Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Kyosho Are You Out There?.

Old 07-22-2002, 04:59 PM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Kyosho Are You Out There?.

I just finished building my Caliber 30 . Its a very nice helicopter. May be the best 30 on the market except for one thing, the canopy. Not only is it Butt ugly down to the tail bone but to make matters worse the decals will not stick to it. I thought putting the decals on would make it better but I guess I'll fly it without the canopy until someone makes one for it. Kyosho, who designed the canopy?. I'm sure its not the same guy who developed the helicopter. This fact alone will cost you many sales. You've done this little trick with the plastic clorox bottle canopy with every Kyosho heli I've ever seen. You make a good heli and still put a cheap canopy in the kit. Come on I'm sure most pilots would be willing to spend a few more bucks in order to get a better canopy. Get with the program. :stupid:
Old 07-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Kyosho Are You Out There?.

Originally posted by ghost
I just finished building my Caliber 30 . Its a very nice helicopter. May be the best 30 on the market except for one thing, the canopy. Not only is it Butt ugly down to the tail bone but to make matters worse the decals will not stick to it. I thought putting the decals on would make it better but I guess I'll fly it without the canopy until someone makes one for it. Kyosho, who designed the canopy?. I'm sure its not the same guy who developed the helicopter. This fact alone will cost you many sales. You've done this little trick with the plastic clorox bottle canopy with every Kyosho heli I've ever seen. You make a good heli and still put a cheap canopy in the kit. Come on I'm sure most pilots would be willing to spend a few more bucks in order to get a better canopy. Get with the program. :stupid:
Hey, I liked it when I owned it.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:41 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a) you knew how it looked before you bought it
b) bleach bottle canopies are pretty much standard (the program) and a lot of people are NOT willing to pay the extra buck for a glass canopy. i like to pay $30 less for the kit and get a bleach bottle.
c) glass canopy is much more likely to break in a crash
d) stick the stickers on and clear coat it, that should keep em on
e) if you plan to fly without canopy until someone makes a better one, you might be in for the long haul.
f) i really can not recommend flying without canopy...

good luck (finally my raptor looks pretty good... )
Old 07-22-2002, 05:45 PM
Steve Campbell2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The bleach-bottle canopies can USUALLY be made to look quite decent; with a bit of patience and work.

I've owned a half-dozen Concepts, and am still flying one. The mylar decals that came with those produced-in-Japan kits were great. All you had to do was wash the canopy (after cutting it out), clean with alcohol, apply the decals properly, coat the edges with a bit of fuel-proofer, and they would last practically forever.

My big Sluggo (JR Ergo 60 Sport)) was my first glimpse of this type of canopy that would NOT keep decals on. I dunno whether it was the canopy material- which seemed "slicker" than that used on the original Concepts- or the decals, the quality of which was definitely inferior to the Kyosho ones. Here, you had to apply the decals, squeegee them out, then immediately apply thin CA around the egdes; if not, they would be coming up shortly.

A bit of research turned up the fact that some of the poly-vinyl-chloride plastics (which family this stuff is a member of) "out-gas" for some time after being molded; that is, they exude vapors, etc., which will interfere with decal adhesive, paint, primer, whatever. I have noticed that Nexus canopies have a "pebble" texture, where the Concept canopies were quite smooth. I have seen and flown a Caliber 30, but I didn't get around to looking closely at the canopy.

Where I'm going with this is that, quite possibly, Kyosho has gone to a different type of plastic that doesn't accept decals as well. It wouldn't be the first time they cut some major corners in an effort to increase profits. After losing a big chunk of their market share when they dropped the Concept in favor of the Nexus, you would think they had learned something from that...

Anyway, try the thin CA trick. It can be terribly messy if you rush it, but a bit of care and patience will give you good results.

Steve
Old 07-22-2002, 09:26 PM
ghost-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ugly canopy

First of all I did not know it was their usual clorox bottle canopy because I mail ordered it, so don't make assumptions!. JR uses plastic to make their canopies and it has a semi-gloss finish to it decals stay down pretty good. Why can't Kyosho do the same. There are six large decals for the windscreen. No matter how hard you try it is not possible to keep those decals down without a clear coat. I'm not saying I want a fiberglass canopy in each kit I buy, The point I'm trying to make here is that kyosho could use some other plastic material in the manufacturing of their canopies. If you are worried about saving a few bucks maybe you should find another hobby. Its not smart to fly a heli without a lid, I do agree with you there.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Bill F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My decals went on ok except for the windsheild ones but that was my fault. And who really cares about the canopy when it is a good machine under it.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:46 PM
flmgrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: ugly canopy

Originally posted by ghost
...If you are worried about saving a few bucks maybe you should find another hobby....
get an extreme or similar and you will get what you pay for...
the caliber is an entry level heli (and so is the pricing) and is trying to compete with raptor and similar.
bleach bottle, plastic or fiberglass - i paint them anyway... and it all stays on
so if YOU are not worried about the money than you should have gotten a 60 or 90 size, not a 30

cheers
Old 07-22-2002, 11:58 PM
ghost-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have 60 size heli's you jerk !

Hey be nice--furyflyer2
Old 07-23-2002, 01:08 AM
flmgrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would appreciate if you would keep this forum in a nice tone. there is no reason to call anybody anything...
but your offensive language just shows why you are easily upset about a bleach bottle or plastic canopy or whatever it is. as long as it flies good, who cares? and if you use automotive primer, paint and clear you even can include the stickers if you like. and it'll last you a lifetime.

BTW i am really curios (and i mean i want to know) why do you buy a 30 size, when owning a 60? i really mean to find out and i am not trying to tease you or be (as you would say) a jerk.

thank you
Old 07-23-2002, 02:01 AM
ghost-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like flying all heli's 30s & 60s. Why make such a nice 30 size heli and a cheap canopy. What do you work for Kyosho?. This forum is for good and bad comments about a companies products. Now go away!
Old 07-23-2002, 02:38 AM
flmgrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no i do not work for kyosho.
and i sure have talked bad (and good) about products or companies on RCU before. but i stay away from insulting any other member of this forum. nor will your provocative way and style make me start doing that. so i would suggest we both stick around and enjoy our hobby and talk about that...

thank you and have a nice day
Old 07-23-2002, 04:25 AM
KevinBourland
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flmgrip, you mention auto primer, do you use the stuff for rubber bumpers, or what? I would like to try painting an Ergo canopy, do you have any suggestions?

---Yep, decals can get frustrating at times, I use a little heat, and apply wendix to surface and the sqeeugy the bubbles out. Sometimes it works, sometimes I peel and try try again.LOL

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-23-2002, 01:35 PM
flmgrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i use epoxy primer which is a two component primer, followed buy a white base-coat, then color and last a clear and a flow clear coat with catalyst.
it's a bit more hassle and you need a spray gun and all that, but i like it and it looks really good when it is done and it stays on.
i get all the coats and color from www.innate.com talk to nate, he is super nice and helps any way he can.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:02 PM
KevinBourland
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thankyou, I will send you picks when I get it finished( next month)

Kevin