Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Radio ant. Problem

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Radio ant. Problem

Old 09-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Rcman4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio ant. Problem

Ok so here's the deal, I have a JR R600 that I put a Deans 2 peice mini ant. on. Ever since I did this, it hasn't passed the radio check, like I can't walk very far with the transmitter before loosing control. I twisted part of the ant. that I cut off onto the end of the ant. plug and it worked like normal. So is the actual Deans ant. bad or what is up? Little help please, thanks
-Brett
Old 09-20-2003, 08:52 AM
T.W.

Default RE: Radio ant. Problem

The instructions on my Deans said to coil the original cable, not cut it off. I don't know if this is where your problem is, but it couldn't hurt to re-check your instrructions

Tony
Old 09-20-2003, 03:20 PM
C62dy

I had the same problem after installing the deans antenna. I followed the instructions with the antenna, and cut the orig. antenna lead between the 4 and 10 inches it instructed me to and had range problems also.

I never heard to coil the original antenna wire. After reinstalling the piece I cut I had Much better Range.

Jer
Old 09-20-2003, 10:59 PM
Rcman4life

C62dy-
Yeah I put the original back on and it worked just like new...I am so lost, whats this coiling business? My instructions say to cut it.
-Brett
Old 09-20-2003, 11:34 PM
fiat

I have flown RC planes for many years and even for the scale look you sometimes need to cut some ant. but this was never a good thing to do , you always loose some reception. On my 110 lmh I just run the ant. to the bottom of the fin then back to the skid with a light duty rubber band. Works just fine for me I too use JR radio but have used futaba many years also.. Just my 2 cents worth..
Old 09-21-2003, 10:51 AM
hooaa
My Feedback: (1)

What's the concensus among us, cut the wire short or not?
In my case I cut it to about 6" and connected it to the Dean's. I never tried coiling it first. During a typical flight the Corona 120 will jerk violently and a boomstrike will occur perhaps 2-3 times. I have always attributed this to signal dropout and a sudden loss of throttle command to the motor controller. If I had a radio with failsafe I would set it to remember the last throttle command and dropout would be prevented.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:02 AM
T.W.

As I said, I coiled the original cable and connected the end to the Deans Ant and I've never had a problem. I definitely wouldn't want to fly my LMH (or anything else for that matter) if violent glitches are happening. It could easily lead to total loss of control

Tony
Old 09-21-2003, 12:03 PM
gmaster

i never had any problems with glitches or anything.. i did the exact same thing i cut the receiver wire to 6" (in between 4" and 10") and then soldered it to the deans mini antena.. never had a problem. this is using a hitec 555 receiver..
Old 09-21-2003, 12:05 PM
hooaa

T.W.,
Two friends fly 120's also. One has cut the antenna short, the other runs the wire out the boom. BOTH of them report that they experience the same glitches as I. There is no loss of control, however, because it recovers quickly. It does eventually make for an ugly boom, however.

I also use a Hitec 555.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:32 PM
T.W.

You could try wrapping your reciever with cooking foil (don't laugh!). This has been know to cure glitches with electric-powered fixed-wingers in the past

Tony
Old 09-21-2003, 09:08 PM
hooaa

I tried adding the wire in a coil . It seemed worse so I removed it. In the process I moved the receiver forward about an inch to add separation between it and the motor. I also unbundled the conroller lead from the hi-current motor leads. This seems to have helped. I'll know better when I fly it the usual 100+ feet away from me.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:13 PM
gmaster

you might want to try to relocate your receiver and/or ESC because that could cause some of this interference you are having.. like i said earlier i run the stock setup with a hacker brushless motor and hacker esc and i never had any glitches.. maybe i was just lucky..
Old 09-21-2003, 09:26 PM
hooaa

gmaster,
The primary source of noise comes from the arcing of the brushes on the commutator. This explains why you never had a problem of this nature. For those of us with brushed motors there are little things we can do to reduce the effect that arcing produces. Definitely add three capacitirs across motor terminals if not built in (Fusion motor does not include them), plus careful lead routing and receiver placement.
It's better to leave the ground and fly into the wind then break wind and fly into the ground!
Old 09-21-2003, 10:34 PM
gmaster

i have known other people who even have brushless and still got glitches.. i didnt mean that because i had a brushless i didnt need to move stuff around... i was basically mentioning it because a few of my friends who have regular brushed motors had to move their ESC in different locations away from their motor and receiver.. and i have heard of people wrapping their ESC in foil and other things even with a brushless.. to solve glitching.. i doubt it has anything to do with the deans antenna unless its not soldered good or something else.. placement has a lot to do with glitching as well as other things..
Old 09-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Rcman4life

Hey everyone thanks for the info although I know for a fact that it is the deans ant. I have moved the receiver all the way out of the plane(as far as wires let me) and it still glitched like mad. It will glitch motor on or off, doesn't matter. The solder is good and I cut the ant. at 6" when I cut it. And like I said before it workes fine if I go back to the original, long, antenna. I think, unless someone here comes up with a miracle, I will just stay with my long antenna.