Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Caliber .30 setup

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Caliber .30 setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:11 AM
jduran280

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliber .30 setup

Last week, I assembled and set up a new Caliber .30. This is my first helicopter. I don't know of any heli flyers nearby, and I haven't had a chance to drive the 2 hours to Heliproz, where they've offered to check over the caliber. Here's my concern: After i finished setting up the heli according to what the manual said was appropriate for my radio, I noticed that the throttle was working backward. (manual said to reverse that channel). So, I un-reversed the throttle. When I took it out for it's maiden hover, I started the heli and as I would throttle up, I noticed that the training gear would 'flatten' as I brought the throttle/collective stick up. Upon further investigation, I noticed that the pitch and aileron functions operated in reverse too. (move the aileron stick to the right, and the heli would tilt left, pull the pitch stick back and the heli would tilt forward). In the manual it says to reverse the Swash AFR functions for Ail and Elev. I had to reverse pitch, and Elev, and give the ail a positive value. After making these changes, the helicopter seems to be reacting properly to the transmitter inputs. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here is the equipment I use:

Futaba 9c w/ 149 PCM reciever
JR DS811 servos
Gy401/9254
Old 07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
echobot

Default RE: Caliber .30 setup

A couple of things come to mind. Are you setup for electronic mixing of mechanical mixing?

If you are using electronic mixing it could be your swash plate settings are reversed. That is you are using a negative number when it should be a positive number.

Another thing could be that you have the arm on the wrong side of the servo and that would reverse your settings.

Also, if you look at the book for the Caliber setup pay close attention to where the bell cranks are located in regards to electronic/mechanical mixing. This is where I screwed up the first time.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:27 PM
jduran280

I'm using Electronic mixing, and I checked, and re-checked a few times to see that the servo horns were on correctly, the tail was on upright, and that the gyro was reacting properly. It seems to be working ok now, but it just seems that something I've done must have been wrong, otherwise, I'd think the manual would have documented it. Would this have anything to do with the fact that the transmitters in the U.S. operate in a different mode than the ones in Japan (I think they use Mode 1 with the pitch on the left stick, and the throttle on the right)
Old 07-14-2004, 03:39 PM
nheli

jduran,

heres what you will do: for 9c
first go to parameters scroll down to type and then heli choose the sr3 swash.,set up your model name go to basic and put the name you want for your heli., reverse the no. 3 and 6 servo and then go to swash arf on the basic menu put the aileron and elev.to -100 thats it and then adjust the pitch and your good to go. Please do not fire the helicopter engine when checking your servo if its going the right way your waiting for a disaster to happen. Just turn on your receiver and heli to check if the servos ang going to their right direction. Good luck and be carefull man those blades can cut you. get an experience flier if you can that wouldbe good for you and your heli.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:44 PM
parabellum

it get's rather confusing, because futaba sr3 swash is 60 180 300 and caliber is 0 120 240.

so you have to read both caliber manual and futaba manual carefully, and do a very hard thinking to sort things out.

9c has servo reverse but that's not the only thing. there is "SWASH AFR" that also does something similar to servo reversing and also does mixing adjustment. which you need to use to set up 0 120 240 type swash.

read the page 79 on your 9c manual carefully.

at the end, you need to recheck whether the movement of swash corresponse to the movement of your tx sticks.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:27 PM
nheli

yeah I have a caliber and also using 9chp. that setup that I gave you works,put it on sr3 just reverse the no. 3 and 6 and then go to swash arf and put the ail. and elev. to -100 thats it. Set up your pitch and throtle curve and your ready to rock.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:15 PM
jduran280

Thanks. I had read both manuals carefully, and I understand that with the CCPM mixing, there isn't really an "aileron" servo, or a "pitch" servo, since those functions are a mix of 2 or 3 servos, and that's where the Swash AFR settings come in - reversing a function in swash afr will reverse a whole function (aileron, elevator etc...). If i were to set up the heli as you've stated (ail and elev to -100), the aileron function would be reversed. I do have the #6 servo reversed, but when I reverse #3, the throttle is on full when the stick is pulled all the way back (I know about checking the throttle arm before starting - I learned the hard way, and if I wouldn't have had a good grip on the rotor head, I'd have been in real trouble) I'm going up to the shop now to re-recheck stuff out, and taking the manuals with me...
Old 07-16-2004, 12:57 PM
nheli

THat set up should work, maybe you messed up with some of the settings. factory settings plus that set up should work. try this link this will help you http://www.raptortechnique.com/radiosetup.htm. JUst follw the instructions except for the swash arf, sr3, and servo reversing no. 3 and 6.

Erwin
Old 07-18-2004, 09:33 PM
srtneon

i built a caliber 30 , had someone try to help, but it seems like he i s snowing me,im wondering if there someone in danvers area that is willing to help me,if so please get back to me,,im going to try to setup my radio myself ,I want to set it up as ecm,well if there is anyone in the danvers are thats willing to help ,please let me know
Old 09-02-2004, 10:53 PM
helidreamer-RCU

Hello, I was wondering what type of SWash (ccpm) mixing do i need to set for the Cali 30 if i have a RD8000. And what servos do i need to reverse. I know this should be a topic (i'm too lazy) so i just use fast reply
Old 09-02-2004, 10:53 PM
helidreamer-RCU

oh ya any response appreciated thanks!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:13 PM
TMooreATX

helidreamer-RCU

Why don't you download the setup manual from the Kyosho Japan website and follow the directions? http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/download...g/index-e.html

The 9C instructions are there too.

