Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Initial pitch range question

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Initial pitch range question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
janfloris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial pitch range question

Hi. I have a Caliber 3 and I use a JR 2610 radio. I have a question (probably a stupid one). Most of the guys say that before you setup any curves ect on the radio, your pitch range shoud be more or less -9 to +9 (or -10 to +10) to start off with. I have connected all of my servos and linkanges, and found out that my pitch range is -11 to about +14 by default. Since all of the linkage rods on the Caliber 3 are fixed lenght plastic ones, can I just set the collective servo travel adjust on my radio to lets say 80% on low and 70% on high to get the desired -9 to +9 for the start, or is there a machanical way of decreasing or increasing the amount of pitch? I know you change the pitch range ect with your curves on the radio, but I want it to be the same top and bottom before I make any ajustments on the curves.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 AM
machdiamond

Default RE: Initial pitch range question

Hi janfloirs,

Indeed the fixed linkage gives more positive collective than negative. If you are a beginner, this is not a problem and you should not worry about it. Choose an appropriate servo horn length that gives full collective travel for the full servo movement so that your end-point adjustments are as close to 100% both directions. An adjustable link package for the Caliber 3 is available, I got mine at Ultimate Hobbies - Hillfox and cost about R250, two packets: one for the servo linkages and one for the head links. With these installed you can set up the collective for equal range. It was only when I wanted to hover inverted that I insisted on greater neg range although I cant say that I've needed it. Refer to your post "needle valve settings"
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 AM
janfloris

Thank you for the info. What are your pitch values for normal and idle1 modes with your Caliber 3? Also, what is your throttle curve like? I have a Irvine .39 in mine. Will something like -4,6,9 deg and throttle 0,45,65,85,100 for Normal and -9,0,+9 deg and throttle 100,70,55,70,100 for Idle1 be OK?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 AM
machdiamond

To be honest it's going to be difficult to tell by quoting numbers. When I started out I was using a Hitec Optic6 Tx and when I got my Futaba 9CH I just copied the curves over to the new radio and NOTHING was the same! I still have a tad more +collective than neg but have found that the following is roughly good...

NORMAL: Pitch 40,50,60,70,85
Throt 0,40,55,75,100

Idle 1: Pitch 25,45,55,70,90
Throt 100,75,55,75,100

Idle 2: Pitch 0,25,50,75,100
Throt 100,75,55,75,100

As I mentioned, these are just more or less the thing to start with and I found that the Hover-Throttle and Hover-Pitch trim tabs come in very handy to fine tune the thing to get just the right head speed, you dont want to overspeed the thing but if too low it will get the wobbles and not look very stable, so just ramp up the throttle curve a bit at a time and you will soon have it sorted.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 AM
janfloris

I just took it out for a flight - the first since I repaired it after the crash of last Saturday. It was a bit wobbly at times, but I just lowered the pitch a little and increased the throttle. The only thing that worries me is the engine running EXTREMELY hot. You can't touch it for even half a second! If I set the needle to a little richer setting, but then the heli will not lift off at just over 1/2 stick as it should, so it seems that it is too righ then. The engine also cut out while in mid air and I had a HARD "landing", breking one of the Rotor Grips' control arms. Since Ultimate hobbies are the oly Kyosho dealers that I know off, it is a hell of a long drive from Pretoria where I am just for a Rotor Grip! I never had an Irive engine and dont relay know them well. Are the supposed to run that hot?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
machdiamond

I feel your pain brother! I have to drive a heck of a way as well but contack Neil (0114758640) at Ultimate Hobbies. He has sent stuff for me via courier - better than trying your luck on the highway!

You should be able to touch the crank back-plate for at least 15secs (like a hot cup of coffee). I dont know the Irvine at all but I had a very similar problem. What fuel are you running - I have learnt to stay away from the castor fuels and just changing the fuel I use has made a BIG difference.
Do you have a stock fan on? May not be good enough/compatable with your engine...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 AM
janfloris

Yes I use castor fuel. 15% nitros. Should I try the synthetic ones? It does have the stock fan on.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:34 AM
machdiamond

My Kyosho engine overheated so bad (in the beginning) that it overheated the clutch shoe and so destroyed 2 clutches... I now have the aluminium clutch bell (Caliber 5) fitted and only run synthetic oil based fuel. I tried Morgans fuel but had the engine quit on me so no more of that... I swear my problems ended when I changed to Xfuel and always change your glow plug after every 5L.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 AM
janfloris

Where can I get Xfuel. Who sells it?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
machdiamond

SAModelSport, Golden Drive, Benoni. Contact Henke on 0114250850.