RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kyosho Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/)
-   -   I got a caliber 30 for Christmas. Now what???? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/441196-i-got-caliber-30-christmas-now-what.html)

Stratos 12-27-2002 04:52 AM

I got a caliber 30 for Christmas. Now what????

Hey all,

I'm completely new to helis. In fact this is the second day I ever read anything from the heli section in RCU :p
Here is my first question. I read some posts allready and I saw people putting the Fut9202 on the 30. Is this necessary? I already have 5 3001s that I can use but if there is a specific reason why I need to go with the 9202s then I'll go that way.
Second question is about the gyro: Will a 401 work ok with a 3001 servo or I need to get the 401/9253 combo or maybe the 401 with another servo?
Also where do you guys buy your heli stuff online? From what I saw so far Tower is a ripoff. Any other links out there.

Thanks for the help :)

bobfox 12-27-2002 12:42 PM

401 Servo

I'm also fairly new to heli's and I have a Caliber 30 on the bench being assembled.

The 401 gyro can be used either with a high speed digital servo or with a "regular" servo BUT there's a switch on the gyro that has to be correctly set for the proper servo. Put it on digital and it will fry your servo. Obviously, the regular (analog) servo will not give you the level of performance that the digital will, but you probably won't notice until you get further along in your skills.

I don't use the 3001 so I can't answer the rest of your question. If they are ball bearing servos, they are probably okay for now. Again, servo quality, especially with CCPM (Or whatever Kyosho calls it), is a case of getting what you pay for. The better servos give better perfromance.

Good luck.

Bob

bobfox 12-27-2002 12:49 PM

Heli Parts

Sorry, forgot a part of the response.

Try Heliproz.com for parts and heli's. They all fly the products they sell, are great to answer questions and take the time with you to get it right. My experience is that they are rarely out of stock. Actually, I don't recall them having missed once in perhaps ten orders from them.

Subtle hint- you need a one way (Torgensen, I think it's called) start shaft for the Caliber to start the engine. It's a special start shaft that allows the heli engine to run faster than the starter once it's running. (why Kyosho did it this way is beyond me- It's one of a kind, I think.)

Bob

basmntdweller 12-27-2002 07:45 PM

For beginning hovering and basic forward flight the 3001's are fine. As you progress, you'll want the 9202's or digitals. I have never tried the 401 with anything other than the 9253. After I had flown for a year or so with regular piezo gyros and standard servos. The first time I flew my 401/9253 combo, I decided all my helis would have no less than this combo.
I've had good service from,,,
http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...tore_Code=heli
as well as the forementioned helipros. I have not dealt with gr8lakes (I think that's it) but have heard good reports about them.
I know lots of people bash Tower but I have for the most part had very good dealings with them.
I've also had good dealings with heli-world.com.
The caliber 30 is a great flying heli, you'll love it!
basmntdweller

Bill F 12-28-2002 11:34 AM

I fly my caliber with the 3001's except for the tail I use a headspeed servo. They gyro I am using is a gy240 but I would like a 401 someday.

Ju87BStuka 12-28-2002 12:52 PM

Welcome to the Caliber world guys. You have a great heli in stock form. I wouldn't worry about upgrades at this stage as it is quite study, the head is more durable than most, is stable yet responsive. Do use the CCPM electronic mixing though. Have you joined a club and had it set up, since flying a poorly set up heli is like fighting a wild dervish. Have fun

basmntdweller 12-28-2002 03:12 PM

Uhhh,,, what's a dervish?
basmntdweller

Ju87BStuka 12-28-2002 05:55 PM

Never heard of a whirling dervish? Ooops English venacular. Described to mean a madly uncontrollable fighter, derived I think from an Asian warrior tribe who were deemed to be quite a bit frightening.

davidj 12-28-2002 06:33 PM

Hey that would be a great name for a heli THE DERVISH Sounds better than Freya of Sceadu or Ergo for that matter.

basmntdweller 12-28-2002 09:13 PM

From Merriam-Webster website:

Main Entry: der·vish
Pronunciation: 'd&r-vish
Function: noun
Etymology: Turkish dervis, literally, beggar, from Persian darvIsh
Date: 1585
1 : a member of a Muslim religious order noted for devotional exercises (as bodily movements leading to a trance) 2 : one that whirls or dances with or as if with the abandonment of a dervish

I had to look it up. I had heard the term before and always guessed it was some kind of small wild animal.
basmntdweller

Ju87BStuka 12-28-2002 09:19 PM

So now we know...... Not sure whether my Caliber sends me into a trance, and it doesn't pirouette like that