Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

How to get negative pitch for Idle1/2?

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

How to get negative pitch for Idle1/2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:36 PM
dporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get negative pitch for Idle1/2?

Please forgive me if this is covered somewhere - I searched for "negative collective" and "idle up" but couldn't find anything for the Caliber 30.

Can anyone explain the Idle up 1/2 setup for a Caliber 30 so a new guy can understand? Specifically, how do I get negative collective? I have the linkages and servo arms in the proper positions according to the manual and can hover in Normal, but when I try to set up Idle 1 or 2 I get no negative pitch no matter what I set the percentages to.

I.e., the stick is all the way down in Idle 1/2 but the blades remain at the Normal position (about 1 degree +). The values are already at 100% so there is no more available. If I set the pitch negative with the linkages, it messes up the Normal configuration.

The Caliber manual doesn't show how to set negative pitch, and the Futaba 8U manual doesn't explain either other than to set an ATV value.

I know I'm missing something simple. Can anyone help, or send me to a relevant post?

(BTW, I'm still looking for a complete Caliber setup if anybody has it available.)

Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: How to get negative pitch for Idle1/2?

What transmitter are you using? It could be something as simple as you dont have the pitch curve enabled correctly in your radio.

In general you set your helicopter up so that at 100 percent atv (or something close to it and equal on both sides) gives you the max throw that your machine allows. 0 degrees pitch should be mid stick with the top being 9 or 10 degrees positive and the bottom the same negative. When the stick is in the center the mixing levers should be level and the swash plate in the middle of its throw and 0 degrees on the blades. Also in most installations the push rod should be 90 degrees to the servo arm at mid stick.

Then you set normal up so that you have 5 degrees pitch at 3/4 stick, 0 at mid and -3 or -4 or whatever your comfortable with at bottom stick. When you're ready for idle up set -9, -5, 0, +5, +9, this way when you switch to idle up your heli won't jump. You adjust head speed by a combonation of proper engine tuning and throttle curves.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:42 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

dporter,

The settings for IDL1/2 may be inhibited in the radio. Do this:

Go to the Basic Menu section.
Scroll to ATV and set the throttle ATV to 100% on both sides.
With the throttle stick at half, set the servo arm on the collective servo 90 degrees to the body of the servo so you have equal travel both ways.
Set the collective bell crank or arm to 90%, with the swash halfway up the shaft, and the blades should be at 0 degrees.
Go to the Advanced Menu and to the Pitch Curve section for "IDL 1".
Switch G on the transmitter is the mode switch, with the switch up towards you is "IDL 2", the middle is "IDL 1" and away from you is "Norm".
Set switch G to the middle position and hit the START + button to show the "ON" indication on the screen. "INH" is the default setting until you activate the mode with the START + button. You may have to scroll with the < or > buttons until the "INH" display flashes, then push the START + button to activate it.
Verify that by setting switch G to the NORM position, (away from you), turns IDL 1 "OFF" on the screen, and vice-versa. With the modes activated, you should either have a "ON" or "OFF" display when in the PI-CRV menu, depending on the position of switch G. If "INH" stills shows, the mode isn't activated. Proceed to set your 5 points of the curve by using a pitch gauge on a blade and adjusting the % settings until you get the negative and positive settings on all 5 points that you want.
IDL 2 is set the same way. You may need to activate it also with the START + button so "INH" goes to either "ON" or "OFF", depending on the position of switch G.
All of this applies to the Futaba 8U, but it should be similar in other Futaba radios.
Don't forget that "THROTTLE HOLD" has it's own pitch curve as well. I set mine to the same values as "NORM".

Jesse

Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 AM
dporter

Yes, I understand the concept, I just can't figure out the application. I have the switches activated, control arms set properly, curves input, etc. but I get no negative pitch like I explained above.

What I really need (besides an instructor) is a copy of someone's radio setup for a Caliber using an 8U radio. In other words, does anyone have their setup written down with the values/settings for all the menus?

Or, are there any experienced flyers in the Wichita Falls, TX area who could look at my setup?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:23 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

http://www.pilotlocator.net
Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me like the heli is setup with no negative pitch mechanically and that needs to be addressed first, Cuda's first post should be descriptive enough for you to make a go of getting it set correctly.

kc
Old 03-30-2007, 02:56 AM
PlaneHeli

I may be too late here, perhaps youve sorted it.

But if your radio settings are correct and your not getting enough throw. You may need to adjust the servo linkages (outer = more throw) or adjust the L linkages if possible to achieve more pitch movement.