Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Flying courses?

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Flying courses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:07 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying courses?

Just wondering......how many of you actually put yourself to the test by flying circles around some type of obstacle? I fly in a 10-15 acre open field and flying l.h and r.h circles in that kind of open space was pretty easy to learn. Close to my landing zone is a brush pile of about 10-12' diameter and 4-5' in height. It wasn't in my flight path but I soon began to wonder if I was good enough to tightly circle the brush pile......I wasn't. But with practice I became able. It has really helped with my ability to gently control cyclic and altitude. So today I wondered if I could circle the brush pile with the nose always facing the pile.......I couldn't. Oh boy!....another challenge!
Mark
Old 06-16-2004, 04:08 AM
KLRico

Default RE: Flying courses?

I love to do that kind of stuff...

I like to fly around myself sort of control line style. To add a challange to it try it backwards, nose in, or tail in... It gets pretty hard to do... and occasionally I have to jump out of the way. [X(]

At one of the places I fly, the treeline to a forest is close by, so I'll fly around while I walk over there and then fly around and inbetween the trees. At another park I fly at there is a row of trees along a sidewalk and I will walk along the sidewalk doing a slalam (sp?) between the trees.

Precision landings onto mailboxes and other fixed objects, and doing limbo type of flying is also pretty fun.

The LMH is great for that type of stunt flying because a little run-in with fixed objects rarely causes any real damage... at least to the helicopter.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:32 PM
YOGIGURU

Last week after mowing my lawn, I painted two "helipads" on the grass with white spray paint.
One at each end of the yard. My neighbors are considering calling the rubber truck.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:25 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, i know its not a heli, but i do enjoy going to the local high school when no one is around and flying my funtana inverted through the uprights on the football field.

sean
Old 06-30-2004, 11:41 AM
eegadsman

When I first decided I was proficient with hovering my 110, I decided to (in my mind, obviously) be a kid and play like my heli was a news chopper covering a story.. I'd find a patch of grass, and fly around it, as if shooting video.. at first, just along side, but as time went on, and I became better at nose-in hovering, I'd take turns going nose in at it, or just along side of it, but all the while try to maintain altitude throughout.. it's a real challenge, and your low enough to the ground that you likely wont hurt anything if you do something wrong (not that it would really hurt the 110 anyways but..)... and if you can regress back to days of playing with GI Joe's and stuff, then you'll have fun doing it :-p
Old 06-30-2004, 09:47 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys, I've been on vacation with the family but before I left I managed to trash my heli coursing around that brush pile. Actually I think that the fore/aft cyclic servo played a part in the crash....but there was some wind also.....and I did get disoriented.....anyway, the heli did find the ground (ouch!!!). Just got everything back in working order yesterday. I had ordered the metal gear set for the Hitech servo sometime ago. Boy did that smooth that servo out.....it had been jerky....must have had some gear damage. Circled the brush pile right and left hand.....it felt GOOD! I have enjoyed reading about everybody's flying stunts/games. These things are a blast aren't they?
Mark
Old 07-01-2004, 08:59 AM
notasme

So, here is a little game that can be fun. Set out some empty plastic bottles standing up-right and try to knock them down without the heli touching the ground. Oh yes, blowing them over does not count either. Empty milk cartons work well for this little game. You can add to this game by setting them in a course that you fly.