, or at least double them up with a patch.

The wing is not covered, so if I figure out a clean way to do it I will take some pictures and post them here.

Saito18 12-20-2011 12:04 PM

Nice. Thanks Rick. Same goes here if I find a good way to do it.

MinnFlyer 12-20-2011 12:21 PM

No need to take the old blocks out, just leave them in

KaP2011 12-20-2011 12:28 PM

I just finished building a US40+ wing with retracts and if the US40 and the US40+ have a similar wing structure it should not be too difficult. If you move the retracts out 1 bay as Minnflyer recommends then I would leave the old gear blocks in place.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110

rickbrad 12-20-2011 12:31 PM

I don't know why that didn't occur to me! :eek:

Saito18 12-20-2011 12:37 PM

I know the US60 blocks can stay since they are in the trike poistion, but I was more refering to the US40 where the gear blocks are in the tail dragger postition.

I think Minn's method of moving them out 1 bay would help with install, but it seems to me that I would still need to remove the blocks out so that the gear can have room to retract.  If i'm thinking of it right then the block is sitting right where the wheel should when the gear is up.

KaP2011 12-20-2011 12:43 PM

That's right, they would be in the way. Still should not be too difficult. A dremel cutter would do the job.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110 <span class="info"></span>

MinnFlyer 12-20-2011 12:51 PM

Oh, I thought you were referring to the trike gear blocks.

Even with the retract blocks, they could probably stay, you might have to cut some away with a dremel, but it beats having to remove them

Saito18 12-20-2011 01:06 PM

You guys are probably right; I will try to just cut/grind out material vs removing the whole blocks. Thanks for the advice!

Navy18 12-20-2011 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Navy18,

I personally don't have one, but a friend I fly with has a US60 he built with an OS91 4 stroke on it and it flies VERY WELL, even though he didn't put retracts in it.............[X(][X(] Which, by the way, I still give him grief about...................:D:D

David
Thanks for the report, hrrc... I have commited to the 91.... full speed ahead.

Roary m 12-20-2011 01:53 PM

It's true about the Chipmunk vs the US, two different flying ships. I found the US to be a precise ship as opposed to the Chipmunk, but I really liked how the Chipmunk could be wrung out, knife edge loops and tumbles. I will say the US could pull off pretty much everything the Chip can, it just feels less sloppy.

matadco 12-21-2011 05:49 AM

I'm not sure I agree with Minnflyer about moving the gears out board one rib length (4"). My first US had manuel retracts with standard length gears and the wheels were up into the belly pan. I was not all that pleased so when I built #2 using the same 6l OS with a 12" prop I shortened the gear by about 2 inches. This time the wheels were just out board the belly pan. Stability was greatly improved with the shorter VS longer gear. Even with the shorter gear there was still plenty of prop clearance on our grass field, even when it needed mowing. MY only complaint with the 90 US and a 61 OS is kniff edging. Either not enough power or enough rudder throw due to elevators. Have to admit it is a little slower, climb not as rapit or as high but over all satisfactory for an old toot.

MinnFlyer 12-21-2011 06:03 AM

I do not do it for the purpose of making the gear longer, I do it to keep it from tipping over when turning on the ground. I used to fly on a VERY course asphalt parking lot, so dropping a wingtip on taxi could seriously gouge a wingtip.

I only mention the longer gear because some people have had prop-clearance issues and this is a solution to that problem as well.

mrshea 12-21-2011 06:30 AM

i've been reading minn flyers build thread and i am going to do the flaps and i'm sure i'll be doing laps and tail dragger retracts. However i have one question and that is i see that minn flyer used nyrods to connect his ailerons to the srvo. I have heard that nyrods are subject to trim changes in different weather. I just curious if any one has experinced this or is this just someone being anal? Phil

MinnFlyer 12-21-2011 06:38 AM

I'm glad you said it. I have used nyrods for years and I have never noticed any trim changes and I fly in temp ranges from "Whew" to "Brrrrrr!"

Plus, suppose you DID find a trim change was needed... Isn't that what the trim buttons are for???

sirzepp 12-21-2011 06:46 AM

Ug...I wish mine had retracts now!  It's nice to have a simple sport plane, though...that 61 SF is like a timex watch...love it.  Still, if I run across a wing kit or salvage wing at some point I may retrofit to tail dragger w/ retracts.

mrshea 12-21-2011 07:01 AM

alright then Nyrods it is. this will be on the board after i finish the tiger 2 which should be in a few weeks. Next season will be fun. I'll have a tiger 2 a direct connection tsunami and and ultra sport .40. Does it get any better. phil