Community
Search
Notices
Kit Manufacturer Direct Support Forum Get support here directly from the manufacturers themselves or their official reps for the kits they manufacture or distribute.

First attempt at building

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:21 AM
TLC416

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt at building

I’ve been flying for some years now and have built few ARFs, and do all my own repairs. I have always thought that building a kit would be too tedious but for whatever reason I thought I would give it a try. I searched for a kit, that I thought would be an easy build and I found one that’s a three Chanel so I know it’ll be an easy, lazy flyer.
The kit is the American Eaglet by Spirit of Yesteryear. Not sure if it’s a “good” quality kit, since it’s the first I ever had in my hands, but it seems to be. I don’t want this to be a build blog but I’ll post pics as I go, for your interest but mainly for opinions and advise if you notice something that I need to be made aware of.
First off I’ll be changing to T pins thought, these ball pins work but they are rough on the fingers. Anyway, here are some pics as I get started. I had removed most of the pins before I took the pic with it on the plans so it’s not lined up perfect but it was glued exactly to the lines.
The instructions say to build one side then build other side on top of it. I know you want them to match but is that common practice, to build over the structure instead of plans?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	B4E7DDB9-E085-420B-8411-FB5214E39D11.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	743.1 KB
ID:	2250134   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD53B8BD-34B6-4CDC-A3D1-23E1C84EA488.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	2250135   Click image for larger version

Name:	099866A9-82C7-48F9-9DA7-3D6EABA837DA.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	692.5 KB
ID:	2250136   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB0F085B-D6FF-496E-8E1D-F0F705DB8F68.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	832.1 KB
ID:	2250137  
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I have never heard of build one side on top of the other. I always build on top of the plans.

Good luck with your build. I've found that I get the most enjoyment out of seeing a plane I build fly straight and try and the comments I got from my test pilot on how well they fly.

I know it's too late now but the best first kit to build is not always the easiest to fly but rather the one with the best build instructions and that usually means a 30 page or so booklet along with the plans. Top Flite and Great Planes make some great warbirds that are easy to build.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:18 AM
rgburrill

One more thing: read the instructions at least twice, three times if it's confusing. First time is just to read them to find the confusing parts and the mistakes in earlier instructions that don't show up until later. Second time to trial fit where there is confusion. Third time to do the actual build.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:51 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First, I suggest you start a construction thread on this site, Forums/RC Airplanes/Kit Building. Read some of the other posted there to get an idea how it is done. This is a great way to get help and advise. If you don't understand the advise ASK, we all want to help. Building your own airplane is very rewarding and there no better sense of accomplishment than when you your airplane fly. In beginning I always ask an experienced club member do the maiden flight.
1. Read each instruction step to the end of the build.
2. Always do the next step before move on to other steps, don't skip around. Post picture of your work on the step.
3. If you don't understand the step ASK the questions on your construction thread. You will get lots of help and advise. Do a dry assembly before you glue anything.
First, you can build over top of the fuselage frame work by placing WAX PAPER over it and then build directly over the other frame work. Always pin a little away from the glue joint, CA glue will seep through the wax paper.
Please post if you open a construction thread, I will follow along and help. You can some of my building posts on WWW.RCScaleBuilder.Com under jwrich. Check out My Gallery these are some of my planes I have built over the years. I have been building and Flying RC airplane for over 40 years.

Rich

Last edited by jwrich; 01-07-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I have never heard of build one side on top of the other. I always build on top of the plans.
Clearly you lead a deprived life. Just because you have never heard of it, does not mean anything other than you've never heard of it.

This has always been and still is quite common with a built up structure.

The purpose is to build the second side identical to the first side. This will never happen if you build the two sides separately over the plans. There will be numerous variations.

You simply leave the first side attached to the plans on your building board, lay a piece of non stick covering on top of that side and match up the build to the exact dimensions of the first side. Very easy, fast and accurate.

Usually, a sheet of waxed paper or clear plastic film such as Saran Wrap is used as the barrier between the two sides. The plastic film is preferred since the wax on the waxed paper can lead to inferior glue joints with some glues. In my experience, Saran Wrap is the best of the plastic films since none of our hobby glues, including CA stick to it. The CA will stick to many of the other plastic films which is a nuisance.

You get the plastic film in your grocery store. It comes on a roll in a cardboard box with a serrated metal cutting edge on one side. These films are in the section with aluminum foil, waxed paper and that sort of thing.

You can find excellent instructions on how build this way in the Sig manual for the 1/4 size Cubs, which are current kits by the way, which proves that this method of construction is currently in use. The manual is available for free download on Sig's site under the product support tab here:

Main Menu SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.

Look for the 1/4 size Cub, not the 1/6 or 1/5 sizes.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built the Spirit of Yesteryear Buzzard Bombshell. It was not the easiest model I have ever built. Unlike Sig, Top Flite and BASU's step by step, detailed, photo after photo construction novel, SOY leaves much to your building experience. I do like the "build one side over the other" technique, it guarantees each side is exactly the same. Take your time and enjoy. What are your plans for power? I used a Thunder Tiger .07. I liked the throttle control, but it needed a hand launch.

You've already gotten great advice. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah...WELCOME!!
Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason why you build one side on top of the other is to make sure both sides match. You do this by placing another sheet of waxed paper or clear plastic like visquene over the first frame up, then build over that one. You will then have both sides that match.
This is standard procedure for any plane built like yours.
Check out Sig Senorita or Senior.....both are stick built kits and instructions always tell you to build over the first frame up.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 AM
rgburrill

I guess I've never had a problem matching the plans. Both sides always match.

Last edited by rgburrill; 01-07-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:49 PM
TLC416

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Taking Rich’s advice and starting a construction thread. Gonna post pics as I build because I’m sure I’m gonna have to have some help and clairification as I go through this so bear with me, follow my thread and help me through this, please.
Thanks, Troy.