Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Concept 30 Clutch

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Kyosho Concept 30 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 04:57 PM
glock232

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Concept 30 Clutch

hi gang, think this is one of my first posts on here, and already i need to ask a question. Recently i got a hold of a Kyosho concept 30, the engine in it had bad compression because some knucklehead apparently jammed something in there and dinged the piston head. (previous owner replaced w/ this engine accuired from ebay) apparently he burned the clutch out and broke the crankshaft when trying to disassemble it. Me being a complete novice to the heli world, and being quite curious how things work, i went ahead and screwed the new clutch that the previous owner bought on, and now i cant get it off? how do you get the clutch off of the crank shaft. now i dont know what all the parts are called but there is a plastic sleeve that a piece of some kind of paper goes in which provides friction i assume to turn the engine over. the piece i can not unscrew sits inside this, and is a metal disc w/ slats cut out of either side which im assuming expand to provide the turn needed to start the engine? im not real sure about that, but thats my uneducated guess.. so basicaly how do you unscrew that metal disc out of the assembly?!??!

Thanks
Joe
Old 07-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Temps

Default RE: Kyosho Concept 30 Clutch

oh dear you will fiddle
ok heres the easy way youll need three screw divers put two divers into the holes in the clutch then with the third put it between the the other two horizontally and use it like a brace
Old 07-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Thrasherg

Okay, you first need to get something to stop the engine turning over. Usually its a small tool that takes the place of the glow plug, you unscrew the glow plug, then you screw this tool into the glow plug hole, then slowly rotate the crankshaft in the direction to unscrew the clutch until the piston comes into comtact with the tool that is screwed in to the glow plug hole. This now prevents the motor from turning over. You then need to find a way to apply a turning force to the clutch (it unscrews in the same direction as a normal bolt), this can be done using three screwdrivers as mentioned in the previous mail, otherwise you van make a tool that fits in the square groove cut across the clutch (this groove is there to engage with the fan that helps cool the engine. then gently unscrew the clutch. you can leave the tool in the glow plug hole to help you when you reinstall the clutch. The clutch does not need to be tightened very much (hand tight is okay) as it gets locked on by the nut that hold the fan in place.. The clutch lining is glued in place using a two part epoxy glue.

Regards Gary
Old 07-29-2004, 10:48 PM
n553302

The post before this one is correct, but if you would rather not be sticking objects in to the cylinder\piston area you can position the piston above the ports that lead into the crank case and fill the top of the cylinder with motor oil (like for your car) put an old glow plug back in and you have built a hydraulic crank lock. I remove the residue of the oil with a few Q-tips, swabbing through the exhaust port and glow hole. This works fine and will not damage the piston or glow threads.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 PM
parabellum

one strange fact is that kyosho manual tells to use the piston stopper that goes into glow plug hole, where as OS engine manual tell you not to do so.

any how, if you don't have such tool, it is of no use.

you could open the back plate of the engine, and insert 1/3" thick rod into the
crankshaft (there is round hole).
connecting rod will be stopped by the inserted rod.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: parabellum

one strange fact is that kyosho manual tells to use the piston stopper that goes into glow plug hole, where as OS engine manual tell you not to do so.

any how, if you don't have such tool, it is of no use.

you could open the back plate of the engine, and insert 1/3" thick rod into the
crankshaft (there is round hole).
connecting rod will be stopped by the inserted rod.
The best method for this is to remove the backplate and insert the handle of an old tooth brush. Something wooden like a dowel will break and something metal can score engine parts. The car guy's have been using the piston lock tool for years but I don't like the thought of poking a hole in the top of my piston.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:38 PM
konaboy

All those ideas are good, heres another one for ya: uncoil thin nylon or cotton rope down the plug hole until the piston can't pass, make sure you don't pinch it between the ports. I like the oil method myself.