Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Caliber 30. 46-50 Engine conversion review.

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Caliber 30. 46-50 Engine conversion review.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 05:18 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliber 30. 46-50 Engine conversion review.

Ian,
Thanks man! This is the only reason I've been holding off buy a Caliber. I just did not want to go back to a 30 ship.

Looks like my credit card is going to get a workout in the next few days!

Mike
Old 08-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Tongie

Update:

I have now installed my conversion kit with an OS 50 and Hatori tuned pipe and header. It went together well, the only problems are what Vortexgen reported (fan screws and exhaust outlet) although I did have allot of trouble getting the clutch shaft off the old engine. I decided to put 50 sized carbon tail blades and make a carbon push rod which really does lock the tail.

First few tanks were running in, next few had me gobsmacked. The Caliber was built for this and it is absolutely awesome. There is so much more power it's brilliant. Like vortexgen I had to add expo to slow the cyclic down, the climb rate has to be seen to be believed.

This conversion kit is a must have for any serious flyer, get reaching for those wallets! Thanks to Vortexgen for locating the mod and testing it all out.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:13 PM
WillMac795

How would you say it compared to the R50?
Old 08-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Tongie

Never seen one fly but heard that they are ballistic also. If you have not got a caliber already the R50 is a cheaper option and the parts will be more readily available.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:20 PM
WillMac795

I've got a C30 just now and would get the 50 conversion kit if I could but I really need a new Tx. I think now that a 50 conversion kit is available, the C30 can really compete with the Raptor.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:15 PM
optech

Default RE: Caliber 30. 46-50 Engine conversion review.

Tongie,

Its great to hear about how your 50 ship flies. I have my Caliber now and am awaiting the conversion kit. It will probably be here tomorrow.

I've got another question for you. What mods did you do to your kit other than the conversion kit??? I understand Vortexgen's reasoning behind the the mods he did but I'm wondering how much of it is overkill so I wanted the opinion of someone else who has done the mod.

For me, Yes.... the links and rods have to go and the swashplate and blade grips look suspicious. Bracing the servo tray is something I will do but it would probably fly without it right away. Metal mixing and bell crank arms might look nice but the Raptor .50 flies with more flimsy looking versions.

Anyway, just wondering how yours is set-up.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Tongie

Hi Mike,

I should have ground the engine shaft shorter like Vortexgen did but I did not do it in the end as I appeared to have a good thread on them. The reality was that I did have a good thread but the buggers sheared off (both of them!) leaving part of the screws still in. Make sure that you do this mod, I have 2 more clutch shafts in the post and I am certainly going to cut the engine shaft this time and use longer screws.

Thanks for you detailed response to my swashplate interaction problem, I will have a good play with this over the weekend.

As for mods:

Blade grips - Yes, those blades seem allot larger than std

Alloy fan - Maybe, I run 15% nitro as its expensive for 30% in the UK so better for
cooling.

Mixer arms - No, look nice but don't add anything really

Swash - Not for the 50 upgrade but a definite improvement in control response

Other things that you need:

Header tank - The OS 50 is thirsty

Tuned pipe - Really gets that OS on song Mine is an Hatori one and I had to move the
canopy mount up to fit the header pipe.

Governor - essential as when I ran it without one it was pulling 11 degrees of positive pitch and it was still overreving whilst climbing! This is one powerful beast that needs taming with a Governor or you will be messing around with the throttle/pitch curves for ages. I use 1500 rpm in Norm, 1700 in Idle up 1 and 1750 in idle up 2

Carbon push rod - Made one of these as was not getting enough tail authority and also went for Raptor 50 carbon tail blades.

Seems allot but it's worth it! Keep up all posted on your experiences.

Cheers

Ian
Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 PM
optech

Hello Ian,

After thinking this over I decided to order the following;

Correct Clutch bell- Actually I'd ordered it along with the coversion kit as I didn't like the idea of a plastic one on a .50. I forgot to mention it in my previous post.

Quick UK- Blade grips (of course).

Quick UK- Cooling fan. I'd heard guys say that the plastic stock one loses blades with 30 engines. I'm not going to chance it on a .50.

Quick Uk- Mixing Arms and feathering spindle. Like you feel, not needed but they'll look nice and as long as I was paying shipping from the UK, I might as well make it worth my while. I like the idea of the stronger spindle. Probably not needed but it was cheap.

Quick UK- 2.3mm linkage rods. I'm going to use Min Air ball links so I figured the lengths out on a piece of paper using the stock rods then ordered the appropriate length UK rod packages. The stock stuff is really kinda scary.

Chris Kelle- Blue Carbon radio tray brace. Its really cool looking but can only be used with the CCPM set-up. This guy is small time and cuts them out at home (I think) but the part is excellent, works, and is only $15 shipped.

In the future I'll get the swashplate but I think I'll be okay without it for now. I'll also get the Kyosho upgrade aluminum radio tray braces to compliment the CK brace now that Tower will be carrying it. Not a high priority though.

Engine wise;
I just got the new Curtis Youngblood 50 size Muscle Pipe II (high ratio).

Already have a Quick UK- header tank.

Govenor- Next paycheck!

Good call on the tail pushrod and blades. I didn't think about them. I'll have to look around here and see what I can come up with or just use the stock stuff for a while.

Have fun,
Mike
Old 09-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Tongie

I have put some more pictures of the finished conversion kit on my website if anyone is interested it's www.modelhelis.com .

It's my first attempt at a site and I know it's crap but it's got some good pics on it.

Cheers

Ian

PS Vortexgen, hope you don't mind but I nicked one of your pics as I forgot to take a picture of the kit before I fitted it.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:54 AM
optech

Ian,

Here's a pic of my Caliber.

