Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Good rotor rpm for caliber 30

Old 03-19-2005, 07:03 AM
aerocharger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Good rotor rpm for caliber 30

Hello,

I'm starting to gain some experience flying a caliber 30 as my first nitro powered heli. I wanted to know what a good rotor head rpm would be for normal flying and some light aerobatics like loops and rolls.

Thanks
A.C.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Good rotor rpm for caliber 30

1800 to 2000 Rpm
Old 03-19-2005, 01:40 PM
RotorNut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I helped a friend setup his caliber and we found that the caliber likes lower head speeds probably due to the drive type. For normal flight mode 1550 rpm worked real good and for stunt or idle up no higher than 1800 with carbon blades or no higher than about 1750 with woodies. Going higher seemed to cause some stress on the drive. Just a warning also the caliber rpms sound like they are lower than they really are. I wouldn't recommend setting rpm by ear unless you're use to the sound of this heli. Very quiet bird compared to most other heli's
Old 03-19-2005, 05:22 PM
rander1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think 1550 might be a little low, the lower the rpm the less response you get from the cyclic. I would reccommend 1650-1750 normal, and 1850 idle up. NO higher than that. Also if your going to start spinning up the blades make sure you glue the blade roots, this is VERY important.

Good luck,

Rob
Old 03-19-2005, 11:25 PM
RotorNut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1550 on a lot of machines does seem low but on the caliber it likes it, cyclic response is still excellent and the machine is very stable in a hover at 1550 perfect for a newbie. I wouldn't recommend 1550 on any other 30 size machine I've flown without a few mods to the flybar and paddles. Still plenty of cyclic and tail authority at 1550 for any normal flight maneuver.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:59 AM
TMooreATX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your Caliber may like 1550 but mine certainly won't. Too low a head speed will induce the wobbles. I'm running CX style Dampners and a Correct head and it won't run under 1900 without wobbling. Besides, the plastic head liked the high rpm and so does the 37 and Toki muffler.

Each to his own. On the Caliber, a lower headspeed means lower disk rigidity and that translates into boom strikes the first time you try to do any poorly executed collective pumping maneuver.

TM
Old 03-20-2005, 03:44 AM
RotorNut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not trying to get into a pissing contest here but if you can't run under 1900 rpm sounds to me like you got a head problem allowing to much free flapping angle or to much damped flapping which would also explain the problem of boom striking and wobbles as I have really put some abuse on my friends caliber and have not seen any tendency for boom strikes. As far as collective pumping that's not generally done in normal flight mode its done in idle up for the collective response.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:34 PM
aerocharger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks everyone for your input. I will probably try a head speed of around 1700 as I am using wood blades and I'll seehow that works out and report back...

Rob, can you explain exactly what you mean by gluing the blade roots?

Thanks,
A.C.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:08 PM
rander1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OHH MAN.....

ok this is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

to glue the blade roots, you should have 2 plastic peices that go on the top and bottom of each blade. Then there should be screws that go through each blade to tighten the 2 plastic peices to the blade. This is where you bolt your blade to the head. So you have 4 plastic peices for every 2 blades... attach the plastic peices to the blade without screwing them together.. then trace around the outer edge of the plastic peices with a hobby knife. This will allow you to remove the blade covering in the area directly under the plastic peices that you attach to each blade.

Do this for each blade, top and bottom.

Then remove the plastic peices and peel away the blade covering. When done you should have the wood exposed on both sides of the blade in the shape of the plastic peices. Then mix some 30 minute epoxy, or use THICK CA, and apply the glue to the exposed wood on each side of the blade. then attach the plastic peices and screw them together. This is very important as if you ever reach RPM over 1750 (or something like that) the blades wont shear off your heli. This is a safety issue, and everyone should be doing this.

Notice: Let is dry for an hour or so before using. And this is also not nessessary for Carbon or Glass blades, only wood.

Thats it,

Your head is now safe!!

good luck,

Rob
Old 03-21-2005, 09:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also used to take some thin CA and saturate the exposed wood on the end to keep fuel and such from getting under the covering. Both ends if you are using the after market Helimax blades that have a squared off tip.

Interestingly enough, the wood blades that come with the Raptor 50, the directions indicate that gluing the blade grips is freaking optional. Maybe for static display but surely not for flying.