Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

caliber 30 clutch failure

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

caliber 30 clutch failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
ross001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caliber 30 clutch failure

Hi,

I've had a caliber 30 for about a year now and had my clutch fail yesterday.
I was practicing autorotation approaches and the engine suddenly started "screaming", I then lost all power and auto'd the heli safely down. The engine was still running and I later noticed that 3 teeth of my main gear were gone!!

Is it unusual for a cluth to go this soon?? Does anyone know how my main gear teeth could have broken off??

Can anyone give me some advice to removing the clutch shoe. I've looked at the caliber maintenance manual and the caliber 30 clutch shaft seems to screw into it,yet everything I have tried doesn't work. If anyone has removed the clutch or knows how to can you please tell me.

The engine is an O.S32SX-H.

Thanks a lot,
Ross
Old 10-15-2006, 09:15 PM
ecmiller

Default RE: caliber 30 clutch failure

Your problem doesn't sound like it originated from the clutch. There are really only two ways you shear teeth. One way is to not have the proper clearance between the gears as they mesh. The other cause is your main rotor striking something, like the ground or the tail boom. It doesn't take much. The engine "scream" you mention was a direct result of the sheared off teeth.

Replace the gear and get back on the horse, once you figure out how to get it apart. Run a piece of paper or a .003 plastic shim between the gears before you tighten everything up. This will give you the proper clearance.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the second part of your question...I have not had mine apart yet.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
ross001

hi EcMiller,

I managed to remove the clutch and the problem was that my clutch had siezed and was larger than usual, meaning it was lodging itself against the clutch lining and therefore the clutch bell..It didn't allow me to turn the rotors.

I've replaced the clutch shoe, clutch bell, clutch lining and the main gear and the machine is back in running order.

Thanks for the reply,
Ross
Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 PM
BrentC

Ross,
Good to hear you are back in service! I need to replace my clutch lining also. Any tricks or tips? How did you get it off?
Thanks,
Brent
Old 10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
ross001

Hi Brent,

Do you only need to replace the lining?? or do you need to replace the entire clutch?

Ross
Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 PM
BrentC

Ross,
luckily just the clutch lining. I guess just drop the engine and remove the fan and starter coupling? Do you balance your clutch bell?
Thanks,
Brent
Old 10-20-2006, 01:37 PM
ross001

Hi Brent,

You're right about dropping the engine to remove the clutch bell...it doesn't take very long.
I didn't remove the clutch lining from mine, I bought a new bell and the lining was already fitted. The lining is basically stick tape, so it shouldn't be that hard to get off.

Rgds,
Ross