Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

caliber 30 crash...need advice

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

caliber 30 crash...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caliber 30 crash...need advice

I just crashed my Caliber 30. Broke the main blades and sheared some teeth on the rotor shaft gear. No problem there... easy fix. But, it also broke the frame where it's circled in the pictures. That's $40 to replace. I'm not that concerned about the money, but it seems that it would be very time consuming to replace. I was wondering if there is a way to fix the frame. Would epoxy stick well enough? Any other suggestions for glue? Or, am I better off to replace the whole thing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68287.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	320046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18200.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	320047  
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: caliber 30 crash...need advice

If it were anywhere else I'd say Epoxy or Cyano it. But thats the mainshaft bearing support collar and is a high stress part of the frame. So I'm afraid it's a total strip down and re-build job. Also check the mainshaft and feathering spindle for bends.

The Caliber isn't a hard heli to work on, but some of the screws can be a ***** to get out. It seems they used high strength locktight when built in China.

Ian F.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Yeah, that's pretty much what I feared. I guess I'll start stripping it down. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM
heli-cuzz

Good advice from Cyberfyn. Make sure you check the entire heli nose to tail. The smallest of problems can bring a heli down.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Well, the parts should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be flying again this weekend. I've looked the rest over and it seems OK. Is there anything in particular I should check? The main shaft is true, but I'm not sure about the feathering spindle since I don't know what that is[X(] I'm assuming you mean the shaft that is driven by the belt and has a steel gear that drives the main shaft. It's refered to the "counter shaft" in my book. I won't know about that until I tear it apart. I don't want my heli sitting in pieces while I wait for parts for fear I won't remeber what goes where. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep posting my progress.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:21 AM
Cyberfyn

The feathering spindle is the shaft that runs between the blade grips and through the top of the main shaft yolk. You sometimes can't see a bend even if it's there. The best way to find a bent shat is to roll it on a mirror or marble kitchen top. When re-building, don't rush it. Make sure everything is true and turns with no resistance. Make sure all metal to metal fixings are threadlocked (blue) and check that all the settings and servos anre centrered.

AN don't let it stop you flying. Get back on the horse

Ian F.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:06 AM
-pkh-

It's definitely best to replace a cracked chassis... there aren't many places on the chassis that aren't critical for support or alignment of critical parts. I had to replace one side of the chassis on two of my Raptor 50s, but luckily they were opposite sides, and one replacement chassis took care of them both! So save the good 1/2 of the chassis if you have one... it may come in handy later on!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Thanks for the explanation. Just a quick history to explain my ignorance. All my heli experience is limited to my G2 and my nitro LMH. The LMH is a fun little copter, but I've flown the rotors off it and am getting bored. This is my first collective heli so I'm learning as I go. Yeah, I'm not going to rush the rebuild. If everything goes well, I might get it ready this weekend, but I'll take as much time as it takes.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:41 AM
heli-cuzz

good luck on your next fite. Remember, if something doesn't seem right, don't fly until you locate the prob.

h-c
Old 09-10-2005, 07:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

That's an excellent and often overlooked point. Your heli will usually talk to you when somethings wrong. Many crashes are caused by not listening. When something doesn't "feel" right or something all the sudden "sounds" strange its time to land, shut down, and find out whats going on.

My tail started acting nutty on the 2nd or 3rd flight of the day. I landed immediately and found the gyro tape all but gone. Another few seconds I would have been flying around (not for long) with the gyro hanging by its wires.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

I'm trying to get back on the horse, but am getting frustrated. My main gear is back-ordered, I broke one of the body-mounts when I took it off, and upon closer inspection, it appears that the mainshaft is bent. I rolled it on a mirror and couldn't detect any bends, but when I reassembled it (with the old main gear installed for now ) and it seems to have a very slight wobble. I might just be imagining it. I don't know if I should order a new one to be safe, or if I can put it back together and see how it goes. What would happen if I spun up the rotor with a bent main shaft? Right now (unless I'm talked out of it) I'm going to put it back together and slowly spin up the rotor. If there is a bend, I would think it would be obvious then. I'm still waiting on my main gear, so it'll be awhile before I get her in the air again.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:23 PM
hotshabit
My Feedback: (1)

My buddy flies a Caliber and I fly a Raptor, we were thinking that with just a little modification(new holes in the landing gear)that the raptor landing gear would fit on the caliber and the raptor gear is a little bit wider making the caliber a little more freindly for beginning pilots to land easier.

*edit* after rereading his post I realized he meant the main drive gear and not the landing gear........my bad.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:27 PM
BarracudaHockey

Thats an excellent point though, the caliber gear seems very narrow in comparison to other models.

Heliproz has some after market gear that fits any 30 that sits a little lower and a lot wider than cali stock gear.

If the shaft doesn't tap tap tap when you roll it on glass its probably not bent. Something else may be out of whack however. Spin it up very slowly and see whats up.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:52 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey
Heliproz has some after market gear that fits any 30 that sits a little lower and a lot wider than cali stock gear.
I rebuilt a crashed Raptor 50 that I picked up cheap, and used the Mavrikk Super Gear on it instead of the stock gear... very nice and inexpensive! It's lower and wider than stock Raptor gear, and the skids are a larger diameter aluminum tubing. It already has a bunch of holes to fit most 30/50 sized helis. I'm considering replacing my other R50V2's stock gear with this Super Gear as well!

