RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kyosho Helicopters (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/)
-   -   New (old) Concept 30 questions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/191127-new-old-concept-30-questions.html)

sparky4lawndart 07-10-2002 09:23 PM

New (old) Concept 30 questions

I just started finishing the concept 30 I bought here on RCUniverse and I need some help.

I had hoped to rely on some of the talent in the area to help me setup/dial-in this, my first, heli.

I've bought 5 Futaba 3003 servos and a new GY240 gyro and installed them... Another thread says that the servos are no good for a heli... Is that true? I have no idea how to setup the gyro... Can I just plug it in? On my Hitec 7 radio, the instructions say to put the rudder servo in channel 4 and the gyro in channel six... how does the gyro control the rudder if I dont use the pass-thru connector (on the gyro)???

Most of the linkages are 90deg (I think)... Too many moving parts!!!

Anyone local to Orange County (SoCalifornia) that could help a relatively poor and not-so-bright R/C destroyer of models...

I've spent too much money on this to kill it with ignorance...

greenboot 07-10-2002 11:37 PM

Keep reading about helis in these newsgroups. You'll learn alot, but don't believe everything. The servos will work fine until you decide to "move up".

The rudder servo plugs into the gyro and the gyro then occupies two channels in the receiver. One to get rudder inputs, the second to set the gain.

Strap on some training gear, get someone (experienced with helis) to look it over, and have at it!

Tom

bdphil 07-11-2002 02:48 AM

It doesn't sound like you have the manuals for the gyro (or heli?). The gyro manual is available on the Futaba website, and the concept 30 manual is still available on the Kyosho site (just look in the discontinued helicopters section).

The servos will work fine for now, I have four of them in a concept 30 that I've been flying for years. Try to find someone local who can help you look everything over, and I'll second the training gear advice.

Ben

jugger18 07-11-2002 12:52 PM

eclipse manual is wrong

not real familiar with the gy 240 but this should be fairly common to all HH gyros and the eclipse. I personally have the CSM 360. The servo goes into the gyro and then the main gyro lead goes to channel 4. The manual is wrong when it says 6 as this is the pitch channel. If the gy240 has a seperate plug for say HH on/off like mine i went with channel 7 and used the front switch on the tx to turn it on/off. Channel 5 is also a possibility as the gyro menu (for remote gain adj.) controlss channel 5. Hope this helped
Andrew

sparky4lawndart 07-11-2002 02:53 PM

gy240 gyro

First, thanks for making me feel OK about the servos... I was worried there for a minute...

The new Futaba gy240 gyro only has two leads, one for the rudder servo to plug into and one that plugs into the reciever.
The instructions that came with the gyro don't indicate another lead or where to plug it into.

here's a another question... If the linkages are at 90deg and the paddles are horizontal, should the main blades have an AOA off horizontal? (clarification: if the paddles are flat, should the main blades be flat as well?)

thanks

Lift 07-11-2002 04:32 PM

sparky4lawndart,
Not trying to be rude at all but you really need to download the manual.

http://www.kyosho.com/manuals/index.html

This will get the majority of your questions answered better than we can. Unless of course the manual is wrong.

But, yes even if the paddles are held level the blades can still be at a +/- angle if the swashplate is not at zero degrees. Ideally you setup up the radio system from servo to swashplate at zero degrees with the pushrods set to the recommended lengths in the manual. Then, you set the pushrods from swash to washout assembly and etc. according to manual. If you have everything set correctly then with the left transmitter stick(mode 2) perfectly centered and the flybar paddles level you will have zero degrees on the blades.

Hope this helps.

jugger18 07-11-2002 08:51 PM

ok

rudder servo into gyro, gyro into channel 4

sparky4lawndart 07-16-2002 03:45 PM

My first flight... last night

WOW... Now I know why you guys love helis! it was awesome...

I had the Concept dialed in by a heli trainer guy nearby...(found one) and I flew it for the first time last night...

WOW... (I can't say that enough) It was great. Even though I only hovered around for about 5 (very long) minutes), it was one of the most rewarding R/C experiences for me.

Based on last night's flight, I understand how easy it is to become disoriented and lose control. I did not crash, but had to abruptly land not more than 10 feet from my neighbors new BMW M5... eeek

Next steps, I've got to find a resource online that will help me perform all the maneuvers I here about in these forums

thanks everyone...

greenboot 07-16-2002 04:19 PM

Well, I'd say your next step is to have your neighbor move his BMW into the street. Do you have any idea how much it costs to have one of those things fixed? :0)

You will have lots of fun with that little Concept.

Tom