Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Corona and hacker motor

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Corona and hacker motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:48 PM
C62dy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona and hacker motor

I am new to helis and having a slight problem. To get the the 120 off the ground I need a fair amount of throttle, but once in the air, I have to keep decreasing the throttle to almost 0 to keep the heli from rising.

I am using a Hacker motor and 40-30 esc. Unless I let the motor spool up for about 10 to 15 sec I get the same results.

This is taking off with a fresh pack ready to go. It hovered about 3' for 5 sec. and started to climb at a little over half throttle. After that I was constantly decreasing throttle to keep it under 50'. Unti'll the tree reached out and got it.

Could use the info. Thanks Jer
Old 09-19-2003, 05:37 AM
gmaster

Default RE: Corona and hacker motor

now that doesnt sound right.. i run a Hacker on my corona.. what kind of throttle curve do you have set?
Old 09-20-2003, 03:12 PM
C62dy

What ever came with the radio. I am still trying to figure out the radio settings on the JR. Just started getting used to the Futaba but had too many range problems. What would be a cood setting for the Corona using the Hacker?

thanks
Old 09-20-2003, 05:28 PM
gmaster

my throttle curve is set like this THCV 0-30-50-70-100.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:52 PM
gregw

What ESC do you have? If it's a Castle Creations, then you'll need to set the throttle mode to "Fixed Throttle" instead of "Auto Sensing" for a Corona..

-- Edit --
Oops.. Just read more carefully that you have a 40-30 ESC... so, don't know if the same solution applies..
Old 09-20-2003, 07:22 PM
C62dy

Does the hacker need any upkeep? It sounds like the bearings or something is making clicking type noise when spinning by hand without the boom on. With the jedi esc, should the brake be on or off? I have heard different opinions on this.

I will look at and change throttle curve settings to see if it improves.

Thanks for the help guys

Jer
Old 09-20-2003, 07:49 PM
KnimRod

Make sure your in normal or throttle mode. If your somehow in governor mode, you will have limited control of rpm. Your Corona won't be too happy with that.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:21 AM
gregw

Brakes should always be set to OFF for heli... You REALLY don't want the ESC to break the motor as it could cause the teeth on your rotor gears to break..
Old 09-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

I have a Corona with a Mega 16/15/3 brushless and a Castle Phoenix 35. My heli does exactly as you describe, but only if forward flight. When it picks up any forward speed, the amount of lift increased dramatically and I have to back off to about 1/3 throttle. I went with 4' 4' blade setup to increase rotor RPM. The problem I was having was that if the rotors slowed down too much in forward flight, I lost tail rotor authority.

Anyway, all this assumes your problem is in forward flight, in which case, this is normal and you could try the 4' 4' blade pitch setup (just remember that in a hover, the heli will feel 'mushier').

Jason
Old 09-23-2003, 07:09 PM
C62dy

The brake or gov. was on. I Turned it off and tried flying again before checking the throttle settings on my rx. Bad move. The heli seemed to spool up ok,but ( as I am slill learning) I got a little to close to a tree and it got the 120 at about 50'. I cracked the tail fin just below the gear box, and destroyed the rear mounting setup I made for JR landing gear. It also took the seventh cell off of my battery pack.

I have to do a little fixing before I get her up and flying again, but I appreciate all the help everyone has given me. It will take a few days to get flying again. The wife has chores. I will let you guy's know how it goes.

Thanks again

Jeremy