Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

LMH 117 No Start - HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

LMH 117 No Start - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 PM
eightsofar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMH 117 No Start - HELP!

I am trying to start my LMH 117 for the first time, brand new. I'm using WildCat 15% and a Hobbico Torqmaster 90 starter. I'm running two washers under the glowplug. Everything seems to be set up OK, but the engine won't fire. I am suspecting the starter is not putting out enough speed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rick Hostler
Old 11-13-2003, 07:13 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: LMH 117 No Start - HELP!

I'm using the same starter and it works fine for me. Is your glo starter charged? If it is try blocking the intake with your finger as you spin the engine.......this should make sure that you have fuel to the venturi. Also open you throttle some as you try to start it......just make sure you or a friend have a firm hold on the rotor. Is this a vmax7 or 6?
Mark
Old 11-13-2003, 07:58 PM
eightsofar

Mark,
I have a panel ready glow starter. I removed the plug from the engine and plugged it in. As it glowed, I operated the starter to make sure the glow plug was still glowing. I also tried putting my thumb over the intake to draw fuel from the tank. I also tried it at various throttle settings but still nothing. Could the incoming fuel be cooling down the plug enough to keep it from igniting the fuel. I don't want to turn up the glow setting too much and burn out the plug. With or without the starter turning, the meter shows the plug amps in the good range. I'm running a Vmax 7. Well, that's where I'm at. Thanks for your reply.

Rick
Old 11-13-2003, 08:20 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Rick, the only time that my torqmaster starter would not start my vmax7 easily was when my 12 volt battery was weak. Then the starter was too slow.....but I still managed to get it to start. Usually it starts immediately. I would go ahead and raise the voltage on the glo-panel or try a self contained glo starter. What is your ambient temperature where you are trying to start the engine? The engines can be stubborn to start when it's cold outside (if you're outside). I have started mine inside but my wife made me stop. Anyway, I hope this helps.......there is a guy that visits this forum (T.W.) that never did get his vmax7 to start........I still can't figure that one out.
Mark
Old 11-13-2003, 08:37 PM
eightsofar

Mark,
It is cold outside here in PA and I'm trying to start it just inside my garage. Although the light on the power panel shows green for a charged battery, it is possible that it is too weak and affecting the starter. I will turn up the power to the glow starter after I recharge my 12v battery. I will let you know if we are on the right track or if there will be two of us that never got our vmax 7's to run. LOL Thank for all your suggestions.

Rick
Old 11-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Spiro

Sounds like you are checking all of the right things.

I run my Vmax7 glow plug off of a power panel too. I find the plug works best when I have the meter pretty high, it is well into the upper “hot” range. The plug should glow very hot when looking at it, bright yellow or almost white.

I hope this doesn’t sound too dumb, but make sure you are turning the starter in the correct direction. I have mixed up my starter leads once or twice and it took me a few tries before figuring out what on earth could be going on… With the starter on the starting cone, the starter should be spinning clockwise as viewed from above or counter clockwise as viewed from below the heli.

Fill the tank and take the needle out all of the way. Fuel should come out of the carb where the needle screws in. If you have no fuel blockage problems, go ahead and screw the needle back in.

What do you have the needle set at? 3 turns out would be a good place to start.

I usually have to start the engine at a fairly high throttle. 75% works well most of the time, but I put it wide open if it gives me any trouble.

It sure sounds like you are trying all of the right things. My experience has always been that the Vmax7 starts up very fast, hot days or cold. If you have fuel, a hot plug, and a spinning starter, it should light right up…

Best of luck and let us know how it goes

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 PM
eightsofar

Spiro,
You mentioned starter rotation. That is actually the first thing I checked. I am new to nitro rc so I believe that I am probably not running the glow plug hot enough. I will try pulling the needle valve out and checking fuel delivery. I was trying to start it with the needle out 2-1/2 turns. I will try 3 turns out and open the throttle a little more. Is two washers under the plug OK for a brand new engine? I'll let you guys know how I make out. Thanks for everything.

Rick
Old 11-14-2003, 01:14 AM
spdfrek
My Feedback: (12)

I have a torq master 90 as well...it wont fire up my v6....but a quick bump from the dremel well lite it up instantly....And the dual batterys in my diesel I doubt were to bad if you can id try to borrow a high speed starter just to see

Joey
Old 11-14-2003, 06:44 AM
T.W.

Hi Rick,

Hope you get your V-7 running. I tried for almost three weeks to get mine to run, and then gave-up trying and re-fitted my old V-6. I've actually made a little progress with the V-7 since then (will post when I understand "why!")

From my own experience, for what it's worth: Check that the washers are installed correctly and are not getting caught in the thread, and make sure your cylinder head is tightened down real tight

Good luck,

Tony
Old 11-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Spiro

Two washers is somewhat high compression for breaking the motor in. Litemachines recommended 3-4 to me, if I recall. One or two washers should be fine for normal running, however. I usually run with one washer after initial break in, as per Litemachines recommendation to me, and it works fine. You can try a couple of more washers if you like, but I doubt this is your problem if you aren't even getting the engine to pop.

2 1/2 - 3 turns on the needle should be ok. 2 1/2 would be pretty lean for me, but it would definitely start. I would recommend you stay closer to 3 while you break it in at least.

How long are you turning the motor for with the starter on each try? It usually takes me 5 seconds or so on the first start of the day while the carb draws fuel through the lines. Subsequent starts are less than 1/2 second.

I used to start mine with a torqmaster starter. 60 size I think, if that is an option… One time I tried the little blue LMH starter and found that not only did it spin the engine much faster, but it also fit into my flight box much more easily I have been using the blue starter since, but I used the torqmaster for years without any problem before I made the switch.

Also, I don’t know what starting “technique” you are using, but I usually hold it from underneath and let the blades spin about. I find that the engine will not idle low enough to run while not engaging the clutch. I just let the blades turn and keep well clear of everything while I start it and set it down. If I try to hold the blades, the motor will die if it is at a low throttle setting, or if at a high setting I have to be very careful about letting go of the blades and getting my hand out while the engine is screaming…

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Old 11-14-2003, 12:37 PM
cherikeered

Hey i live in Pittsburgh(not sure where new london is) and I use 4-6 washers now that it is about 40 degrees out. I also had to start it at full throttle until it was broken in, now i can start at about 50% throttle. After break in you should be able to start with less washers.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:00 PM
eightsofar

Spiro,
It's Friday here in PA, I'm going to charge up my 12v battery today and will try to start the heli on Sat. The wife has a baby doc visit this afternoon and then it's out for a quiet dinner for two. We're having our eighth child on New Years Eve so we don't have too many quiet nights!!! LOL Anyway, I'll get back on here Sat. afternoon and let you all know how it went. Thanks again.

Rick
Old 11-14-2003, 02:07 PM
eightsofar

cherikeered,

New London is in the southeastern part of PA, right at the Delaware/Maryland/Pa intersection. It is about ten degrees warmer here. I will try four washers and see how that goes. I will try letting the blades spin free as I start it, like Spiro recommends, at about 75% throttle. We homeschool five so it's time that I went and played teacher. Thanks for your help and I'll get back here soon.

Rick
Old 11-16-2003, 06:55 PM
eightsofar

Default RE: LMH 117 No Start - HELP! (UPDATE)

Hey Guys!!

It runs, it runs!!! Through all your suggestions, including the use of my starter, I got my bird to start and run today! I need to charge up the receiver pack before I proceed to the first flight. I'll let you know how that goes. Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

Rick