I don't know if you get over to RunRyder but I uploaded more picks of my conversion to my gallery there.

http://runryder.com/gallery/00171/

I've only flown about 1/2 of a gallon through it so far. The engine would not tune out properly and was losing power so I thought I had lost the rear bearing. Upon inspection it looks like I ingested something substantial. The piston/cylinder/ring are complete waste. I should have the parts in by Friday so maybe I'll get some more flights in this weekend.

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75330.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	63557  
Old 09-27-2003, 07:36 PM
corn_tortilla

I'm curious as to why everyone put the 50 in it... If the 50 still overpowers the caliber when at +10 degree pitch, why don't you buy a .46. It's cheaper, you may not need a governor and your less likely to waste horsepower correct???

OS32 = 1.1HP ~$139
OS46 = 1.8HP ~$119
OS50 = 2.2HP ~$189

Just curious?
Old 09-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Vortexgen

i want sheer brute raw power. 46 was never an option for me, didnt they (46) have heaps of problems so OS put out the 50 SHX?

why is the 46 cheaper than even the 32?

my only decision was TT or OS. Id rather have the power there when required, thats the whole reason for the conversion kit.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Tongie

In the Uk the price difference is only £20 so I went for the more powerful 50. I was running a Webra 35 competition which is supposed to pump out close to 1.5hp so I did not want to spend all that money on marginally improving the power even though I have to admit it felt far from 1.5hp at times.

I would think that its best to have too much power and not overwork the engine rather than not have enough? Isn't that why the 60 sized helis are moving towards 90 engines? I am sure if you ran one of these without a governor then you would find it hard to balance the power and pitch.

I guess its down to personal preference and how much you want to spend at the end of the day. I am sure that the 46 would be a vast improvement from a 32 and perhaps would give slightly longer flight times. Perhaps one of you guys will try a 46, the only benchmark I had was Vortexgen and I am glad I went for the 50, I am certainly not going to be in need of any more power!

Cheers

Ian
Old 10-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Sacha

Hello,

First, Sorry for my "bad" english.....

I'm owner of a Caliber 30 with OS32. I'd like to upgrade it to be able to install a OS46.

Maybe in few mounth, I'll install a OS52 4 stroke........wich is now in my nexus 30.

Where can I buy the engine holder (I don't known the exact term) and also the tail tube and transmission......

I live in Belgium (Europe).

Thanks a lot for your help!

Alex
Old 11-01-2003, 05:42 AM
Sacha

Hi!

First, sorry for my bad english...
[sm=frown.gif]

I've just buy the conversion kit and made some test.....incredible.

I've an OS46 with Hatori mufler.

I keep al the Caliber with its original parts exept the swachplate wich comes from Correct.

I'm now busy to convert the Caliber....46 into a Caliber 52 4 stroke!

To do that, I use the engine mounting kit from the 46 (the 52 has the sames dimensions) and need to modify the clutch gear (26T), the pulley (50T) and the belt.

Fortunatly, I found 2 pignon (32 and 40T) + a new belt wich comes from industry.

I just need to modify them a little bit with a lathe....

The gear ration was 1:9,615 and now.... 1:6,25

The engine works between 2000 and 12000 rpm....but this engine comes from my Nexus Legato and have a lot of problem with overspeed and overheating. To avoid those problems, it is very important to keep the engine under 10500 rpm.

So if the rotor head turns at 1550 rpm.....the engine turns at 9375 rpm....perfect.
At 1700 rpm....the engine turns at 10625 rpm and this is the maximum speed to keep the engine in good conditions.

I've not yet fly with it but it will come in the next weeks...

The reason why I choose this idea was the incredible quit side of the Caliber and also the OS52. I hope to have a heli where I just hear the noise of the wind in the rotor.....

I'll come back with good or bad news after the real fly test...!
Old 11-08-2003, 12:34 PM
KevinBourland

Nice conversion!

For those of you who are on a budget, just do a couple of simple mods, and an O.S.50 will drop right in the heli and fly great with the 550 blades, so, no expense except for the engine and muffler! What a great underated little heli!!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:42 AM
corn_tortilla

So after test flying my scaler mechanics (.30 size upgraded to a .46), I'll be putting an upgrade kit on order too. I couldn't believe how fast that thing would skyrocket into the air and not bog down. After just hovering it for a couple tanks with some pullouts, made me wonder why I fought with my .32 for so long.

Their is no replacement for displacement. I'll never put a .32 in anything again (Well, maybe my 1/8th Scale Buggy) [sm=cool.gif]

~Corn
Old 07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
nelo_001

hello , this is Louis from Belgium , i'would like to buy the 50-size-convesion kit for my caliber 30.Does anybody know where i can order it?
Thank you very much
Louis
Old 11-27-2005, 10:47 PM
AutoMike

Yes, I want just some of the parts. Can they be bought from someone in the USA? I just want the motor mount for my old OS 46SF-H. Thought this might be a great project for it. Thanks, Mike.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 AM
furyextreme

Hi Vortexgen

Please tell me if you have any info on the reversible main rotor grips for beginner and advanced

im looking at getting into the hobby and have been reading alot about the caliber 30 and all the reviews are very good so for me it will probably be a good start?

later bro

Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 AM
rhilvers

ORIGINAL: furyextreme

Hi Vortexgen

Please tell me if you have any info on the reversible main rotor grips for beginner and advanced

im looking at getting into the hobby and have been reading alot about the caliber 30 and all the reviews are very good so for me it will probably be a good start?

later bro

It's a great heli to fly! I wouldn't try the beginners mode of the caliber. I have been flying the Caliber for about a year now and tried the beginners mode. It is very slow in response and it scared the h*ll out of me. When you are flying on a sim also you want a heli that responses quick to your commands.

Succes