Here's a link to it if you're interested:
http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...?number=803935
Old 09-15-2005, 08:03 AM
BarracudaHockey

I have 3 concept vr's and was surprised how narrow the caliber gear seems. I think its the same as the concepts but the caliber is taller so it made it seem worse than it was. They would seem very prone to tip overs to me.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:22 AM
hoj527
My Feedback: (1)

The gear from Quick UK is also wider and larger tubing on the skids. Its available in different colors, too. You can get it at Rick's RC Helicopters - www.ronlund.com. At about $15, not too bad a replacement cost.

Link to their catalog page: http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=QUK

Bob
Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Sunday Flyer52

Regarding the crash and the possibility of a bent main shaft, I would strongly recommend replacing it anyway as everything revolves around the main shaft. Its not worth taking a riskn and it is not very expensive. I have done exactly what you did, and broke the frame in the same place as well as bent the main andf feathering shafts, and taken teeth off the main gear, so replace the parts on spec and you won't regret it.

The bolts that are screwed into the end of the feathering shart on mine were difficult to remove as I needed to have a hex wrench on both bolts to see which one came loose first. You really only need to remove one so you can take the shaft out through the blade holders. The instructions mention to pay attention to the thrust bearings in the blade grips as they are oriented in a particular manner to operate correctly. Make sure you pay attention otherwise the blades will not rotate freely around the feathering shaft. Use blue locktight when replacing the bolts as you really don't want to loose a blade holder in flight.

You should also look (with a magnifying glass) at the blade holders in case there is a hairline crack in the plastic at the base of each "tab" where the blade bolt goes through. After a couple of crashes I replaced my on spec to be safe.

Please note the voice of (crash) experience here. Once you have replaced those things you will probably be OK to run it up.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Sunday Flyer52

One more thing I just remembered is that you will have to reset the radius block orientation when you replace the main shaft (see the instructions) WRT the flybar. If you do not, the cyclic inputs will tilt the rotors incorrectly and you will not be able to fly the heli. This is clearly shown in the instructions and is a MUST DO.

WRT you name, remember if we didn't have gravity, everyone could fly a heli with no problem. I don't think we would want that as it wouldn't be as much fun as learning how.

I have had mine for about 3 years now and when my knees stop shaking, I enjoy the flight!!

Good luck and don't let this mishap stop you.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

As far as the main shaft, I agree with the advice. So much so in fact - I've already heeded it. When I posted earlier that I didn't detect a bend in the shaft, I didn't know what I was looking for. It wasn't until barracudahockey said that it would tap tap tap when rolled on the glass that I realized that it was indeed bent. I guess I didn't really know what I was looking for when I put it on glass. I don't know what I'd do without the great advice as this site. FYI, I've also ordered a new spindle shaft and I checked the website that I ordered the parts from, and my main rotor gear is now in stock. I should get the remaining parts soon and hopefully get this thing back in the air. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:56 AM
BarracudaHockey

Glad to help.

Wish I had this when I got started. There was like one person in southern maryland that flew heli's at the time and it was between him and the occasional tidbit from magazine articles was all the help we had.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

I've heard alot of good things about the customer service at heliproz, unfortunately I can't share the sediments. When I initially found that my main rotor gear was back-ordered, I called heliproz to find out what their policy was. I was planning on ordering the main shaft and was hoping that I could just get it shipped when the main gear got in. I was told that the back ordered part would be shipped as soon as it got in and that if I ordered any new parts that they would have to be shipped immediately. The guy I talked to on the phone seemed like he had something better to do and was trying to get me off the phone as soon as possible. I got off the phone and ordered the main shaft on-line. I later found out that their policy is to cancel any back-ordered items that are under $20. [:@]So, I had to re-order my main gear. I'm only out another $6 on shipping and an extra few days waiting for my part, but I'm pretty annoyed that the guy I originally talked to didn't tell me that my order had been canceled. If I had known, I would have ordered my main gear when I ordered my main shaft and I would have had all the parts and had my heli flying again. I can't really blame anyone but myself since their policy on back-ordered items is on their web page, but I certainly wouldn't say that their customer service is anything to brag about. I just had to vent a little. Hopefully I'll get this thing flying soon.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:42 AM
snappa

http://www.rcheliworks.net/ I have had nothing but awsome service from this company,,,even when they sent me a new main gear and I discovered it was not running true,,they sent me a new one at no cost to me,,,and I live in New Zealand!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:46 AM
snappa

the best investment you can put on your caliber is 1--throttle jockey,,2--fma co-pilot will save you alot of greif and helps you get your confidence back,,,,see my thread cheap and easy mods
Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

Ditch the copilot and spend the money on a sim and fuel.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Just a quick update. I have all the parts and would have the thing back together if it weren't for a slight oversight on my part. I have everything assembled and all but two screws installed. As luck would have it, the last two screws I tried to put in were the ones next to the bottom bearing of the main shaft. That's when I noticed that there was nothing for the screws to thread into. [:@] Soon thereafter I noticed that I didn't install one of the metal things. I'm not sure what they're called but they are pieces of metal that the screws thread into on either side. I now have to take everything back apart to put the one piece back in[:@][:@]I'll post again when I get time to fix my mistake.
Also, I noticed I didn't specify the cause of the crash. It's not that I don't know how to fly a heli, it's just that I got a little overconfident. I had already burned three tanks of fuel through the copter just getting a feel for it and getting it setup. I didn't have the canopy on because I knew that I might have to adjust things while I was setting it up. When I did get everything setup, I should have put the canopy on. I didn't and proceeded to take it up and start flying laps around the field. I was pretty far away, and lost orientation of the heli. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't have the canopy on. I thought it was rolling one way I went to correct, but it was rolling the other way and I put it in the ground. It's an expensive lesson, but I've learned to take it slower next time around. And I'm not flying again w/o the canopy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.