TM
Old 09-05-2004, 10:50 PM
helidreamer-RCU

Hey Tmoore for some reason when ever i click on the adobe acrobat symbol right opposite the sanwa rd6000m what happens is that it brings up the instructions of the EVO rc car.? Do you know how to fix this. Thanks for the advice though!
Old 09-05-2004, 11:18 PM
TMooreATX

Bad hyperlinks on their website has done it.

If you want the file send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you.

TM
Old 09-09-2004, 08:24 PM
helidreamer-RCU

Hey Tmoore i PMed you and gave you my e-mail but you still haven't answered what up? Have you not checked your PMs yet? And maybe you want me to confirm my e-mail thanks
?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:21 PM
rreeves
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys I was just wondering if these same setting can be done on the 7 CHP as well as I got a great deal on a caliber 30 and the 7 CHP but from different parties This is my First computer Tx and I'm looking for all the info I can find while I await their arrival Thanks
Old 02-05-2005, 10:36 PM
TMooreATX

The 7chp and the 9c CCPM functions work the same.

TM
Old 02-05-2005, 10:58 PM
rreeves

Sweet you guys are a great help
Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 01:53 AM
rreeves

Hi again I got my 7 CHP setup as mentioned above but I'm still trying to figure out which throttle and pitch curves would be best till I get familiar with the setup. Should I go with the normal curves shown in the 7 CHP manual or the 20,40,50,60,100 throttle curve the raptor setup uses. Any Ideas I'm beginning to feel like a newbie again with this computer Tx
Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2005, 12:07 PM
rreeves

Hi again I got everything setup just as mentioned above and everthing works good except I'm trying to set the throttle end points to match the carb travel and the radio seems to only allow me to adjust only one side any ideas on how I can correct this I'm still going through the manual over and over again but some advice would be great Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 PM
fromme2u
My Feedback: (1)

Hey rreeves,

I also, recently got a caliber with the 7CHP. here's what I got: 4-S3151 servos, 1-S9254 T/R servo with GY401 gyro. If you go into the reversing menu on the radio I got channels 1,2, and 3 reversed. HR3 type swash, with Ail @ +76, Ele @ +97, and Pit @-75. My gyro is set to: DS Sw to ON, and Rev switch set to Rev. Delay at 0 and limit to 100. Hopefully this will help you out. I'm still messing with throttle and pitch curves if anybody has any idea's. I have my Gyro setup on sw B with UP @A 75% and DN @N 30%. It still wants to yaw alittle so these settings are good starting points. Well The AVCS is. I put it in Normal today and It started spinning pretty bad. I hurried up and put it back in AVCS (sw B up). Today was the first time I got it up in the air because of a training gear failure a week ago. I busted the tail gear housing and a blade when one of the training dowels slipped and cause my helo to go tail first in the ground when I brought it down. Notice the new Maverikk tail blades instead of the stock white ones. Yeah, it sucked. Helo never left the ground cause of the gyro settings being wrong, then boom, BROKEN!!! I uploaded some pics of my helo after I got the parts and fixed it up. Hope my advice works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80459.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	232940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21912.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	232941  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 AM
rreeves

Thanks fromme2u,
Nice looking Heli. Though I was wondering why you chose a different swashplate setup from the one recommended in the manual for the Caliber 30 which was the sr3. I still can't find the info on the pitch curve setup I want for the beginners setup which only uses the positive end of the pitch setting so you don't drive the heli into the ground while you get used to it. Sooner or later I'll find it . is it normal for the main drive belt to ride high on the clutch pulley?
Thank You
Old 02-22-2005, 01:52 PM
fromme2u
My Feedback: (1)

The HR3 setting on the 7CHP is the same as SR3 in the 9C I quess. There is no SR3 setting in the 7CHP. If you look in the 7CHP manual on pg 61, it explains the different swash plate settings. If you set you CAL-30 up with eCCPM then your running 120 degree swashplate, which is HR3. At the top of that page it also say what type of helo the Cal-30 is. Hope this explains it. Not sure about the belt. Next time I fly i'll take a look at it. Have fun.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:24 AM
rreeves

yes your correct I was thinking of the 9C settings listed in the earlier post. I'm waiting on my new parts to come in. I bought a used Caliber Thinking the guy was being honest when I should have bought a new one and built it up myself. so I can't even start it up till I replace the parts that are damaged by the time I'm done I'll have spent enough to buy two new ones Oh well we live and learn. but atleast when I fire it up I know it will be right. Thanks for all your input
Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 AM
eddgreene

I was wondering what pitch curve should be good for a beginer? throttle curve also. i I got on all 3 setting for pitch -4 dwn and +9 up and mid stick about 3. if this is good let me know the last time i tried to fly it i had it set well above 10 and 50 $ later i rebuilt it and tried again i am on my second try. i think that the mix of the 2 wrong setting took it down. I have a futaba 7chp and futaba 3151 digital servos. let me know any advice will be helpfull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.